I'm interested in getting a guitar good for funk. Only thing I know of is a Strat. What else is there? Think Kool and the Gang and Rick James
Strats- and clones of Strats- are the #1 guitar of choice among funk guitarists. But, like any other genre, there have been players* who cut their own groove, and used Teles, LPs, SGs, Firebirds, ES-355s, Jacksons, BC Rich, and whatever they preferred to use.

* like Eddie Hazel, Mike Hampton, Prince and "Captain" Kirk Gibson.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 22, 2014,
Funk guitar is more about an amp with a good clean tone and some minimal flavoring of your signal with pedals. By that, I mean that you'll see guys using huge pedal boards, but they use most of the effects on them sparingly as opposed to full-out.

You'll want a good classic wah & echo/reverb, plus a decent fuzz & distortion pedal. But again, except the wah, you're not diming out those pedals. Restraint is key: flavor your clean tone, don't overwhelm it.

Chorus isn't too common.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 23, 2014,
Strats rule the roost in funk but teles and anything with a nice bright tone will work. Get an Envelope follower or envelope filter depending on who makes it (these are a kind of auto wah that works on your pick attack they are very cool.) and a good compressor.
Theme from Shaft was a Les Paul. really doesn't matter that much. don't forget a wha.
The other guitarist in my band is a really solid player and he exclusively uses Strats and Teles. He sometimes tries to play some funk on my LP but it just doesn't sound right. If you really want a les Paul make sure it has coil splits and preferably an out-of-phase switch. Otherwise, Strat for sure!
Okay, so it's just like metal. You can have the "right" guitar for it but it mainly depends on your amp?
Quote by PiercedBand
Okay, so it's just like metal. You can have the "right" guitar for it but it mainly depends on your amp?

well sorta but it depends on what exactly you mean by funk. are we talking 70s style or say Red Hot Chili Peppers? much of funk comes from the playing style (choice of chords, timing etc). good cleans for 70s style and some overdrive or fuzz for more modern (although you can find plenty of both in 70s stuff like funkadelic).
Well, he did specify K&tG and...

Well, Rick James' guitarist, Tom McDermott played a Charvel Sunrise Tele (with a Jackson logo on it, because he was a Jackson endorser) and Rick James himself played a Les Paul when he played guitar (and a Rickenbacker bass).

Claydes Charles Smith of K&tG, OTOH, was a lifelong Strat man, AFAIK.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, he did specify K&tG and...

Well, Rick James' guitarist, Tom McDermott played a Charvel Sunrise Tele (with a Jackson logo on it, because he was a Jackson endorser) and Rick James himself played a Les Paul when he played guitar (and a Rickenbacker bass).

Claydes Charles Smith of K&tG, OTOH, was a lifelong Strat man, AFAIK.

yeah and the guitar player for Cameo played some kind of super strat. Brothers Johnson played LPs. ok forgot he mentioned those bands. clean amp for the most part. once again though the funk is in the chord choices and the groove of course.
Quote by Zhaezzy
Strats rule the roost in funk but teles and anything with a nice bright tone will work. Get an Envelope follower or envelope filter depending on who makes it (these are a kind of auto wah that works on your pick attack they are very cool.) and a good compressor.

Here's one on my G.A.S. list- the TWA Little Dipper MkII:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfSz4Eja0mg&sns=em

Put one of those in your pedalboard, and not only will you have a powerful funk tool, but also one of the prettiest pedals out there right now.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 24, 2014,
Oh I knew RJ played a Rickenbacker from his album cover of Street Songs, ever since I heard Glen Benton's tone from Deicide using one it just seemed more desirable. Then I went to GC's website and saw they were in the upwards of 2,000 :O Haha thanks for the tips guys, and to dannyalcatraz, I'm thinkin' about doing that along with a wah!
As I recall, Rickenbacker also makes an entry-level line with typical prices under $1000.