So how do i find the key to a song? Can i figure out the melody first and then see what notes are being used to find the key?
the only truly reliable method is to listen for it.

if you just go by the notes you'll be utterly confused probably 35% of the time. you may also find yourself unable to decide if a melody is a major key or its relative minor since those govern the same notes.
i don't know why i feel so dry
As Eastwin says above, listening is the only defiinitive way.

However when I was starting out I used to play the high E string, going up one fret at a time and playing the note until I found one that sounded good over it all. If the note didn't turn out to be the root, it would usually be the 5th, so the root was then easier to find. From there it was a matter of figuring out whether a major or minor chord with that root sounded the best.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
As Eastwin says above, listening is the only defiinitive way.

However when I was starting out I used to play the high E string, going up one fret at a time and playing the note until I found one that sounded good over it all. If the note didn't turn out to be the root, it would usually be the 5th, so the root was then easier to find. From there it was a matter of figuring out whether a major or minor chord with that root sounded the best.

Good advice. +1.
Chords, chords, chords.
And a bit of trial and error like was mentioned previously - find a few of the chords being played and work it out from there.