I recently bought my first Wah pedal (2nd hand) and I've got a few questions. It doesn't seem to have as much sweep as I was expecting. I'm not sure if 'sweep' is the correct term for what i'm trying to explain; basically what i mean is the distance from when the tone starts to change to when it's fully open. I have to rock the pedal about 1/4 of the way before the tone starts to change. The sound seems to be fine, i'm just curious why the tone doesn't adjust over the full sweep. Is this normal? I've never played a Wah before so I'm not sure. I'm using an Artec APW-7. Any help would be much appreciated.
What wah are you using? Do you hear no tonal change at all until 1/4, or is it just really undefined and muddy? A lot of your basic wahs don't have a very pleasant range IMO, the Crybaby is one that comes to mind with really muddy lows and shrill highs.

You could try messing with the little plastic track that moves the pot from high to low. You could adjust it so it starts and ends in a better tone range. http://youtu.be/ycgw0OaluZI
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Have you tried messing with the knobs on it? Try using on the "whish" option and increasing the range.

Wahs seem to really be used best when pressing from 0 to 100 for the filter to affect quickly. You probably won't be able to hear the change in frequencies until the wah starts to affect harder.
It's an Artec APE-7. It has a magnetic pot so i'm not sure if i can adjust it like in the video. Will certainly take a look inside though. And yeah, there is really no tonal change at all till about 1/4 way, even when i adjust both knobs.
Lol, I missed that last part when reading.

I am no help.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
That particular brand of wah uses a magnet (and possibly what appears to be an LED/LDR pair, along with several other components) to control the sweep.
The magnet is mounted on the treadle just behind the hinge pin.

I don't know how the magnet is held in there, but if its with a screw, you could put a plastic washer of some sort between the magnet and the treadle.
Or find some other way to get the magnet closer to the body.
If its glued on, well, you could use the same method, but picking the right type of glue, and maybe having to re-glue it several times? You're on your own there.

Here is where I found the info:
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13397

Interesting that you don't have to worry about a wah pot wearing out, but fucking stupid (IMO) not giving you a way to adjust it easily.

There may be other ways to adjust it, but without having one in my hands to do trial and error stuff, I can't say for sure.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 23, 2014,
Thanks CodeMonk! Very helpful. I only payed $30 for it so I might have a good old play around in there.