I'm about to get my christmas present, i wanted a very light OD that can still get some juicy
overdrive from it. I play lots of barre chords and almost no power chords so i needed something that sounds overdriven, yet not too overdriven for open chords/barre chords.

If anyone has tried this pedal or has it, is it worth getting, or is it bad?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/electro_harmonix_soul_food.htm

Considering it's quite cheap and has good reviews, i'm willing to give it a go!
It's a klon clone (more or less)

Yeah it sounds pretty good. For the price it's hard to go wrong. You get a good (switchable) buffer, a good clean boost, and a good light to medium overdrive/distortion all in the one pedal.

About the only problem is I've heard some complaints about EHX reliability in general. If you're in a situation where you can't afford it to fail (e.g. well-paid gigs), then maybe not. But other than that, it's hard to go wrong (and thomann has a 3-year warranty).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personally would really like to get the JHS modded one. The clipping toggle and bass contour knob are a really nice addition to the pedal.
Quote by Jordan N
I personally would really like to get the JHS modded one. The clipping toggle and bass contour knob are a really nice addition to the pedal.

JHS has some really nice stuff. I'd like to try a lot of their pedals and mods.
It has become my go- to OD pedal. For the price it's hard to beat. Sounds great at any setting.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I absolutely love it. I did a review on it not too long ago, check it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662814

Has tons of head-room, wonderful mid-range push, and well-voiced grit from light to saturated. Pushes an amp/other distortion box well too. IMO, one of the best Klones on the market, and arguably the best Klone in the SF's price range.

The only issue is that the components are somewhat sub-par. Don't drop the SF or slam it too hard.

If you're able to buy the JHS mod, I'd suggest that as well. But the original does wonders on its own.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 23, 2014,
I like the Soul Food but as a standalone pedal it doesn't have enough gain for my needs (seems like it would be right up your alley though).

I use mine in front of another dirt box just to give it a bit of a different flavor. I also like to use it on clean sounds just to add a little extra liveliness to it. The JHS version seems like a bit better of a deal really. The bass contour is something the pedal should have stock.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^^ Yeah I haven't tried the JHS version but the stock version is a bit tubby on the bass for me to use it as a boost for a high gain amp. From what I hear (again, I haven't tried this) there's more or less no point in getting the mojo germanium diodes, it doesn't make a whole heap of difference (if any).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I may add, it's also great for pushing other OD or distortion pedals. I've had a BOSS HM3 for ages that never sounded good to me, but with the SF pushing it came alive.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
YES!!! I absolutely love this pedal. It's ran through my ac30 and it truly has become my main tone! It can do everything from a boost all the way up to all the gain I will ever need! Has a great tone. Also everyone I've let play through it has loved it. In fact while recording our album our producer bought one on ebay the same day that he tried it. When he went to record his album with his producer. He bought one the same day as well. It's everything from blues to pop punk and maybe even some heavier stuff. Has a nice mid boost and sounds amazing with every amp I've tried it on. Snag it!!