I'm interested in finding a cheap, quiet tube amp for practice. I have a solid state Marshall 30w that sounds crappy and is way too loud. I'm looking for something under 10w. Thanks
If you're just practicing why do you need a tube amp? It's just for practice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I would personally use the crappy marshall for practice and get a fender tube amp. Perhaps look into the hot rod series. My mate has got a blues junior from fender and it sounds awesome even when its quiet. Fender isnt particularly cheap tho. If its purely for practice then look for an orange tiny terror head. Only 100 quid and an all tube preamp (think that would be about 150 dollars round about). Plus u can always find a cheap extension cab anywhere (u could even try ebay). Plus, if u feel the need to upgrade and do gigs, u can always take the feet off of the head and bolt it to ur pedalboard (its that small) and have a killer backup head.
what type of tone(s) do you need? budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Should of used a different word. I don't play gigs, I just jam and I have a small home studio. I really like the overdrive produced from a tube, and not and effects pedal.

Thanks I'll check those out

Warm, cool sound.'just something that works with whatever you are playing. I play everything from clean 70s riffs to modern rock
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you're just practicing why do you need a tube amp? It's just for practice.

Why not practice on a good amp? I practice on an Avatar 18w into a vintage 30 1x12, I love it. Brings out the best in my playing, i'm not relying on pedals and processing to mask my mistakes (when practicing). A low wattage tube amp is best for practice, given you like practicing clean.

It's all about what your doing.

EDIT: IDK your budget, but check out some tube class a/b tube amps like that Avatar 18w, or something like the marshall class 5 (discontinued, and not sure if it's A/B but it should be) Go with a low wattage tube amp and a good OD, you won't be sorry.

EDIT2: My bad, I see he wants to play really quiet. Sounds like a circumstance for a modeling amp like the Pod XT + Good Headphones/Monitors, which can get some good OD tones.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by The Bacon Man
I really like the overdrive produced from a tube
10w's gonna be hella loud with everyday speakers.

Even 1w isn't gonna be quiet at all, you gotta get down to 1/4w to get around my idea of quiet when overdriving the power tubes.

Though your idea comes from very wrong ideas marketing gave you - a smaller amp won't sound better than a bigger amp at low volumes only because it's smaller.
If the smaller one sounds better quiet than it will also sound better at loud, and everything's gonna sound worse at lower volumes 'cause of heavy speakers designed to be pushed and the fletcher-munson curves.

TL;DR don't get an amp only because it's small 'cause amps have volume controls and they work.

I'd go for a blackheart BH-15 with a tube screamer type pedal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Funk Monk
Why not practice on a good amp? I practice on an Avatar 18w into a vintage 30 1x12, I love it. Brings out the best in my playing, i'm not relying on pedals and processing to mask my mistakes (when practicing). A low wattage tube amp is best for practice, given you like practicing clean.

It's all about what your doing.

That's cool and all but when I'm practicing I don't give a shit about what I plug into. It's about practicing technique not about getting 'sikk slash toanz'.

It's nicer to practice on a nice amp. Sure don't get me wrong. In fact I have no practice amps at all but to imply that you need a nice amp for practice is ridiculous. I just need to hear what I'm doing.

The thing that brings out the best of my playing is me. I'd like to think I can be good regardless of what I plug into.

Quote by Spambot_2

TL;DR don't get an amp only because it's small 'cause amps have volume controls and they work.

This too. It's called a master volume for a reason.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

The thing that brings out the best of my playing is me. I'd like to think I can be good regardless of what I plug into.

There is a much more touch sensitive dynamic to Tube Amps. If you were to practice on say a Peavey Vypr instead with some modeling on, you will not hear subtle nuisances that would appear when playing sloppy on a tube amp. Just saying, a tube amp can challenge some to play better.

I see now in this circumstance though something like a Pod or Cube would be best.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
There is a much more touch sensitive dynamic to Tube Amps.
Now go trying a good solid state amp right next to a bad tube amp.

srs man tubes don't have anything to do with dynamics and touch sensitiveness and stuff, stop spreading this notions.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Funk Monk
There is a much more touch sensitive dynamic to Tube Amps. If you were to practice on say a Peavey Vypr instead with some modeling on, you will not hear subtle nuisances that would appear when playing sloppy on a tube amp. Just saying, a tube amp can challenge some to play better.

I see now in this circumstance though something like a Pod or Cube would be best.

what does dynamic have anything to do with me practicing scales or doing runs? Why would I even want dynamics when I'm just practicing dinky shit? I don't see why you'd even want dynamics in a situation like that. Low volume recording? Sure.

and yes, I play and own tube amps. I just don't buy into all that shit.

Quote by Spambot_2
Now go trying a good solid state amp right next to a bad tube amp.

srs man tubes don't have anything to do with dynamics and touch sensitiveness and stuff, stop spreading this notions.

This. All this 'tube amp' malarky is getting tiring. Yes they sound great. They aren't the be all end all, they aren't always better and they aren't always the best for a situation. If you're a bad player, you're bad regardless of the hardware you use. Glass or silicon.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
what does dynamic have anything to do with me practicing scales or doing runs? Why would I even want dynamics when I'm just practicing dinky shit?
Man that's like asking why would you wanna smell good when you're all by yourself?

What you're saying here is you don't care about sounding good when you're not playing with other people - why in the world wouldn't you wanna?

I mean, maybe it's just me who would wanna sound good anytime, though I'm guessing it's not that uncommon...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Man that's like asking why would you wanna smell good when you're all by yourself?

What you're saying here is you don't care about sounding good when you're not playing with other people - why in the world wouldn't you wanna?

I mean, maybe it's just me who would wanna sound good anytime, though I'm guessing it's not that uncommon...

Personally for me, getting a nice sound has nothing to do with practice. You can practice unplugged and that sounds like ass.

I just don't bother trying to dial in some killer tone when I'm practicing. I just plug in. You don't buy a killer amp for just practice. If you can afford it, sure. You don't need it and it won't make you better.

Also, I don't give a shit if I stink at home
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
This is all subjective opinion. Of course I would want dynamics when practicing scales. For me, "practicing scales" is practicing soloing to a chord progression, like E-A-D. Why in the hell would I not want the best tone possibly when playing in my position? It's all subjective opinion.

I'm not sure why you think i'm spreading misinformation, class A/B tube amps have LOADS of dynamics compared to most amps, even a Tube Class A. So why do you think i'm spreading lies? I am most certainly not.

EDIT: He wants something cheap, quiet, and with good OD tone that's tube like. Sounds like a cube or pod situation.

TS:
http://youtu.be/h1_kLOUITyM

Here's a guy from another forum using a roland cube 20x, check out the OD tone and consider it.

EDIT2: I'd like to point out we are all just trying to help the dude out, no need to start arguing over why Tube amps are over-rated (which they aren't).

EDIT:3
Quote by Spambot_2

Yes they most certainly do, it's the way the tubes process the signal. Ya'll need to play more blues on some tube amps, and then try to play it on your solid state amps with a good OD tone set up. The difference is huge. Stop hating.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Also, I don't give a shit if I stink at home
Right on, it seems that TS wants to practice quietly at home, so tone is important in this subject.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
class A/B tube amps have LOADS of dynamics compared to most amps, even a Tube Class A.
If by dynamics you mean literally dynamics (the volume of a sound) you're wrong 'cause two amps of the same power working in different class put out the same power, end of the story.

If by dynamics you mean the variation of some characteristics of an amp (distortion applied to the sound for example) in relation to the picking dynamics, you're still wrong 'cause that depends on gain structure mostly, and there's no reason why a tube amp can't sound more compressed than a transistor amps in the same situation and setting.

Also a class B amp will cancel the uneven harmonics so it'll give you a less "dynamic" sound than a class A amp if anything.
Quote by Funk Monk
I'd like to point out we are all just trying to help the dude out, no need to start arguing over why Tube amps are over-rated (which they aren't).
If you spread misinformation though it's in everybody's interest to correct you.

Tube amps aren't over-rated, they are over-marketed.
Quote by Funk Monk
Yes they most certainly do, it's the way the tubes process the signal. Ya'll need to play more blues on some tube amps, and then try to play it on your solid state amps with a good OD tone set up.
They don't make much good solid state amps and the ones they do aren't made to give you that kinda sound, though tubes aren't in any way inherently more dynamic than transistors.

Look up the tech stuff if you don't believe me.

Anyway, marketing helps, and the fact that most solid state amps suck and most tube amps are good helps the myth, but that's what it is - a myth.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
If by dynamics you mean literally dynamics (the volume of a sound) you're wrong 'cause two amps of the same power working in different class put out the same power, end of the story.

"Class A/B will produce two-to-three times as much power as Class A. An example would be an amplifier with two 6L6s in the power section. Operating in Class A, the maximum power we could expect would be around 20 watts, while operating in Class A/B would easily yield 50 watts."

Source:http://www.soldano.com/amp-help/class-a-vs-class-ab-guitar-amplifiers/

Shutup 'N Play Yer Guitar.

EDIT:^^^It's a Frank Zappa quote. Your trying too hard just to prove your point. We are no longer trying to help TS, but just arguing over who is right.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
That's why I wrote "two amps of the same power".

To elaborate, if two amps put out the same power they put out the same power, regardless of the mean they imply to achieve said power, be it class A, B, D, G, or T.

So in short a watt is a watt, and while going further in the alphabet the distortion usually grows, the power's still power and a class B amp putting out the same power as a class A amp will put out the same power.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Power refers to watts, not class.

EDIT: The vast majority guitar amps are either Class A or Class A/B.

So no, two amps of the same power/wattage do not necessarily put out the same power/wattage if they are of a different class.

So I say again, try to stay focused on actually helping TS, rather than proving a point.

I agree one day an amp with transistors should sound as dynamic as a tube amp.

Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Power refers to watts, not class.

EDIT: The vast majority guitar amps are either Class A or Class A/B.
Did something I wrote make you think otherwise?
Quote by Funk Monk
So no, two amps of the same power/wattage do not necessarily put out the same power/wattage if they are of a different class.
If two amps are of the same power, they put out the same power.

A 1w class A amp and a 1w class B amp will produce 1w each.

If you used all of the components of a class B amp to design a class A amp you would get more power from the former (class B), but if two amps produce the same power they produce the same power, whatever the way of producing said power is.
Quote by Funk Monk
So I say again, try to stay focused on actually helping TS, rather than proving a point.
I already suggested stuff, and proving the point here would be to help TS avoiding further confusion.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by The Bacon Man
Should of used a different word. I don't play gigs, I just jam and I have a small home studio. I really like the overdrive produced from a tube, and not and effects pedal.

Thanks I'll check those out

Warm, cool sound.'just something that works with whatever you are playing. I play everything from clean 70s riffs to modern rock

Look up Orange Tiny Terror, Laney VC15, Vox AC4V
I would go with an amp with a direct output and headphones. Problem solved and you have plenty of options: Randall Diavlos, H&K tubemeisters, Engl gigmaster, laney ironheart....
Quote by The Bacon Man
I'm interested in finding a cheap, quiet tube amp for practice.

Buy a used Epiphone Valve Jr.
5 watts, they were about $99 when first introduced. They essentially started the whole "lunch box amp" thing. There's a volume control and that's it.

"Cheap Quiet Tube Amp" for practice is a rather strange request anyway. If you can't take advantage of what tubes provide (it generally doesn't happen at low volumes), you're probably better off to use something solid state and save the money, fragility, expense, etc.

Even the 5W amps are going to be pretty loud (if cranked) for bedroom practice, and most of the 1W tube amps sound worse than their solid state brothers.
Quote by Funk Monk

I'm calling unicorn farts and fairy dust on this one. Internet Myth and foof.

That aside, if you're practicing at low volumes, you're not going to hear any of that in any case.

My suggestion, if you're really into the tube drama, would be to get a tube PREAMP, plug your headphones into that and go nuts. There's really no point in a tube power amp section for low volumes. I have two rackmount units -- a Carvin Quad-X and a Mesa Triaxis. The Carvin has nine 12AX7 tubes and up to eleven stages of gain, plus boost, noisegate, spring reverb, four channels, active controls, bass cloaking (HPF), six (yes, six) FX loops, a five-band graphic EQ (in addition to the parametrics) and a 4x12 sim for when you output the thing direct to a PA mixer. The other (the Triaxis) has a library of Mesa sounds, about five 12 AX7 tubes.

The Carvin has been out of production since the mid 90's, but is available on eBay for something in the neighborhood of $350. If you need noise out of it, you can plug it into the FX return of one of your friend's amps, into a tube power amp, or into a powered speaker of your choice.
As far as small, cheep tube amps go, the various ac4's that vox sells are pretty cool. I know at least one of them has a switch for 4 watts, 1 watt, or 1/4 watt.

That being said, if you're practicing by yourself, you don't need a tube amp. You could even get pod farm on your computer and a pair of headphones. You'd have a wide variety of tones and effects and be totally quiet. Also, way easy recording. I know it doesn't have the same cool factor, but hey.
Personally I like sounding good even when I practise. It makes me want to practise more.

The other thing is, not everyone gigs. If you gig regularly, maybe you can put up with sounding mediocre when you're not gigging. But if you don't gig, that home practice gear is all you have, and having mediocre kit for home practise means you sound bad *all the time*. Which gets old pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong- it depends on the exact home practice situation you have- if you have to play at whisper volume all the time maybe tube isn't the answer. But if you never gig, don't let someone who does tell you that how you sound at home doesn't matter- for them maybe it doesn't, but for you it probably does.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?