I have a new Black Beauty Les Paul and I was wondering about how I should replace the stock pickups. I want a good, clean sound with good harmonics; but I also want to be able to have a nice overdrive. So basically an all around guitar. I am also wondering if I should put a Bigsby Tremolo on it. What I am thinking of doing is just putting two classic Gibson '57s for neck and bridge and a Gibson Burstbucker for the middle.
Last edited by christopher0214 at Dec 23, 2014,
If you want to get a trem for a Les Paul, save your money and get a Duesenberg Les Trem: http://rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&lang=ENG&product=3667C-3667G

As for pickups, the Gibson '57s and Burstbuckers are very different animals. '57 Classics are wound with even coils (that is, each coil has roughly the same number of windings) for a thicker, creamier tone, while Burstbuckers are wound with uneven coils for a more airy, open sound.

Bear in mind, though, that you're going to wind up spending almost $500 on pickups if you go the Gibson route. Check out DiMarzio's PAF 36th Anniversary set - you can get three of those for $225 - or StewMac's Golden Age humbuckers, which you can get three of for $159. Seymour Duncan's not exactly crap either. All of those options are much cheaper than Gibson pickups, and IMO have gotten me better results.
i would try to find a humbucker sized P90 and throw it somewhere in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you have the money to spend on 3 Gibsons, I would instead go with 3 Seymour Duncan antiquities or Seth Lovers. Those are the best, widely available, PAF clones, imo. I especially love my Duncan antiquities, even over boutique pickups that cost twice as much. Fantastic, versatile pickups that sound great and are made the right way. Seymour does a good job and the antiquities are still made in his custom shop (not that it really matters, because he has been using the old Gibson Leesona winders on all of his vintage style hum buckers anyway).
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 24, 2014,
We are a Gibson family, so I am willing to spend the extra money on some Gibson pickups, I am now sure that I will have a Gibson classic '57 for neck and a '57+ for bridge. I am wondering what I should put between them.
Quote by christopher0214
We are a Gibson family, so I am willing to spend the extra money on some Gibson pickups, I am now sure that I will have a Gibson classic '57 for neck and a '57+ for bridge. I am wondering what I should put between them.

I wouldn't be so hung up on having gibsons in there as the guitar itself is not even a Gibson. Seymour Duncan makes the closest recreations of the old Gibson pickups. Seymour was the original boutique winder and has taken apart, rewound and rebuilt more original PAF pickups than anyone. Duncan antiquities will run you the same price as the gibsons but are, imo, a far superior product. Just my $0.02.

I am not particularly impressed with gibsons at their price point. There are better sounding, and more accurate recreations made by others.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 26, 2014,
Quote by christopher0214
I have a new Black Beauty Les Paul and I was wondering about how I should replace the stock pickups. I want a good, clean sound with good harmonics; but I also want to be able to have a nice overdrive. So basically an all around guitar. I am also wondering if I should put a Bigsby Tremolo on it. What I am thinking of doing is just putting two classic Gibson '57s for neck and bridge and a Gibson Burstbucker for the middle.

The question that hasn't been asked yet is: What do the pickups not currently do for you that warrant such an overhaul? In my limited playing of the Black Beauty (my favorite Les Paul, for the record! ), the pickups are clear enough to have a nice clean sound. Have you played around with the tone knob/your amp's EQ to know that the guitar is the problem?
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Go for the 36th anniversary, awesome cleans and all around versatility if you ask me. You can find audio samples on YouTube, well... At least last time I checked.