I've noticed a lot of threads (some of which are barely related to song requests) get locked because of our "MT's only "suggest me a song" thread". The problem is that hardly anyone uses said thread and those that do rarely get their questions answered (me included). Besides that, even less people actually answer requests rather than add their own and let the unanswered request be forgotten. Why have such a thread sticky if it's much quicker and more effective to just post a new thread? What do you guys think the problem is? I'm not trolling or trying to be mean but this has been bothering me.

Also I've recently asked if anyone has any suggestions for songs that are difficult and impressive. I can play 3 Meshuggah songs but I want a further challenge.("Entrapment", "New Millennium Cyanide Christ", and "Acid Placidity"). I can't tap (I just don't see it as a necessary skill these days and don't really care about learning to tap) and don't use a pick (I find it faster, cleaner, and more effective just to use my fingers). Although I like it and admit it's good, I don't want Dance Of Eternity" by Dream Theater (a good portion of the song is just power chords and the rest is confusing insanity) suggested either or anything classical stuff (I haven't started that style yet).

Sorry again if this sounds like a troll thread but I think this is a legitimate concern. I just think that thread is way past its prime and not helping people as much as it should. Maybe the regulars should visit it more often ...
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Dec 23, 2014,
Now first of all... knowing how to play Meshuggah songs is not really much justification for thinking that you can handle songs that are "difficult and impressive" since they are not at all "difficult and impressive" themselves, seeing as that they consist, for the most part, of repetitious chugging patterns with very little left hand movement to speak of, save for some fairly complex tapping leads (which you say you can't do anyway).

Second... it sounds like you are pretty inexperienced as a guitar player. I have a feeling that playing that sort of music with your fingers is not as "[clean or effective]" as you think it is, but your musical ears have not yet sufficiently developed to the point where you can distinguish such subtleties.

It sounds like you should really concentrate on basic picking technique, since the music that you seem to want to play pretty much always uses a pick and really does need a pick in order to execute properly, and so if anything I'm guessing the you find using your fingers "faster, cleaner, and more effective" because your picking technique is not so good.

And the secret to learning "difficult and impressive" songs... is to get to the point where you are solid on the basics, otherwise you will not be able to properly play difficult songs, and you will not impress anyone with messy playing, especially with the type of music that you want to play.

After all, there is a lot more to playing music than simply memorizing a sequence of notes. You have to be able to cleanly articulate them. This is especially important when doing covers, where it is imperative that you are able to recreate the subtle differences of the song such as proper palm muting, good vibrato, bending to the correct pitch, etc. Is you are not familiar with the basics and have not developed your ears, you will not be able to notice and execute the subtle nuances of the music and so you will not be able to recreate them and your playing will sound amateurish as a result.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Honestly, to add to what theogonia777 said, tits or get the "uck off. There's no way you're playing those meshuggah songs perfect and clear without a pick. Its not that i don't believe you think you can, its that, as stated, you're probably wrong. If you can I would be suuuper impressed and would love to see a video. Also seeing a video of you playing would make it much easier to suggest challenging songs for you. I don't mean to be a jerk, but shenanigans, big time.
To Theogonia777: In a lot of ways, you're actually right. I don't have the best ear (I really should work on that) and I can't analyze the songs I learn that well. However the reason I choose not to use a pick is because it feels natural and produces better results for me. The main finger I use is my index finger (I know that sounds weird but it works for me) because I've trained it to do tremolo and sweep picking along with chord strums and 16th notes (I'm really good at triplets as well). My ear's main talent isn't identifying key and chords but replicating rhythms (I once faked myself through a campfire-style country jam despite not knowing a single song) of music I hear.

I'm asking for difficult and impressive songs because I want to prove to myself that I can be an intermediate guitarist (I've been playing for little over 4 years) and impress people with my skills. I also enjoy a good challenge and probably know more theory than I know what to do with. I appreciate your criticisms and agree with you to an extent. However I don't think learning basics will even impress my mother (another goal of mine).

Also when will someone clean up the "MT's only "suggest me a song" thread (that place is less lively than a graveyard).
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
There's no rush, you have all the time in the world. Music is a something that enriches your life. The more you learn, the more realise that you don't know jack. The more you learn the higher the bar gets set. I still wouldn't call myself an "intermediate" guitarist, so what's the rush.
You just need to learn the basics before moving to more "impressive" sounding things. They are called the basics for a reason.

And I'm sure pick didn't feel natural to anybody before they started playing with a pick. You need to start doing it. You don't have to choose whether you play with pick or fingers. That's not how it goes. A good guitarist can do both. It's about the sound. Fingers won't sound like pick and pick won't sound like fingers.

So just because you can't do it now doesn't mean you won't be able to do it in the future. Pick starts to feel natural if you do it a lot.

And forget about "beginner", "intermediate" and "advanced". Those terms are so subjective and really tell nothing about your skills. Somebody could listen to my playing and say I'm an "advanced" guitarist but I would hardly consider myself an "intermediate" guitarist because I know how bad I am at certain things. So forget about that and just play the guitar. As GoldenGuitar said, there's no need to rush.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to play just because you want to impress other people. That's what posers do - they pick up an instrument to look cool. I'm not saying you are like this. But yeah, I would focus on playing music that you like and not music that impresses other people. Do it for yourself. Do it because you like playing the guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Just to address your issues Ronald:

Quote by RonaldPoe
I've noticed a lot of threads (some of which are barely related to song requests) get locked because of our "MT's only "suggest me a song" thread". The problem is that hardly anyone uses said thread and those that do rarely get their questions answered (me included). Besides that, even less people actually answer requests rather than add their own and let the unanswered request be forgotten.

The reason we have a sticky for "Suggest me a song" is to avoid the forum being flooded with "Suggest me a song" threads.

To be clear, a "Suggest me a song" thread is any thread that can simply be answered by naming, suggesting or linking to a song, and nothing more. In many cases they aren't particularly relevant to MT, more suited to Guitar Techniques. They have their own sticky which serves the same purpose.

The reason that the sticky isn't particularly popular is because the threads are not very interesting. Often it's the same question/s over and over again anyway, and your quest for a song can easily be answered by typing the same question into the google search bar.

Quote by RonaldPoe
Also I've recently asked if anyone has any suggestions for songs that are difficult and impressive.

This would be a good example of a question that is both not suited to MT, and lead to not much of a thread. Notice that even though you have created a dedicated thread for this question, nobody has suggested a song yet. People don't really want to engage with them.

As for the rest:

Quote by RonaldPoe
I can play 3 Meshuggah songs but I want a further challenge.("Entrapment", "New Millennium Cyanide Christ", and "Acid Placidity"). I can't tap (I just don't see it as a necessary skill these days and don't really care about learning to tap) and don't use a pick (I find it faster, cleaner, and more effective just to use my fingers). Although I like it and admit it's good, I don't want Dance Of Eternity" by Dream Theater (a good portion of the song is just power chords and the rest is confusing insanity) suggested either or anything classical stuff (I haven't started that style yet).

You asked practically the same question here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1664454

In that thread it was suggested that you need to work on the basics. You are getting the same answer here.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You guys are kinda wrong, I don't play guitar because "it's cool" but out of love. Similarly I also play bass (I like the sound of the bass guitar) because it's fun and it makes me happy. I only want to impress people as a sign of progress and it's like a badge of honor to be able to call myself intermediate and mean it. I'd like something to challenge myself and push my abilities further. I'm mostly asking this for a challenge.

While I've been told my remixes are good a lot, I know I'm nowhere near as good as guys like Skrillex (say what you want about Dubstep but that guy's great at what he does) and the Living Tombstone (quite a few bronys can remix better than me). I have high standards yet always try to push myself further and do better each time. It also gives me fresh material and improves my ear over time. Every day I try to improve my musical talents and learn new things.

If only I could identify keys and chord progressions by just listening to songs ...

You can impress people by being strong at the fundamentals though. Having a good tone and rhythm can be enough to impress people, if that is your aim.

Unfortunately if you do not get strong at the fundamentals, the more advanced stuff tends to sound messy, and nit impressive at all. It's not like a playstation game where you can just jump in on the hardest level, and platinum the guitar in one playthrough. It's more like maths, and you have to learn to add before doing quantum physics.
Soundcloud
just a thought.

Maybe stop worrying about "impressing" people and just learn to play great music. Music that truly moves people is the most impressive of all and has little to do with badass technique. If you prefer to play without a pick, discover Jeff Beck. There is a guitarist that moves people with an incredibly musical approach to his playing style. While he is capable of shredding he has little use for it. Also Robben Ford. These guys are way outside the box of jr shredder clones droning on about the latest Petrucci technical marvel. Food for thought.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Got any tips on what basics I should try to learn? I know my major and minor chords along with legato, speed picking, and quite a few scales. Also Jeff Beck is Awesome and definitely a hero to finger-pickers.

Quote by RonaldPoe
I've noticed a lot of threads (some of which are barely related to song requests) get locked because of our "MT's only "suggest me a song" thread". The problem is that hardly anyone uses said thread and those that do rarely get their questions answered (me included). Besides that, even less people actually answer requests rather than add their own and let the unanswered request be forgotten. Why have such a thread sticky if it's much quicker and more effective to just post a new thread? What do you guys think the problem is? I'm not trolling or trying to be mean but this has been bothering me.

There's a similar problem in G G&A with the settings thread- more often than not if someone posts a thread asking about settings it's closed, yet if they're sent to the "only" thread you pretty much know they're not going to get a decent answer, which seems a bit unfair (and the entire premise of the thread is kind of faulty anyway since different amps and guitars need different settings).

I dunno what the answer is. As Alan said if there isn't a sticky for it before long the forum will be clogged up with threads, so that's not a decent solution either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
There's a similar problem in G G&A with the settings thread- more often than not if someone posts a thread asking about settings it's closed, yet if they're sent to the "only" thread you pretty much know they're not going to get a decent answer, which seems a bit unfair (and the entire premise of the thread is kind of faulty anyway since different amps and guitars need different settings).

I dunno what the answer is. As Alan said if there isn't a sticky for it before long the forum will be clogged up with threads, so that's not a decent solution either.

Yeah, more activity in the forum, we wouldn't want that.
LOL

Admittedly G G&A is a bit busier than in here.

But yeah I'm always slightly sceptical when people say stuff which, in effect, amounts to, "We'd have too many new threads if we allowed that." Isn't that kind of the aim of the forum, to have as much activity as possible? (Within reason, at least- obviously you don't want spambot or competely OT threads etc.)

Especially since, if anything, forum activity seems to be going down...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 24, 2014,
The only stickies that should exist now are the chat and FAQ for general info. There's just not enough activity to warrant closing threads that are on topic and (albeit boring) valid questions just because there's a sticky.
I'd tend to agree (though obviously I'm not as much of a regular as most of you guys are).

Even in GG&A or EG, I tend to like stickies because it means I can link a threadstarter to information in a sticky (instead than having to type out a thesis), not because it means they will result in fewer threads.

Admittedly, stickies are also handy for having info for lurkers- not everyone wants to make a thread. I made liberal use of the stickies in the bass and acoustic forums when I finally got round to thinking about getting those instruments, before I made a complete fool of myself with a total noob thread
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't get the point of putting labels on anyone's musical skills. It just seems to me that you're a beginner forever we're all students to music as long as we continue doing it. There's a wealth of information out there so vast it has as much depth, as the ocean.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, more activity in the forum, we wouldn't want that.

I don't think 20 consecutive threads seeking suggestions on songs is wanted by anyone in this forum.

It's obvious that you do have an issue with the sticky though, so perhaps you have a better solution?
Soundcloud
At this point I don't think there will be enough threads to be irritating if the sticky is removed. Here are all the questions on the last page of the sticky, which is almost a whole year.

01-18-2014 1 answer the next day
01-28-2014 no answer
01-31-2014 no answer
02-06-2014 no answer
03-01-2014 1 answer 7 days later
03-29-2014 no answer
03-30-2014 no answer
05-08-2014 no answer
05-09-2014 1 answer over a month later
05-21-2014 no answer
07-04-2014 no answer
07-18-2014 actually got an answer within an hour!
08-05-2014 20T answers a question that wasn't in the thread
08-19-2014 no answer
08-21-2014 1 answer a month later, then:
10-14-2014 someone answers the previous question and then asks his own - no answer
12-07-2014 no answer
12-19-2014 RonaldPoe - no answer.

So, in the last year there have been between 0 and 3 'suggest me a song' posts per month. and almost none got any reply whatsoever, and the ones that did were almost always WAY later since nobody really bothers to look at the sticky.

I'm sure threads in this vein would largely get ignored as well and won't really lead to interesting conversations, but I think they'd at least have a chance at a few responses and really, is a couple of these a month gonna bother anyone, especially as slow as this forum's gotten?
I'm still curious which songs and basics will be impressive while still being helpful. Thanks for all the replies and merry Christmas Eve. HOHOHO!

Quote by RonaldPoe
I'm still curious which songs and basics will be impressive while still being helpful. Thanks for all the replies and merry Christmas Eve. HOHOHO!

Serious answer, especially if you don't want to learn to use a pick...

Learn to tap. Every chump and their grandma can do the little bit from the end of Eruption after playing guitar for a week or two, but people that don't play guitar are super impressed by it because they don't realize just how easy is and because it "looks cool" or whatever.

And then from there, you can be on to bigger and better things.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by RonaldPoe
...I also play bass (I like the sound of the bass guitar) because it's fun and it makes me happy. I only want to impress people as a sign of progress and it's like a badge of honor to be able to call myself intermediate and mean it. I'd like something to challenge myself and push my abilities further. I'm mostly asking this for a challenge....
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1663156
(Yes I know it's my tab), but the timing was perfect (posted today),
and it seems to tick a few of your boxes:
may impress some - show off-ish?
(imo it's just Burt dweedling)
Intermediate level,
Requires fingers,
Bass.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think either "Doctor Feelgood" (Motley Crue), " "Mr. Sandman" (Blind Guardian cover), or "God of Thunder" (KISS) would work for me on bass. What do you guys think?

Merry Christmas!