So there was a massive online sale going on this week, and I picked up a new guitar based on your guys' recommendation.

Meet Domine, or Dom for short.

EDIT: SOUND DEMOS ADDED
A run through of pickup positions/coil splits/playing examples
How a song would actually sound like with this guitar, run through a vintage type gain and then modern, and then both boosted

I absolutely love how clear the pickups are. They handle gain very nicely, but there still is a lot of note separation, you can hear every note in the chords . The song demo really shows that, it's a very clear, nice sound.

amp models used:
demo 1: fender twin, matchless DC30, marshall plexi, mesa mark IV
demo 2: vintage: matchless DC30, boss od-1 boost; modern: diezel herbert, boss od-1 boost

He's a nice mix of elegance and sinisterness. He sounds very classy at first, but then you listen longer and you start hearing the cruelty start shining through, waiting for the right opportunities to punish you. In other words, he's a perfect gentleman. Absolutely perfect.

Some interesting facts: he came out of the box set up in E flat, except the high E was tuned to a regular E. I normally play in standard, but I just kept him in E flat for now (will probably go to E soon).

He's pretty much set up perfectly out of the box. No deadspots on any frets, and the action was set pretty low but high enough that I can do two whole step bends on the GBe strings without it fretting out, so that's great. There's a little bit of buzz, but nothing that comes through the amp. The intonation is very slightly off, but I'll just change it when a string breaks and I put on a new set. I don't know how to properly check neck relief, but it doesn't feel like it has any issues there. Overall, very well set up out of the box from Musician's Friend.

The knobs and tuners on the guitar feel very solid. The push-pull tone knob doesn't seem like it's going to break any time soon. The pickup selector is a bit odd though. There's a little bit of play in each of the three positions. All of my guitars so far have had a blade style switch and never had this issue, but maybe this is how ball style switches feel? I don't notice it while playing, but it just is slightly offputting. If this is how les paul type switches feel, please tell me; otherwise, I guess it's not really a big issue, it doesn't seem like it'll break so I guess I'll just live with it.

This guitar is VERY light. Our scale is somewhat messed up, in the sense that it won't really give a super consistent weight, but it weighs somewhere between 6.5 and 7 pounds. EXTREMELY light, VERY comfortable. I could NOT be happier with this. I could stand with this and a strap and play for hours with no issues at all. My Fernandes weighs about 10-11 pounds, and my Fender strat is 9-10, so this is a feather in comparison (and I haven't played many guitars, but I'm pretty sure this would be a super light guitar by any standard). Also in the comfort department, the guitar has a tummy cut, which is very nice. No forearm contour though, but hey, I bought a tele, not a strat. The carved top feels nice and smooth, and it's a very gentle carve that feels nice and comfy. Overall, if I haven't made myself clear, this guitar is super super SUPER comfortable to play.

The neck feels slightly slimmer than the C neck my Fender has. I really like that it has a satin/unfinished feel, just like the Fernandes. It's a nice and comfortable neck. I can't really shred, but playing quickly on this neck feels nice.

The humbuckers on this sound great. They're the AS4250C for the neck and AW4370C for the bridge. I'm copying this from another website:
AS4250B = 8.3K ohms. This is a slightly hotter PAF/Vintage type neck pickup.
AW4370C = 13.4K ohm. This is a high output bridge pickup that is similar to the AW4370B (This is a high output bridge pickup with a clear midrange and smooth top.)
But with a warmer tone because of the Chrome cover.

So I got a slightly hotter PAF in the neck and a medium hot humbucker in the bridge. They sound very well together, nice and balanced. Playing these through a Plexi model gives me "that" tone, and I couldn't be happier. They just sound great. The coil split sounds fine, giving me a pretty convincing neck and bridge single coil tone. Honestly speaking though, I probably won't really use it very much as I have a Fernandes strat with the EMG David Gilmour set installed if I want a single coil sound. Still, it's nice to have, and if I'm going somewhere where I only want to bring one guitar, I would probably bring this over the Fernandes because a) it was much cheaper, b) it's a telecaster, and they are pretty much invincible, and c) the coil splitting single coils sound better as single coils than maxing the midboost on the Fernandes does to get a humbucker sound. If that confused you reading it as much as it confused me typing it, here's it simply: G&L single coil sounds better than Fernandes humbucker.

I'll try getting some recorded clips up tomorrow, he really sounds amazing. I've been playing it through Plexi and Matchless DC30 models with a light/moderate amount of gain, and it really sings. Clean, the humbuckers sound nice too, a very full tone that's different than my Fernandes. I'm really digging the tones from Dom.

I did have one issue with this though. The finish isn't *perfect*, but the blemishes are super tiny and nicely contained in one very hidden spot: the neck joint area.
First of all, there are two tiny white dots on finish. They look like specks of dirt/lint/light flashing, but they're two marks in the finish. Here's a photo:

Also, the finish covers up the binding a tiny bit on both sides of the neck joint.

Overall, very minor issues, and they're not worth it to exchange for a new guitar. Dom is basically perfect, no reason to try my luck with a different one.
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Last edited by wahalrus at Dec 25, 2014,
Nice!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks Danny! This is the second guitar I owe in part to you xD

Fumble fingers, I totally agree, they sound absolutely killer~

Ippon, the price was absolutely ridiculous. I just couldn't resist, and I have been well rewarded :3

Gear:
ZOOM G5
Quote by wahalrus
Thanks Danny! This is the second guitar I owe in part to you xD

You're quite welcome!

The other one is that Fernandes Retrorocket DG, right? How is that baby? I'm not a big fan of EMGs, but that one- along with some Steinbergers- still piques my curiosity.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Yeup! Argenta is a great guitar, the EMGs really shined in a powerful clean tone, but they couldn't really handle gainier tones too well (hmm, never thought I would say that about EMGs xD). Dom, on the other hand, really comes to life when I have a cranked Marshall or Vox running. He even sounds killer through my Bugera V5, makes it sound absolutely huge with the volume maxed on gain on 6. I can only imagine what plugging him into an actual 100 watt stack would feel like. I'm pretty sure I'll be acting like xD

Gear:
ZOOM G5
Quote by wahalrus
Yeup! Argenta is a great guitar, the EMGs really shined in a powerful clean tone, but they couldn't really handle gainier tones too well (hmm, never thought I would say that about EMGs xD).

That actually sounds about right, given who DG is and how he plays. I would not be surprised to find that those particular EMGs are more like the ones the jazz players clamored for in the dawning days of active pickups than the ones metalheads use.

Anyway, glad to have helped you...twice!

Nice they are great guitars (I bought one at the beginning of the year). Yes mine is extremely light and comfy to play.

I found the bridge pickup to be a tad too bright for me, but it does sound good. I put a Suhr Aldrich in the bridge and it became a fire breather.

Mine had a broken toggle when I bought it and the pots do seem decent quality (Alpha brand) but the toggle was really cheap. I swapped mine for a USA spec 3 way and it is much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hell yeah! Great guitar, good score. See you in the G&L thread.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Robb! I might swap out the pickups later, but right now I'm perfectly fine with how hey sound. Swapping out the switch sounds like a good idea actually, might do that soon.

Thanks Rooster! Dom is absolutely a phenomenal guitar~

I agree Dave

I added some sound demos to the OP, feel free to check them out~

Gear:
ZOOM G5
Nice demos. Educational for the unititiated.