i got a 90s red lace sensor pickup ebay. there is a noticeable difference in volume, it is quieter than the other stock single coils. this this normal? also the height is different, this is what i mean

did i do something wrong or is the pickup bad specifically with the volume issue? thanks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
height matters big time, the closer the pickup is to the strings the louder it'll be.

BUT I know for sure that certain Lace pickups have this special patent on certain pickups where string height doesn't matter as much is what I was told. This went in one ear and out the other though... so any Lace pickup experts correct me.

some tips and insight.
Resistance and inductance is everything. if you got a multimeter or know the exact pickup model google it. Rule of thumb is the largest resistance in the bridge and work your way back so like on a customer who is coming by tomorrow we're starting with a...
16k bridge , 12k middle , 9k neck .

however.. one cheap and effective tip as I despise 2 wire single coils as no human being playing in this day and age should put up with 60 cycle hum is a mod I talked about on this very forum a little while ago.

try a 0.022uf , 0,033uf or 0.047uf capacitor on your hotter middle pickups hot lead. The idea is to put the capacitor before the pickup hits the hot lead. It filters out a certain % of output. I'd start with a 0.022uf and see if it's a big enough difference. Material doesn't matter too much (cheap ceramic or mylar on ebay is great) and make sure to use electric tape or shrink wrap tubing on the capacitors metal leads on the capacitors after you solder the capacitor on. This prevents the guitar signal "dying" if it touches the internal shielding of the guitar.

need a diagram for what I mean send me a private message if I don't get back to you.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 24, 2014,
Quote by Tallwood13
height matters big time, the closer the pickup is to the strings the louder it'll be.

BUT I know for sure that certain Lace pickups have this special patent on certain pickups where string height doesn't matter as much is what I was told. This went in one ear and out the other though... so any Lace pickup experts correct me.

some tips and insight.
Resistance and inductance is everything. if you got a multimeter or know the exact pickup model google it. Rule of thumb is the largest resistance in the bridge and work your way back so like on a customer who is coming by tomorrow we're starting with a...
16k bridge , 12k middle , 9k neck .

however.. one cheap and effective tip as I despise 2 wire single coils as no human being playing in this day and age should put up with 60 cycle hum is a mod I talked about on this very forum a little while ago.

try a 0.022uf , 0,033uf or 0.047uf capacitor on your hotter middle pickups hot lead. The idea is to put the capacitor before the pickup hits the hot lead. It filters out a certain % of output. I'd start with a 0.022uf and see if it's a big enough difference. Material doesn't matter too much (cheap ceramic or mylar on ebay is great) and make sure to use electric tape or shrink wrap tubing on the capacitors metal leads on the capacitors after you solder the capacitor on. This prevents the guitar signal "dying" if it touches the internal shielding of the guitar.

need a diagram for what I mean send me a private message if I don't get back to you.

does it matter for the volume? that is what i am having the most trouble with
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
resistance is usually a good go to guide for loudness. Not definitive end all discussions way but the 50 or so pickups I've installed from various brands and models you do see a difference. Usually when you google a pickup it tells you the resistance on the website.

The stock no name pickups though it's a gamble googling it and best to get a multimeter or ask someone who has one to do a quick reading. It's in Ohms and set it to 20k. This works with any passive pickup.

one last tip though ..
double check and see if it's not a cold solder joint I totally forgot to add that and was gonna edit my post.
Quote by Tallwood13
resistance is usually a good go to guide for loudness. Not definitive end all discussions way but the 50 or so pickups I've installed from various brands and models you do see a difference. Usually when you google a pickup it tells you the resistance on the website.

The stock no name pickups though it's a gamble googling it and best to get a multimeter or ask someone who has one to do a quick reading. It's in Ohms and set it to 20k. This works with any passive pickup.

one last tip though ..
double check and see if it's not a cold solder joint I totally forgot to add that and was gonna edit my post.

which connection would it be on if it was a cold solder joint, the one on the pot or the one connected to the selector? how would i tell if it was a cold solder joint?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
on a friends guitar he had a similar issue with the middle pickup not sounding right, can't remember how he described it not sounding right as the guy was a total beginner and got a MIA fender cheap on craigslist for probably that reason.

I'd check the selector switch to see if it's a cold solder joint. Everything else is working fine right?

if the connections solid I'd try the capacitor mod though I mentioned. This works on any guitar pickup that is passive not just neck. I'd try a 0.022 first. If there's no electronics surplus stores nearby try ebay. Anyways this is the diagram. You can also do this to blade selectors and all.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/mod-squad-muddy-sounding-neck-pickup/
It's very likely a solder issue. The Lace red has a lot of output, it should not be quieter than stock single coils.

A cold solder joint looks dull. A good one is silvery. Watch some tutorials online. Make sure the joints create a solid connection for each wire, especially for twisted pairs.

That capacitor mod is pointless in this context, you need to fix the wiring you have, not compensate for a mistake by handicapping the rest of the wiring.
Quote by Roc8995
It's very likely a solder issue. The Lace red has a lot of output, it should not be quieter than stock single coils.

A cold solder joint looks dull. A good one is silvery. Watch some tutorials online. Make sure the joints create a solid connection for each wire, especially for twisted pairs.

That capacitor mod is pointless in this context, you need to fix the wiring you have, not compensate for a mistake by handicapping the rest of the wiring.

do you think that the cold solder joint would be on the pot or the selector? also why does it partially work even though i did a bad job soldering?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Could be in either place, that's why you have to look yourself. If it was just one I'd have told you that and you wouldn't have to diagnose.
Bad connections manifest in a lot of different ways, low output is one. Especially if the ground is shoddy.
does it matter where the ground is? what i just did instead of putting it on the other pickup wires i put it on the series type wired that go from pot to pot. also I went back and tryed to fix it but it still isn't working :/ . ill upload a picture tomorrow of my wiring
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz