Hey guys!

I'm looking to make my giging/practicing gear a bit simpler and lighter.

I'm currently using either a peavey 6505+ or an Engl fireball. I really like the sound of the engl, it's a bit thin sounding though.
I bought myself an Engl 530 preamp, and it sounds amazing! Has the sound of the fireball, but more balls/thickness like the peavey. It cuts through really well.

Anyway, I think it sounds massive through the power section of my peavey, but It's not fun to carry both the head and the preamp. (I need to think about my orange 2x12, pedalboard, guitar and backup guitar aswell)

So now I'm looking to buy a power amp to use with the Engl 530 so I can put it into a rack unit.

I could either buy a used tube amp (Engl, mesa, marshall etc) or a brand new power amp without tubes, like the Rocktron velocity 300.

The rocktron would be lighter, smaller, and I would have less things to worry about. Like tubes giving up in the middle of a gig.
I did however never have the chance to test the Engl through a non-tube poweramp, and I don't know if i'm going to like it as much. I don't have the oppotunity to try it out.

So what do you think? Does the power amp make that much difference? I'm playing metal, and usually don't push the power amp of my peavey 60w over 50% anyway.

Thanks for taking your time, and merry christmas!
Last edited by jespheer at Dec 24, 2014,
You really don't wanna buy a power amp designed for guitar applications - they're reeeally overpriced and they don't add much to your sound.

I'd get a carvin TS100 if you wanted tubes or a yamaha P2500S if you don't care much for them and/or you feel like you'll use the more power someday
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Spambot_2's beat me to it.

The Carvin TS100 is excellent if you must have a tube power amp, and it will run either EL34s or 6L6s on either channel (stereo 50W/50W) and it can run bridged. But you pay the price in weight to run a tube power amp; the Carvin is 25 lbs (still lighter than your Peavey, of course). Runs (currently) $500 plus shipping.

The Rocktron is overpriced, underpowered and overweight.

For example, I run a Carvin HD1500 that's $299, will put out up to 1400W RMS bridged, mono at 8 ohms or down around 200W/side into 8 ohm speakers, and it weighs just 9 lbs (half what the Rocktron weighs).
Those Peavey 50/50 or 60/60 pop up cheap every now and then.

However, the Mesa 2:90 is quite versatile with its deep, modern, and half voicings. Might be too much in terms of power and price depending on what sounds you really want. My Triaxis paired with the 2:90 cover any genre I wanted it too.
Thanks for your input, you guys gave me another dimension to look at.

I was looking at the Carvin TS100, but didn't really find anywere I can order it from. I'm in Europe btw (sweden).

Forgot to tell you that my budget is about 750$.

What about the ENGL E850/100? I could get a used one for about 700$.
Quote by jespheer

Forgot to tell you that my budget is about 750$.

What about the ENGL E850/100? I could get a used one for about 700$.

that's a decent price for the ENGL.

Here are the issues:

That's nearly 40 lbs worth of power amp all by itself. Tell me again about "I'm looking to make my giging/practicing gear a bit simpler and lighter." It's relatively fragile and a retube will run you $200 (see Eurotubes.com). You should immediately figure that into the price of the used amp and plan on how many extra tubes you're going to carry with you on gigs.

There's also the question of a backup ("Hey, you should know that we dropped the ENGL on the stairs into the gig and now it won't power up...")

Now you know why I'm running a 9 lb 1500W power amp that can be replaced for $299. For $600 (new prices) I have two, and no retubing costs, ever.
Im surprised the Engl fireball sounds thin to you. Is it the 60watt or 100watt? Ive played the 100watt and it sounded huge. But either way, I would try using the depth punch button pushed in, lower your bass to about 10-11oclock, mids to about 3oclock, treble around 10-12oclock, and gain anywhere from 10oclock-2oclock (depending on what youre going for; but i wouldnt go past 2oclock).

Not sure how much youve tweaked it, but i would tinker more. Otherwise, I dont know shit about poweramps.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thanks for all the replies!

I still havent worked this out.

However, I got the opportunity to get my hands on a used Savage for 700 euro.
Isn't the 530 preamp voiced a bit more towards the Savage? Because I really like the way the 530 sounds compared to the Fireball head.

The only downside I can see with the savage is that it got so many functions and buttons. I tend to like it simple and clean.

So what do you think?
Quote by jespheer
Thanks for all the replies!

I still havent worked this out.

However, I got the opportunity to get my hands on a used Savage for 700 euro.
Isn't the 530 preamp voiced a bit more towards the Savage? Because I really like the way the 530 sounds compared to the Fireball head.

The only downside I can see with the savage is that it got so many functions and buttons. I tend to like it simple and clean.

So what do you think?

Find a crate powerblock to use as the poweramp, they are 100watt SS amps and they are very light and portable. Then you can run the E530 into that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by diabolical
Carvin poiweramp or Peavey 50/50 tube used. Marshall or Mesa power amps used (tube) would be great options as well if you can afford them.

But TS wants a lighter more portable rig, those tube power amps are heavy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I actually bought the Engl Savage.

A small rack setup could probably have been easier to carry around, but the savage sounds awesome so it's worth it.

It has that Engl character, but it's not as fizzy as my fireball and cuts through the mix really well!