Hey guys,

I've been shopping for an 8 string for a while now and while the actual Mayones are quite above my budget, I found a handcrafted replica that looks legit. But it's still 1500$ so I want to make sure it's not some kind of scam.

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Mayones-Regius-8-Replica-/181598326207?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a481a8dbf

What would you say? Looks legit? Would you take the risk?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Nah, I don't think I would.

How could it "look legit?"
Whatever you pay the big bucks for in a Mayones (including the name recognition) could be all over the place in a "replica." And $1500 is a sizeable chunk to take that risk with. China is making "replicas" of Gibsons that cost six grand and selling them for $325. They're calling them "handcrafted" as well (every guitar has handwork in it).

If you must have a Mayones, buy a Mayones when you CAN afford it.

If you're looking for a good 8-string for inexpensive money, buy an Agile and have it shipped to wherever you are.
Quote by dspellman
Nah, I don't think I would.

How could it "look legit?"
Whatever you pay the big bucks for in a Mayones (including the name recognition) could be all over the place in a "replica." And $1500 is a sizeable chunk to take that risk with. China is making "replicas" of Gibsons that cost six grand and selling them for $325. They're calling them "handcrafted" as well (every guitar has handwork in it).

If you must have a Mayones, buy a Mayones when you CAN afford it.

If you're looking for a good 8-string for inexpensive money, buy an Agile and have it shipped to wherever you are.

All solid wisdom and definitely sentiments I would echo. It looks about as "legit" as anything else that has no known name associated with it... which is to say not at all. Done a quick look about and I can't find any concrete information about the luthier at all apart from one thread on sevenstring.org with 4 pictures and only one post by the owner of the guitar in question.

Also, generally distrustful of anyone who's deliberately making replicas of someone else's guitars down to the headstock logo. I can only think of one reason anyone would do that; to make money off the recognition of someone else, and that is not a good reason.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Canada? Carvin would be a better choice, if possible.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Thanks for the answers. I'll heed your advice and stay away from this one. I love Agile guitars but they discontinued the model I wanted just before I decided to buy it haha. And even though I know Carvin makes amazing 8 strings, I don't really like them. I really fell in love with the Ibanez SIX28FDBG but they don't sell it where I live atm (Switzerland) and buying it from the US would cost me about 750$ in shipping and import fees so I guess it's a no go. :/
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by sbesozzi
Thanks for the answers. I'll heed your advice and stay away from this one. I love Agile guitars but they discontinued the model I wanted just before I decided to buy it haha. /

Not necessarily. Kurt gets these things in container-loads, and he'll have a model for a while, then not have it for a while, and then have it for a while. Because of the way he does business, you simply have to be ready to nab what's there when it's there. They go up on the website (and onto eBay) pretty much as they come out of the containers. "B-stocks" (usually guitars returned for one reason or another; he has a liberal return policy) will sometimes be snatched up literally in seconds after they hit the website.

Also worth noting is that Kurt will often open the "custom shop." For a few years, it was a two-week period once every six months. You wait about four months to get your guitar (it seems to be a quarterly delivery pace). At the time, I guessed that it was probably the prototyping shop of the factory that built the guitars, and they just wanted something to keep them busy. I picked up a spectacular neck-through LP style guitar that way. More recently, the custom shop has been open on a very regular basis, but just recently he shut it down completely until sometime in 2015 ( I'm thinking they had too MUCH work; it got extremely popular).

At the moment, I'm planning to pick up one more semi-custom (it's not totally custom because you're limited to specific models and a specific laundry list of options) next time he opens things up.
Yeah I was considering the semi-custom shop for a while but I kind of changed my mind for a couple reasons. To design a model similar to the one I originally wanted to buy, it would've cost me about 1200$ while the "stock" one was 600. And Kurt told me that even if they do open the custom shop, this year's probably won't include the Intrepid. I'm guessing the Interceptors are way more popular, hence not including the Intrepids. And lately there has been a ****load of new Interceptors and little to no Intrepids. The one I was after was a neck through bloodburst Intrepid with passive pick ups. It's about the only model that was removed. The other Intrepids are either bolt-on, have active pick ups or shitty finishes.

I'm still waiting to see if they'll release a couple of new models for 2015 but I doubt we'll see new Intrepids.
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
Replica or not- that thing looks gorgeous. I probably wouldnt pay 1500 for it (as mentioned above, the maker probably should have left the headstock blank or something). I would atleast have to hold it, play it, and know exactly what the hardware and electronics and everything are for sure. It looks beautiful in its pictures to me though; I love it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

“Mayones Regius 8 Replica made by ukrainian luthier Dmitriy Starchenko.”

Maybe Dmitriy Starchenko is on par with Japanese luthiers, maybe he isn’t. Maybe he made this guitar, maybe he didn’t. Maybe he can even make you a custom guitar that fits your budget. But don’t buy a knockoff on eBay without doing serious digging first—much deeper than just asking on forums. Also consider what else you can get for $1500. That would buy a nice MIJ Ibanez.