does anyone use a combination of these effects, like delay + reverb or chorus + delay or chorus + reverb?

what kind of tones can you get using delay + chorus? i think the other two combinations are more subtle and just makes the effects more ambient.

or is it better to user these effects alone?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Dec 24, 2014,
1) Yes.

2) Lots of nifty echoey effects.

3) great for post-rock, indie, shoegaze, etc., not so much for thrash metal or punk.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I used to use the tc electronic Trinity for death metal..... Granted I gated the **** out of it. Delay is OK for solos. Modulation works perfectly fine in metal. It's more of a don't over do it thing them anything else really.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Delay+chorus is essentially the ingredient in an ehx memory boy/man, so that's good on solos. Reverb+chorus works well for clean sections, as do either one by itself. I feel like reverb+delay is a little less common, since delays inherently give their own sort of reverberation anyway (might be a bit overkill).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Delay+chorus is essentially the ingredient in an ehx memory boy/man, so that's good on solos. Reverb+chorus works well for clean sections, as do either one by itself. I feel like reverb+delay is a little less common, since delays inherently give their own sort of reverberation anyway (might be a bit overkill).

i think delay + reverb is used a lot in lead tones in the 80's like hair metal?

isn't cliffs of dover delay + reverb as well?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Dec 25, 2014,
The more the merrier, I say. My typical clean tone is a cathedral-sized reverb with a subtle delay and a touch of slowly-modulated chorus. My only "effect" pedals I use for that are a Tc electronic hall of fame reverb and flashback delay. Both pedals have settings that add a subtle chorus that just adds a little more warmth and shimmer. I typically use only the delay when playing with high gain though, and then only for leads. Otherwise things start getting muddy/interfere with clarity between notes.
Delay and Reverb are two glorious effects.

I use a delay-heavy tone for leads, a reverb-heavy tone for rhythm, an echoplox-like tone for jazz, and a delay/reverb saturated tone for pad emulation.

Essential to any modern guitarist.
I don't use chorus personally, but I'm pretty certain delay + reverb is a relatively common combination for more spacey, ambient playing (I'm pretty sure it's pretty much the core of e.g. Steven Wilson's playing for this kind of sounds). It's also a _wonderful_ combo, a reverb opens up the sound of a delay a lot and gives much more of an "open space" feeling.