So, this is again regarding my customer who's looking to install a trem bridge in his currently-hardtail Carvin 7 string. We haven't decided on a bridge yet, but when we do, will it be absolutely essential to replace his bridge pickup with a trembucker? I know that it's supposed to sound better because of the string spacing and whatnot, but just how essential is it? Would a regular spaced humbucker still sound passable, or is it like obviously terrible?
Try it and then make the call, the idea is that trem buckers are designed to have more bass etc to compensate for the floating trem. Not sure the string spacing matters much, I fitted a dimarzio to a guitar with a floyd and the string spacing are wrong, sounded fine, just didn't like the aesthetics.
Yeah, I've never experimented with it, but it's been my understanding that trembuckers put the pole pieces just slightly farther apart, to compensate for the slightly wider string spacing of a trem bridge. The tone difference must be noticeable, at least, or else trembuckers would be pointless. I'm just wondering if it's like a slight difference that wouldn't be a big deal, or if it's a night-and-day kind of thing.
I wouldn't call it significant.

Whether or not the tone of the pickups is the same and it's only the string spacing that's different may vary depending on what pickup it is.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by the_bi99man
I'm just wondering if it's like a slight difference that wouldn't be a big deal, or if it's a night-and-day kind of thing.

From my experience it is pretty slight if noticeable at all, I put a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop hand wound SH-4 JB on my Dean Split Tail with an OFR and it really screams, a noticeable improvement in tone over the mass production TB-4 JB, that came stock in my Jackson RR3, that is trem spaced.

I usually go for the trem spaced pups when I'm buying new but I got a killer deal on the hand wound custom shop ($20) from someone who didn't know what they had.

Anyhow does it have those crazy Carvin pickups with the double pole pieces? If so I'm sure it would probably not matter at all.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I've had a lot of big name people say it isn't, this subject comes up a lot on forums. I think it's placebo honestly.

Here's why.. to be fair no two pickups sound 100% identical is what Seymour Duncan even admits from his 40+ years in the business. Because of this hell not even two regular pickups will sound 100% the same. Even if we measured down to the milimeter how far they are from the strings and getting the right pole piece height when needed.

technically speaking matching 10,000+ windings to absolute perfection as pickups aren't wound all one specific way is going to be really hard even with machines winding stuff automatically that you pick how many windings and all.

just some personal opinions and so forth
Consider them optimal for this type of setup but not a necessity. If you were buying one of the other buy whichever one suits your setup. In your situation, I don't see any reason to change the existing pickup unless he isn't happy with it for other reasons. Carvins are great but hardly anyone has ever been a fan of the stock electronics in them.
Quote by the_bi99man
So, this is again regarding my customer who's looking to install a trem bridge in his currently-hardtail Carvin 7 string. We haven't decided on a bridge yet, but when we do, will it be absolutely essential to replace his bridge pickup with a trembucker? I know that it's supposed to sound better because of the string spacing and whatnot, but just how essential is it? Would a regular spaced humbucker still sound passable, or is it like obviously terrible?

It would sound fine, just not quite as good. The real question is this; why wouldn't you get a trembucker?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
It would sound fine, just not quite as good. The real question is this; why wouldn't you get a trembucker?

Only because the guitar already exists. He's had it for years, and it's a hardtail. He just wants to install a trem in it. I would assume that, considering he's happy with the current pickups, he wouldn't want to buy another one unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like it's probably not a big deal.