you know the typical thrash palm muted open e chugging ala metallica . Is the bassiness from those palm muted low e riffs result of scooped mids?

I want to get the palm muted notes from Ride the lightning like for whom the bell tolls. don like the tone from Justice for all and i know that's scooped mids. but i dont think the RTL tones are mid heavy though right?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Dec 24, 2014,
No, it's from a good mix of the 6-string guitar and the bass guitar. Scooping the mids will just mud-up your tone, and you'll start to blend in the sonic space that the bass guitar takes up.
Typical palm muted chugging doesn't come from metallica at all if you ask me.

What you want, you achieve with a guitar, a bass and possibly the drums, all working together like a great happy family.
Also more mids will work better than less mids for that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by musicandthewave
you know the typical thrash palm muted open e chugging ala metallica . Is the bassiness from those palm muted low e riffs result of scooped mids?

I want to get the palm muted notes from Ride the lightning like for whom the bell tolls. don like the tone from Justice for all and i know that's scooped mids. but i dont think the RTL tones are mid heavy though right?

the actual guitar tones aren't very bassy at all on RTL. bass doubles many of the guitar parts on FWTBT so that may be what you hear. sounds like you need more practice.
Don't scoop your mids to achieve fat guitar tone. That's the definition of counterproductive. The guitar is a midrange instrument. Its tone lives in the midrange. You get that fat chugging metal sound by having the guitar and bass and drums mixed well together, regardless of your guitar's specific tone. If anything, I'd say try rolling back the bass a little, to give the bass guitar more room in the mix. That'll actually make the full band's tone sound fuller.
I run settings of 7 bass 6 mids, 8 trebble by myself and with a band I cut the bass to like three and its perfectly fine
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
It really varies depending on which guitar / amp / cab setup you have that will determine how much mids you need to add/cut. Ive found that when you are recording, you dont need as many mids because the guitars are usually panned into their own space and doubletracked. Live playing, you pretty much instantly get drowned out if you dump too many mids (but again- you dont necessarily need your mids on 10/10). To answer your question though (and in agreement with some earlier replies), almost all of the sweet heavy chugging sound comes from all of the instrumemts working together. I love playing guitar and chasing guitar tone; but ive found that at the end of the day, guitar is kind of pathetic on its own.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

To play the devil's advocate, consider that too much (many?) mids can sound like shit too. Too many bands have gone the opposite direction (djent guys, I'm talking about you) and it really sounds awful in my opinion. You won't get a traditional thrash sound that way, anyhow. As long as you have enough mids to have a place in the mix, I say you're fine -- and that usually doesn't take a dimed mids knob.

FWIW -- I typically use a 10-band EQ and boost the lower and upper mids, but cut the middle mids a bit to cancel that honkey djent sound. The lower mid boost brings out the chug and the upper mids bring on some grind. Perfect settings for thrash, death, and black metal if you ask me.