View poll results: so?
naw dawg its fine we just have to get used to it
15 58%
yeah we should really get to changing that shit
11 42%
Voters: 26.
Page 1 of 2
Because shit like this is ridiculous:

(Editor's Note: We have followed the Advocate's lead, and referred to John Jolie-Pitt as "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun to respect John's decision, whatever gender they may end up being.)

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/12/79896/shiloh-john-jolie-pitt-name-change?utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_facebook

It feels like we're talking about an alien hivemind disguised as a child. Might as well call they 'it'. Either way it seems incredibly demeaning.

I realize singular they is a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

But is there any better ways to go about this? Do any of you not have a problem with calling someone 'they' or 'it'?
get used to it? it's been around for ages.

damn latin puritans always messing shit up
i don't know why i feel so dry
doesn't really seem like that big of an issue to me

i wouldn't call someone it though

unless they were into that sort of thing
Last edited by So-Cal at Dec 25, 2014,
There are other gender neutral pronouns, "they" is likely just preferred the most right now since the average person doesn't know what "xe/xem/xyr" is yet.

"average person" is probably a poor choice of words but you get what i mean
Last edited by GuitarGod_92 at Dec 25, 2014,
I think it would help it become more widespread if we could actually pronounce it on sight

But hey, there are far dumber words in the English language. Like 'nth'.
Oh and for the record there exist extremely few people who actually like "it" being used as their pronoun, it's considered highly offensive by most. Never ever use it to refer to someone unless they specifically ask you to.
Xe/xem/xyr make 'em seem like extraterrestrials.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
'xe' and 'xyr' definitely sound like lasers shooting

xxeeeeeeeeeeeee

xxxxyyyyyyyyyyyrrrr
Quote by Masquirina
naw

I am legitimately interested in what kind of person you'd have to be to act like you do
you know what really gets me?

the genitive case of they is their. but their + noun may be contracted to theirs. it seems like a compulsory contraction of their it but i have no evidence for that.

for example, "their bud is dank af yo"
but if bud is already the subject at hand, "theirs is dank af yo"

who came up with this garbage
xe/xem/xyr feels like some dickhead made up words to get more points at scrabble.
Quote by Masquirina
Hmm I don't know. I'm a straight female but I have lost all attraction to males due to stress conditioning, and I think some aspect of that has made me slightly more goofy and weirder than usual.

But anyway 'they' sounds good.

Hmm. So posting on UG is stress relief for you? Awesome
You can't really engineer a language, especially a behemoth such as English, so you'd better just deal with it.

I use "they" for "he or she", but only when referering to a person whose gender is unknown; on UG, "he" would suffice though, since you don't really find many shes among us - I think you'd find more people preferring "xyr" here than "she".

Japanese used to have a gender neutral pronoun, but with the introduction of Western literature a few hundred years ago, they started distinguishing between "he" and "she"...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Dec 25, 2014,
'stickyourdickinablender'
might be too complicated for a singular but i dont care
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by sfaune92
You can't really engineer a language, especially a behemoth such as English

historically untrue

l8r
Quote by Eastwinn
historically untrue

l8r

Yes, it might have happened, but suppressing governments are far better at it than feminists on tumblr, and most forced changes have concerned the written langauge...
If someone asks me to refer to them by a gender neutral pronoun I will

It's just awkward when they haven't told you yet

And then get offended when you use a normal pronoun even when it might be the wrong one

They don't have a right to get upset unless they tell you and then you ignore them
Quote by sfaune92
Yes, it might have happened, but suppressing governments are far better at it than feminists on tumblr, and most forced changes have concerned the written langauge...

i can think of multiple sudden changes to english that were intentional and had nothing to do with the government.

in speech but not writing, in writing but not speech, and both speech and writing.

gender neutral pronouns were not the invention of tumblr or even feminists. gender neutral pronouns have existed in english before. i can think of a gender neutral pronoun proposed before 1900.

i have left this post open ended because clearly you're unable to google. this should be good practice. merry christmas.
That kid is 8, I find it hard to believe they seriously absolutely certainly want to be a boy. But with a stupid name like Shiloh I'm not surprised they want a different one.

OT: I have no problem with calling people "they" or "it". There's not really any other words you can use and inventing a new one sounds like a silly idea.
I have nothing important to say
Well then make it up and stop going to they schools.

I am personally offended by they/them. It implies separation
Quote by Eastwinn
i can think of multiple sudden changes to english that were intentional and had nothing to do with the government.

in speech but not writing, in writing but not speech, and both speech and writing.

gender neutral pronouns were not the invention of tumblr or even feminists. gender neutral pronouns have existed in english before. i can think of a gender neutral pronoun proposed before 1900.

i have left this post open ended because clearly you're unable to google. this should be good practice. merry christmas.

however i cant see how a bunch of feminazis can succeed in changing literature and language if actual writers & linguist couldnt do it in past. Yes times have changed but it also changed into a medium that people are more utilitarian. I cant see how change in language with no actual benefit to majority would happen.
Quote by Eastwinn

Examples would have been nice.

I didn't say that only the tumblr folks wanted it, but rather that they aren't particualrly influential - except from when it comes to encouraging censorship and so forth.

And considering that none of those proposed pronouns are in common use, my point still stands.

(Note that I'm not against the idea, because having one removes the ambigouity of "they", though according to wiktionary, "he" is also supposedly gender neutral. And in languages with grammatical gender (at lesat in German and some Norwegian dialects), these pronouns are often used to refer to the words' genus, which simplifies the issue in some cases)

Merry Christmas
Last edited by sfaune92 at Dec 25, 2014,
Yeah, we need this. It's not even the SJW part of me that cares about this, but the grammar nerd. I'm sick of typing and saying "his or her" and "he or she" because I have an impulse speak in a way that's mostly grammatically correct.
nah m8 they has been used as a singular thing for a while

srsly other than occasionally saying "hey man" as a sort of instinctual phrase it really doesn't take effort to avoid gendered language
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa

Personally, I prefer "e" although I don't know if that's supposed to be pronounced hard or soft
That's actually a bad chart because "he" and "she" aren't intrinsically bound to masculinity and femininity respectively. This is actually demonstrable in reference to cis people. A cis lesbian that presents themself as butch as opposed to feminine can still go by she/her pronouns, it's not barred from their use.

Technically all pronouns can be gender neutral, but there is a culturally implied value that everyone that looks what society has deemed a man is a "he" and anyone that looks what's considered to be female is a "she." And that's the problem and why true gender neutral pronouns need be used.
Gender neutral pronouns wouldn't bother me at all. But, an overabundance of them such as in that image above and the attitude of the right-most person ("someone should ask about my pronouns") would probably bother me. We should definitely give everyone a home in the language, but obviously not ad nauseam.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Gender neutral pronouns wouldn't bother me at all. But, an overabundance of them such as in that image above and the attitude of the right-most person ("someone should ask about my pronouns") would probably bother me. We should definitely give everyone a home in the language, but obviously not ad nauseam.

This.

Pronouns are useful for their simplicity and brevity. If everyone chooses their own set of pronouns, pronouns are pointless.

It would be nice if we just had one universal genderless set of pronouns.
Quote by TheChaz
It would be nice if we just had one universal genderless set of pronouns.

thats pretty much what they/them/their is but everyone gets pissy that "it doesnt sound grammatically correct"

but then you propose the other gender neutral pronouns and "those sound too made up"
In Spanish, the pronouns are genderless. It matches the direct object instead of the subject. We could adapt something like that. This is one instance of many in which I grammatically prefer Spanish over English.
this is so ****ing stupid. i use he/she/them/they. that's it. xe and zim or whatever the **** don't even sound like words who comes up with this shit?
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
this is so ****ing stupid. i use he/she/them/they. that's it. xe and zim or whatever the **** don't even sound like words who comes up with this shit?

he, she, and they sound like made up words

oh because all words are made up wow i never realized the simplest concept before
Quote by GuitarGod_92
thats pretty much what they/them/their is but everyone gets pissy that "it doesnt sound grammatically correct"

but then you propose the other gender neutral pronouns and "those sound too made up"

Singular they does sound bad though.

xe/xem/xyr is awful because holy shit obviously. Just look at those words.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
lturally implied value that everyone that looks what society has deemed a man is a "he" and anyone that looks what's considered to be female is a "she." And that's the problem and why true gender neutral pronouns need be used.

How can you have "true" gender pronouns if gender is a social construct?
i said all pronouns are technically gender neutral but explained why they arent used in such a way

"true" is just qualifying gender neutral pronouns that are used in such a way
Oh, I think I understand. All gender pronouns are neutral in that you can use "he" to refer to a girl, and "she" to refer to a guy, or vice versa?
Page 1 of 2