Stupid thing screws the sound up so much when playing. I did some googling and i cant find much about it

Is there a way to fix a loose string peg?
Tighten the barrel nut that holds the tuning peg to the headstock.

Also tighten the screws on the back.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Tighten the barrel nut that holds the tuning peg to the headstock.

Also tighten the screws on the back.

I should have explained it better. The nob goes into the piece that is attached on the stock

Im almost certain id have to buy a new peg completely
Take a picture of the tuning machine and post it so we can see what kind of tuner you have.
Is the screw on the end of the peg tightened down all the way?

What you could do is just take a piece of white scrap plastic and fabricate a new spacer for free. It's only a plastic washer.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Is the screw on the end of the peg tightened down all the way?

What you could do is just take a piece of white scrap plastic and fabricate a new spacer for free. It's only a plastic washer.

Can you just buy another peg possibly from ibanez?
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Can you just buy another peg possibly from ibanez?

http://shop.ibanez.com/c/parts-accessories_electric-guitar-parts_machine-heads

Terribly overpriced though.

Have a look on ebay. Or just fix the problem yourself by making a plastic spacer for free. No harm in trying.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 25, 2014,
You simply need to tighten the screw (Philips head) on the end of the tuning key/knob you turn to tune the guitar. Just tighten it till it doesn't wiggle anymore. Don't over tighten it or you could crack that white washer, or strip the threads, plus it will make it tougher to turn the tighter it is. You shouldn't need to replace anything as long as the threads aren't already striped. A simple snug of that screw should have you good to go.
If tightening a bolt and a screw is this confusing to you, then you should probably just take it to a local guitar shop and have them deal with it.
Quote by JustRooster
If tightening a bolt and a screw is this confusing to you, then you should probably just take it to a local guitar shop and have them deal with it.

And i dont think you understand my dang question

Its not the part that screws onto the guitar thats fine. Its the peg rattling against the washer

Its screwed onto the guitar fine
Quote by ibanezn00b5
And i dont think you understand my dang question

Its not the part that screws onto the guitar thats fine. Its the peg rattling against the washer

Its screwed onto the guitar fine

Sounds to me like you just need to replace the tuning machine. But you don't need some "official" replacement from Ibanez that'll be overpriced and require an online order. Tuning machines, especially on cheap guitars like that, are generic. You should be able to get a replacement at any local guitar shop for less than 10 bucks. Could probably even have them install it for you, and keep it under $10.
Quote by the_bi99man
Sounds to me like you just need to replace the tuning machine. But you don't need some "official" replacement from Ibanez that'll be overpriced and require an online order. Tuning machines, especially on cheap guitars like that, are generic. You should be able to get a replacement at any local guitar shop for less than 10 bucks. Could probably even have them install it for you, and keep it under $10.

Thats helpful, appreciate it. But i think with my xmas money im forking to a paul allender se. Ill give this one to my friend and let him deal with it. Thanks!
What these gentlemen are trying to describe to you:

If your tuning key/button is loose, and it is a screw-on type, you can just tighten the screw. They are cautioning you not to overtighten it and strip out the threads or crack the spacer. As long as you don't try and use a power drill to tighten it, you should be fine. Snug it up by hand, don't go nuts and TRY to squash it flat. The spacer is just there to provide a relatively lubricated surface to turn against so you're not grinding metal on metal when you turn.

If your problem is the actual string post rattling (I assume no, since that's not what you photographed) then you'll need a wrench to tighten the hex nut on the other side.

If you're dead set on spending money on a new guitar, great. Enjoy. But the way I'm reading this thread, likely you don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new guitar when a couple turns of a screwdriver could fix it. Buy a new guitar because you want a new guitar, not as an excuse for something like this. Anyway, even if it's something more fundamentally serious than this with the tuner, it really doesn't take more than a few seconds to try it and see if it helps, if not then you really haven't lost or invested anything additional and if so, you could save yourself needless expense.
@Hydra. Ty for that pic

I had no freakin cluclue those screws existed. All fixed!

I know i dont have to shell $$ out. But ive worked so much overtime at my job lately bying a used guitar is in my budget nicely. Plus i want to upgrade from my gio
Last edited by ibanezn00b5 at Dec 25, 2014,
I'm glad you got it fixed. I figured that was the problem, and I tried to explain it the best I could to you to get it fixed. So, no money wasted and all is good. Thanks for posting the pic Hydra.

Merry Christmas.
No problem guys. Glad I could help. I had a little time and I guess it was my turn to be patient today, haha. ibanezn00b5, I would suggest if you are still going to buy another guitar, that you maybe look at something that's different as far as pickups or bridge, or whatnot (not just something cosmetic like body shape). That way you have some variety in your instruments if you want to play around and experiment with sounds down the road. But ultimately, get whatever you're happy with. You're the one that has to live with it every day and even guitars that I don't think are all that great today, I can look back on as having learned something from.
Quote by Hydra26
No problem guys. Glad I could help. I had a little time and I guess it was my turn to be patient today, haha. ibanezn00b5, I would suggest if you are still going to buy another guitar, that you maybe look at something that's different as far as pickups or bridge, or whatnot (not just something cosmetic like body shape). That way you have some variety in your instruments if you want to play around and experiment with sounds down the road. But ultimately, get whatever you're happy with. You're the one that has to live with it every day and even guitars that I don't think are all that great today, I can look back on as having learned something from.

Those EMG 81 TW are active pickups arnt they? Id def change the pick ups out of those, as i played a Schecter with EMGs. I cant pick for crap with them

I would have to look around for a pickup style that lays flat with the guitar body
Sounds like your problem might be the carved top, not the type of pickup. It took me a bit to get used to playing on my first les paul after years of playing slab bodied guitars.

Anyway, just try a bunch of stuff out at the store and get an idea of what sort of things you like. There is no "magic bullet" to fix your guitar problems or preferences. There is no universally perfect guitar. So try stuff out and pay attention to what you specifically like and don't like about each one. I think, given the conversation, that you're closer to the beginning of your journey than the end and I don't want to suggest anything specific that might steer you away from something you end up liking a lot so I'm going to refrain from further recommendations. It's a fun journey, enjoy the ride and learn a bit about the nuts and bolts of your instrument if you want to save yourself a little money along the way and be able to make your own instruments easier to play.