Hey all,
Just got a brand new Akai Mpk 25 midi controller for christmas and I can't get it to work.
I have a newish system,
Windows 8.1
Intel i5
16 gb ram
evga gtx 660

When I plug the controller in to either USB 2.0 or 3.0 nothing happens. No lights turn on and the pc gives a warming message that the device is not recognized?
Any fix?
The CD just has Ableton Live setup, and the website doesnt contain drivers because it states that "Its a generic usb controller, drivers arent needed"
Any idea on a fix?

Kinda just plugging it in and nothing happens. Pretty awesome considering someone spent money on this for me to use.
Last edited by tonyd927 at Dec 25, 2014,
Run down what you've tried to start eliminating easy fixes.

Have you tried with another PC? Have you checked your computer drivers are up to date? I'm assuming your usbs slots are working fine with other usb devices?

If there's absolutely no life to it on plugin is there any chance of RMAing it?
Did you try it in a DAW?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Did you try it in a DAW?

It wont even power up, nor will the computer even recognize it.

Quote by SG_dave
Run down what you've tried to start eliminating easy fixes.

Have you tried with another PC? Have you checked your computer drivers are up to date? I'm assuming your usbs slots are working fine with other usb devices?

If there's absolutely no life to it on plugin is there any chance of RMAing it?

My relative bought it on Amazon about 2 months ago. Hopefully they can return it.
Last Akai product I'll ever have.
Last edited by tonyd927 at Dec 25, 2014,
Try running Windows Update. Use a different USB cable and make sure its on a port that's attached directly to the motherboard of the computer (on the back of a desktop). If that doesn't work, delete the USB drivers in device manager and reinstall. If all else fails, try it on an older computer, it's possible Windows 8.1 doesn't like it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Akai doesn't list Windows 8 on its "Requirements" tab. Some of the time this is negligible and devices will work because Microsoft used similar architecture for the needed feature, but this may be one of those odd times where it simply won't work with 8.

Upon reading the manual online there may be a complication if you're using the usb for power (I know some of my USBs don't give power for whatever reason, but they'll identify devices as USB and fail to recognize them). Are you using the USB for power, and if yes, have you tried with an external adapter (if it came with one)?
Hmmm. I have an MPK49 and even if I don't have it selected as a midi input device it still lights up when I plug it in. It will even run on the battery from my laptop. Win 7 and I never installed any drivers for it. It just worked.
UPDATE: Gave it back to my family member for them to return.

Gonna look into Novation Launchkey Mini.
Apparently the Akai was DOA? Got zero help from customer service so not buying from them again
Akai has always been solid, but so is Novation. Sorry it didn't work out and good luck with the next purchase.

Just look out for Win 8 compatibility first
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Got a Novation myself for Christmas, Mininova though. Hopefully the launchkey works out better for you.
Quote by Cianyx

Just look out for Win 8 compatibility first

In terms of Win 8 compatibility, I am still using a Line 6 Toneport GX that I bought in 2008 lol
You'd think a piece of hardware made within the last year would work with Win 8