I am always surprised with how few people know of this mod. They also think EMG just make the 81 85 and 60. So anyways today I'm posting about this mod that you've got to have a pretty large electronics compartment for so today the les paul players on here who are reading this.. or perhaps Ibanez RG and fender guys are lucky.

This I suggest for the regular EMG pickups such as the..
H / HA (not the passive HZ series)
58 - yes the 58 exists, it's different than the 57
S / SA single coils (perhaps)
the X and TWX series this is not recommended for.

this is not suggested for Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups. They are louder than EMG pickups is what many will argue. But loudness and output don't mean the best pickup ever it's how we use it.

What does the 18 volt mod do
if you hate the sounds of regular emg pickups and find them sterile and boring this helps add more clarity/less compression , more volume/output. Like the mod suggests you need two 9v batteries in your guitar at any time. This is such a popular mod you see it a lot on other forums and of course it even made its way on the wikipedia page and on countless youtube videos comparing them. I usually discourage guys from checking out pickup comparisons on youtube because kids had the balls to use different guitars and so forth. But how hard could it be to mess it up with just adding a battery.

How do you do this? 2 ways
#1 if soldering irons terrify you - there is a clip on variant on ebay. You clip it to your existing battery clip and then you have two extra

#2 the do it yourself method. This works with any harness (wiring schematic). Focus on the red wires only. This says livewires but blackout diagrams work for EMG pickups. Rob Turner hired like the worst graphic designer/artists to make his harnesses back when things were soldered.

where do you get battery clips
ebay - the hard plastic ones I recommend
the source or electronic surplus stores
don't buy the cheapest ones on ebay they are not built to last.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 25, 2014,
or just buy this adapter and it is plug and play and you can return it to stock by un plugging it
www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-18Volt-Harness-Kit-for-EMG-81-85-89-60-Active-Pickups-ling-/170922646747?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27cbc89cdb
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oddly enough I make those from scratch the ebay ones were my inspiration. They are extremely overpriced. Fantastic for those who fear solder though.

considering they cost roughly $1.50 (US Dollar) for the battery clips. the hard plastic ones.
a bit of shrink wrap tubing, it's so cheap it's not worth mentioning the cost of as well as two or three drops of solder. The price kind of justifies if people solder like once a year.

I'm thinking about making an external variant of it. Got a simple schematic drawn out. The idea was to show people if it's worth it to modify their guitars with emg pickups to 18 volt mod. I'd be a sucker to turn down money but you know.. one of those bored out of the box concepts.
Oh of course, but that link was the first I saw and it is for 5 of them actually.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Jackson DKMGT that came factory with EMGHZ and Afterburner setup, I purchased it used and it had been upgraded with a pair of 81's and the 18 volt mod with the Afterburner still equipped.

With good modern high gain tone on my Mesa Roadster I can kick in the AB at about 1/2 volume and it will melt your face , anything over 1/2 becomes rather hard to contain and prone to feedback!

Leaving the AB out of the equation I will say that the 18v mod is noticeably better than my guitars with 81/85 @ 9v I'm going to mod them all including my 7 string Schecter!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 12, 2015,
Just hack-modded my C-1 Hellraiser to 18v with masking tape and a couple wires and was impressed with the headroom. More clarity, more ability to dig in for greater output attack. Still sterile, still cold, just ballsier and more responsive to your pick.
Quote by mosquitohater93
Just hack-modded my C-1 Hellraiser to 18v with masking tape and a couple wires and was impressed with the headroom. More clarity, more ability to dig in for greater output attack. Still sterile, still cold, just ballsier and more responsive to your pick.

Don't use masking tape, it does not properly insulate and could cause a possible short. At least use Vinyl electrical tape, it is made to properly insulate
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate