Hi all. I bought a new guitar, which came with strings of course. I broke the small e string already. I bought replacement strings (Ernie Ball Slinky's) is it important to replace all of them? Or is it fine to just replace the broken string?

Thanks in advance, Will
Wants: PRS Starla
I think most people replace the whole lot at once; only replacing one can give you tonal and volume imbalances.

Up to you though, nothing saying you have to replace all of them at once.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
They don't use good strings from the factory just replace them all with the Erie ball
It would sort of depend on how far into the overall life of the string set you are. If you broke it within the first few hours by carelessness or accident, then replace just the one.

Later on though, it's best to replace the whole lot. Electric strings really aren't that expensive.

Before you change them though, give some thought if the ones that came with the guitar are the right ones for you. Lots of electric guitars come with, "electric light sets", (.009 to .042). Personally I can't stand them, and opt for electric regulars, (.010 to .046).

All of us are different though, and I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. Jus' sayin', "your needs and results may vary from mine, and the guitar makers suggestions".

It helps to note where the string broke. If it was at the tuner, sometimes there are sharp edges on the hole which cut the string off. Rub your finger across the both ends of the hole, see if you feel any burrs.
Replace them all. You don't know how many people have played those strings or how long they've been on. I'd replace the strings on any guitar I buy right away, unless I knew it was brand spanking new from the factory just taken out of the box.
Thanks for the help. The strings were actually pretty much brand new. I messed up tuning it. I did buy the one's you suggested, and will just replace them all. I may as well, only takes a couple more minutes.

Quote by Captaincranky
It would sort of depend on how far into the overall life of the string set you are. If you broke it within the first few hours by carelessness or accident, then replace just the one.

Later on though, it's best to replace the whole lot. Electric strings really aren't that expensive.

Before you change them though, give some thought if the ones that came with the guitar are the right ones for you. Lots of electric guitars come with, "electric light sets", (.009 to .042). Personally I can't stand them, and opt for electric regulars, (.010 to .046).

All of us are different though, and I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. Jus' sayin', "your needs and results may vary from mine, and the guitar makers suggestions".

It helps to note where the string broke. If it was at the tuner, sometimes there are sharp edges on the hole which cut the string off. Rub your finger across the both ends of the hole, see if you feel any burrs.
Wants: PRS Starla