I bought myself a guitar for Xmas. I bought classical Stagg
I don't have a guitar pick... going to buy today
I have a few questions...

1. Can someone recommend a good place for beginner lessons?
Google + YouTube - there are zillions of results - that's the problem

2. When I play with the thumb... there's one cord that seems to be out. When plucked on it's own, it sounds OK. But when strumming, it can be heard.

The first 3 strings are metal and the other three are plastic. The problem one is the 4th string. It seems to be big and fat... while the other 2 nylon strings are thin - is this normal??

ALSO... this 4th string, when it vibrates, it catches one of my fingers on the left hand - I try my best to keep it off and not touch... but it always touches... could this be because I'm a beginner?

3. It's a brand new guitar. I only bought after having done some research on the best one to buy. There some bits where I can see some sort of residue. It looks like cement!

See this pic:

I bought from Amazon... just wondering if I should return and get a replacement??

Thanks

OM
justinguitar is pretty good for free lessons

i'd ask in the acoustic guitar forum about the residue thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Generally picking with fingers is slower and more precise, so if a chord sounds off when doing that its easier to notice than plucking the whole thing quickly with a pick.
If something sounds off, play the strings one at a time til you find the finger that's in the wrong place or not held down hard enough, as those are the two most common reasons for that with beginners.
I don't see a tuner in your list of 'getting soon' items. GET A TUNER!
Custom-Built Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Orange Rockerverb 50 Combo
Quote by OM2
I bought myself a guitar for Xmas. I bought classical Stagg
I don't have a guitar pick... going to buy today
I have a few questions...
Well, you bought a guitar that really isn't designed for playing with a pick. Don't get me wrong, some people do play nylon string guitars with a pick, but the majority don't. If you want to involve yourself with heavy pick style rock rhythms, or even country, you should probably have gotten a steel string instrument

Quote by OM2
2. When I play with the thumb... there's one cord that seems to be out. When plucked on it's own, it sounds OK. But when strumming, it can be heard.
Gosh, who knows what's really going on here. The guitar could be out of tune. You could be bending certain strings, but not others, when you form your chords. The guitar's "action" could be too high, causing the "intonation" to go off as you go up the neck.

Basically though, classical nylon strung guitars have to have a fairly high action, because the nylon strings have much more "excursion" than steel strings. So, basically, the the strings on a steel string acoustic can be made lower than on a classical, and most electrics will have actions lower still. In short, the intonation will never be perfect on any acoustic, but your beginner's mistakes are likely causing most of the problem. It's very easy to knock nylon strings out of tune with heavy picking or strumming, and many newcomers, "don't know their own strength", so to speak.

Quote by OM2
The first 3 strings are metal and the other three are plastic. The problem one is the 4th string. It seems to be big and fat... while the other 2 nylon strings are thin - is this normal??
All the strings are nylon, the metal ones have nylon cores.

Quote by OM2
ALSO... this 4th string, when it vibrates, it catches one of my fingers on the left hand - I try my best to keep it off and not touch... but it always touches... could this be because I'm a beginner?
Dammit, that 4th string is such a rascal, acting up like that! OK, your descriptors are almost completely incoherent. But, it sounds like you're not getting your fingertips pointed directly at the fret board. You fingers have to approach the board at a true 90 degree angle. Otherwise, you'll foul the adjacent strings, muting them or causing buzzes.

Quote by OM2
3. It's a brand new guitar. I only bought after having done some research on the best one to buy. There some bits where I can see some sort of residue. It looks like cement!
Frets aren't supposed to be glued in. They press fit into the finger board. How Stagg installs them, I haven't a clue. Take a rag, put it over your fingernail, and run it along the fret (s), width wise, and see what rubs off on the rag. The the best I can tell you so far.

New guitars with new strings, especially nylon strings, go out of tune very quickly. It takes hours of playing until strings finally settle in to the point where you can pick up your guitar a couple of days down the road, and have it still be in tune from the last time you played it.

This would, (or will), be even more of a problem with nylon strings, especially if you're strumming away on them.

Quote by OM2
I bought from Amazon... just wondering if I should return and get a replacement??

Thanks ....
We haven't gotten that far yet.

As another member pointed out, you desperately need a tuner for your guitar. The clip on type, which goes on the headstock are perfectly fine.

"Snark", "Planet Waves", "Korg", "Peterson", and many other brands are available, and all work well.

When your guitar is fully in tune, the following open position major chords, C, A, G, E, & D, will all sound perfectly in tune. A little off and you'll get something like the E chord sounding great, but the C sounds a bit crappy. When all 5 sound good, you're in tune.

This question was really best asked in the acoustic and classical forum. So, next time, might we start over there?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 26, 2014,