Hey guys, just practicing my sweep picking here, and I have a lick that I am focusing on, that I was wondering if any of you could help with?
Ive been playing this lick for a few weeks now, and getting pretty good at it. however, I cant seem to get any quicker than 100bpm. Even a step into 110 messes me up. I was looking at the directions I was picking the lick, and I think that the problem could lie in the way I'm picking the strings (the lick has some elements of alternate picking in there, which is throwing me off). Here's an image of the lick in question, from the song "Flag in the Ground" by Sonata Arctica.
I know the basics on when to change between a downstroke and upstroke with more basic sweeps, but this one's rattled me XD I seem to mess up now and then at the 5th note. When I took a look at it, Ive begun to wonder whether this note should be down-picked instead? any confirmation on this?

Thanks for any help
Attachments:
current picking direction.png
I do not know much about sweep picking, but to me it seems wierd that the 9 on the G string is an upstroke. I would definitely downstroke that, and probably the 5 on B too, but at least the 9 should be downstroked.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
That switch in the direction of the picking hand doesn't seem very reasonable to me.
That picking is definitely not as efficient as it could be.

Suggest pattern for first nine notes in lick is

d d d d u d d u d (d: down. u: up)

cheers, Jerry
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Dec 26, 2014,
Quote by jerrykramskoy
That picking is definitely not as efficient as it could be.

Suggest pattern for first nine notes in lick is

d d d d u d d u d (d: down. u: up)

cheers, Jerry

This is very much the way I do it as well.

Important to note though really: I've seen people sweep and play licks like this at all kinds of speeds with all manner of different picking patterns. The important thing really is that you make sure you're picking movements are efficient and that you're practising consistently. That really is more important than anything else.

This kind of lick is hard and will take a lot of time to get down, doing it at speed will take seriously dedicated practice. Don't expect to get it down in a couple of weeks if you've never done something like it before, changing in the middle of a sweep like that is hard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You can also do DDDUDDDUD for the first nine notes if you want to cross strings with outside picking. The fingering Jerry suggested will cross strings with inside picking.