I got for Christmas a Duglas Halo guitar. They sell them at Rondomusic,com. I got mine at a flee market. It is made of basswood. It is light and sounds great. It sort of looks like a Gibson Explorer. They guy I bought it from let my dad have it for a 110 dollars. He bought it for me as a Christmas present. It made this 39 year old grey headed man happy. He also had a SX Liquid. I would like to go buy it for my self. Have you played either guitar. What do you think of them. I like my Halo. Dose basswood matter in tone quality.
I haven't tried either (since they're more common in the USA- as you said, rondo stocks them), but the basswood question... it kind of depends. It gets a bad rap, but good quality basswood is often used in pretty high-end guitars when it suits the tone the manufacturer wants (e.g. suhr). Also cheaper basswood used in very cheap guitars might not be so good.

the other thing is that it depends on why the basswood is being used- is it being used to get a certain tone, or for cheapness? certain types of guitar tend to use certain woods, and while they can still sound good in their own right if those woods aren't used, they probably won't sound 100% authentic either. So, for example, if you like the sound of an alder strat, you might not like a basswood one so much, even if in its own right the basswood sounds just fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Halo I hear a lot. They make up to 10 string electric guitars believe it or not.

Douglas I haven't played personally but my friend got a 7 string Agile which was an upgrade from his Ibanez RG and he loves it. He owned it for 5 or 6 years.

With wood in general if it's like one solid piece the sound is going to be good. In experience the thinner the body or neck the thinner the tone. Basswood Ibanez and a few other fan boys go absolutely nuts for and will fight tooth and nail saying it's a tone wood and country it's grown in matters. At the end of the day though it's personal preference. Amplifiers and all matter just as much. Because as long as you can make music out of the guitar that is what matters at the end of the day. That and the guitar isn't made of plywood so you guys did well.

however craigslist , kijiji (canada), gumtree (uk) or ebay you'll find all sorts of deals.
He got me the best ampilifer I ever owend. A Johnson JT 500 Mirage. Under 200 dollars. Over 70 pounds. The guitar sound killer through it. My Jay Turser Colonel Holowbody Rocks through it. The Halo is the best solid body Guitar I have. It is a major step up from the First Act Les Paul copy I bought in 2002. And my OK Yamaha. Has any one tried the SX Liquid. I like the look of it. I do not know what the flee market would give me for it. But on the web site it is cheap enough. I would love to try it.
Last edited by RandellScott at Dec 26, 2014,
Douglas make some nice budget priced guitars.
You have a pic?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Basswood is a rather cheap wood so it's expected to find it on budget conscious guitars like the ones you have listed. Most find it suitable for rock/metal application tones from a guitar wood standpoint as it tends to resonate the mid range quite well. I haven't personally played a Douglas but I have played quite a few of the other rondomusic.com offerings (Agile, SX, etc). If you spend the time to set them up properly and upgrade the electronics/hardware they can be quite solid instruments. I would expect some fret work to be needed on these cheapy guitars.
Last edited by capitalfleet at Dec 26, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Douglas make some nice budget priced guitars.
You have a pic?

Yes I do but as smart as I am on computers. I can not for the life of me figure out how to put pictures on this site. I do not know what to type in.
Quote by capitalfleet
Basswood is a rather cheap wood so it's expected to find it on budget conscious guitars like the ones you have listed. Most find it suitable for rock/metal application tones from a guitar wood standpoint as it tends to resonate the mid range quite well. I haven't personally played a Douglas but I have played quite a few of the other rondomusic.com offerings (Agile, SX, etc). If you spend the time to set them up properly and upgrade the electronics/hardware they can be quite solid instruments. I would expect some fret work to be needed on these cheapy guitars.

it's not 1984 any more. I remember when basswood was first used back in the 80s and the logic was "it's crap cuz they use it on cheap guitars". by the late 80s big names like joe satriani and steve vai started to use guitars made of basswood. over the years basswood has become accepted as a good tone wood. like any wood there is good pieces that make excellent guitars and cheap ones that are used to say they did (mahogany is a prime example).

OP Douglas tends to be the cheaper brand for Agile. they are decent guitars for the money but I wouldn't expect miracles.
I love vintage hollowbody guitars. Like Sears Silvertones. And Univox. A love off brands. After playing my Halo. I want 2 more from Duglas and 2 from SX. I realy like them. They look great a feel lightweight. Mine gets the job done for me. Plus it was free. Christmas present along with the Johnsont JT 50 Mirage.
Quote by RandellScott
Yes I do but as smart as I am on computers. I can not for the life of me figure out how to put pictures on this site. I do not know what to type in.

We would deff be friends if you were around my area.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Liquids are ranging from $99 (sale price) to about $149 on the Rondo site. Depending on where you are and how much the ability to return the guitar is worth to you, you might find it better to buy it new. SX is a brand that's available in a lot of different places (not just Rondo Music). The "Liquid" is a very cool guitar (I've only played one) and is on my "maybe" list. They're available with and without that Mustang-style trem, and most that have that trem are coming with a roller bridge as well. The P90s on them are surprisingly good. The one I played was well set up (a surprise, since I usually consider cheap guitars a "kit" that you have to do some work on to complete before playing).
Cool. I had not thought of the web site or Duglas guitars in for ever. But after the Halo fro Christmas. I want 4 guitars fron that site. My Halo get's the job done for me.

Plus they are light weight and cool looking. SX I have seen all over Ebay so I have seen that brand before. How can they sell them that cheap.

Also on Amazon they have a Kay stratocaster style with one pickup. It is 25 dollars. Seems like it would cost more to make the guitar than it cost to sell it. How can they do that.
Quote by RandellScott
Cool. I had not thought of the web site or Duglas guitars in for ever. But after the Halo fro Christmas. I want 4 guitars fron that site. My Halo get's the job done for me.

Plus they are light weight and cool looking. SX I have seen all over Ebay so I have seen that brand before. How can they sell them that cheap.

Guitars cost a whole lot less to make than most people think. You can't, of course, go by the retail cost of a set of pickups (maybe $200 retail from a custom winder, but $1-4 when done in bulk) and the retail cost of some nice wood at your Fancy Woods distributor.

Remember that the $109 (or 139 or whatever) price includes a significant profit for RondoMusic AND a significant profit for the manufacturing facility that makes them. Buying from Rondo is like buying directly from the Fender, Gibson or Taylor factory. There's *another* layer of profit added on if you buy a guitar from a brick and mortar like Guitar Denter. An importer (like Schecter) will usually figure that the selling price (not the MSRP, but the street price) will be somewhere between 6 and 10 times the cost of the guitar as it arrives at the Schecter warehouse.
Dspellman,

Any idea what it costs Gibson to make a standard less advertising and big budget sponsor deals?
I'll put in a very strong "yes" for the SX Liquid guitars. I bought the Mustang-style trem / P90 / roller bridge combination for myself a year ago and really, really like it. I had originally planned to swap the pickups at some point, but the stock ones sounded so good I just left it alone and play it. I bought a trapeze / P90 Liquid for my brother this Christmas. He couldn't be happier with his.

I looked at the Douglas Halo a lot and really like the looks. I just couldn't justify another H/H guitar in the collection at this point.
Quote by columbiar
Dspellman,

Any idea what it costs Gibson to make a standard less advertising and big budget sponsor deals?

Not much at all. but they do have a considerable markup because they are "Gibson" same as any other big company
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate