So there's these two within an hours drive from me that I'm looking at. Don't know the exact year of either of them, but the LTD owner is the original owner and says he bought it online about 5-6 years ago.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/4804302082.html

This guy says he's the 2nd owner and it's at least 2 years old but isn't sure.
http://toledo.craigslist.org/msg/4798837848.html
All I can say is that from a resale standpiont, Hellraisers sell, LTD's get relisted endlessly.
interesting fact LTD and Schecter are owned by the same company.

I haven't played a hellraiser personally so I'm not sure which guitar is thicker or any stuff like that so the best you can do is try them both out and see which guitar you like more. Both are fantastic guitars and it's going to be hard to go back and forth between craigslist sellers as you'd have to set up at least three appointments. I grind my teeth when guys claim they are going to come back for my guitar as 99% of the time they don't.

if I was to pick, the 1000 series is better than the 1001 series in my opinion for mirage or horizon serieses. The 1000 series has passive pickups, a thin U shaped neck and a super 5 way switch to get 5 different sounds out of the guitar. Plus no annoying battery change. When I had a MH1000 everyone who played it loved it.

however.. if i was to go with actives the blackjack series is great as they have seymour duncan pickups which with my playing styles and experience I had better luck out of. So that and of course the new and awesome "hybrid hellraiser" series with the evertune or hipshot bridge. It has the new EMG 57/66 set all the pros are going nuts about
Personally prefer the LTD; I don't like Schecter necks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Personally prefer the LTD; I don't like Schecter necks.

They feel very similar to me but I can feel a difference. I've only played cheaper models of the two brands though since that's what's been in the area here.
Quote by Tallwood13
interesting fact LTD and Schecter are owned by the same company.

And they seem to be made in the same factory from the many of the same parts. Hisatake Shibuya understands marketing.

Anyway, buy the Hellraiser. Nothing wrong with the LTD, but when you get sick of a Hellraiser it’s worth a lot more.
Quote by jpnyc

Anyway, buy the Hellraiser. Nothing wrong with the LTD, but when you get sick of a Hellraiser it’s worth a lot more.

That seems to be the consensus and the one I'm leaning towards.