Hello everyone I recently changed my nut out on my guitar for a tusq one, the issue is that the nut sits a bit too high up so after stringing and attempting to intonate it I have found that getting the intonation just right seems to be impossible-especially on the first fret with the bass strings. Is there a way that I can do this at home? Is there a way I can slide the string out and then slide it back in so that I don't go through my strings? I have basic woodworking tools but nothing designed for a luthier.
Thanks for any and all help.
Are you talking about the nut itself being too tall, or the slots not being deep enough for the strings?

You can sand the bottom of the nut down so it's the correct height. Just go slow, sanding a little at a time and check the fit occasionally.

If the string slots are to narrow or shallow for your strings, they need to be filed out. This is a bit more complicated than sanding the overall height.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
^+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay thanks-I tried sanding it down, I guess I'll have to see if I can possibly remove the nut by slacking the strings and then sliding it out-same deal for putting it back in too. Thanks again
Wait does the nut not have to be radiused? Since one side is taller and causing a problem should I just ignore the idea of radiusing?
Quote by Lazy Cake
Wait does the nut not have to be radiused? Since one side is taller and causing a problem should I just ignore the idea of radiusing?

The shelf on which your nut rests should be flat. And in fact you want to make sure that it is.

The depth of the bottoms of the nut slots themselves should follow the radius of the fretboard, and it will do that if you get a set of feeler gauges and keep the bottom of the string a specific distance from the top of the first fret.