Page 1 of 4
I got the LOTR books for Christmas! I have read the Hobbit and seen all of the movies so far. I will start the Fellowship of the Ring tomorrow. I know there is a lot of controversy around whether or not the books are boring. What do you think? I personally love them.

also todays my birthday!
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
You personally love the books you haven't read yet? Also happy birthday.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
They're stories are quite enjoyable and my experiences with them gave me a greater appreciation for them considering almost every fantasy setting takes some sort of influence from them. The thing that bothers me though is that he'll go on about some really obscure, mostly irrelevant tangent on some ancient hobbit legend of Hitler the Hobbit, Scrotum Collector of the Gildenvale of the Second Era of the Wizards or some shit like that
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
I've always liked them - the books can be a bit slow moving at times, but they're a good read overall.

FWIW, if you enjoy them I'd also recommend reading through the Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen Donaldson
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Some of the descriptive passages get a bit long winded, and the songs... well, the less said about those(particularly the ones in Elvish - and I don't mean Heartbreak Hotel) the better.
They can be pretty long winded at times but are actually really good books in my opinion.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The books could have used some more really long descriptive passages that don't necessarily relate to the story.
Not as good as star wars

Happy birthday btw
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I found the majority of them to be a massive slog to get through. The battles are good and some of the bits involving the Ring Wraiths but besides that I found I was just skimming through them. And the songs I ended up just completely skipping over.
I'm saving to get the Harper Collins deluxe editions. Haven't read them yet. Well, not properly. I love the look of the Complete History... collections.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by 457undead
also todays my birthday!

considering how much of a weirdo pervert you are

making it to that age is no mean feet
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Being a tad older than most of you lads... I read the first book, the Fellowship of the Ring, in 1965 while knocking around the mountains of Norway courtesy of the US Army.
What a great place....Just like Middle Earth.
Anyway, in the intervening years I've re- read the LOTR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, and other works of Tolkein a number of times.
Watched the fatally-flawed animated film version, and have greatly enjoyed Jackson's efforts.

Tolkien simpy wrote the great fantasy story and hardly any more-contemporary work does not feel the influence. Some have shamelessly ripped Tolkein off.... The "Sword Of Shannara" books for instance. Substitute "sword" for "ring" and you pretty much have the plot.

If you find you like "high fantasy", there's a lot of good material out there. There is also a lot of drek.....Do some research before buying.
Read the Silmarillion TS.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
they are rubbish, crap written by some professor about how the industrial revolution was bad and the classes should know their place. also talk about xenophobic , the enemy has orks and dark men from the south blah blah blah. tolkin encouraged his son to go to the trenches to find glory. tolkin who had never lifted a rifle in his life.
TLOTR is a story about how england changed during ww1 and the middle/upper classes didn't like it.
Last edited by vocoderboy at Dec 27, 2014,
Read the start of The Silmarillion yesterday, wasn't an easy read i'll be honest, as he went into a lot of detail about unexplained things that you came to understand over time, but over all I liked the writing style.
I hate Tolkein because almost every high fantasy setting for everything copied him with having orcs and elves the same as his books

Stale as hell
Quote by darkcheef
I hate Tolkein because almost every high fantasy setting for everything copied him with having orcs and elves the same as his books

Stale as hell

You might be confused. It is a little known fact that Tolkien actually copied his orcs & elves from Elder Scrolls V: Skyrem, and dumbed them down to generic brutes & beautiful people.
I absolutely love them. I've read The Hobbit and the LOTR series at least 6-7 times. I also love The Silmarillion, and some of Tolkien's other Middle Earth related writings.
Quote by vocoderboy
they are rubbish, crap written by some professor about how the industrial revolution was bad and the classes should know their place. also talk about xenophobic , the enemy has orks and dark men from the south blah blah blah. tolkin encouraged his son to go to the trenches to find glory. tolkin who had never lifted a rifle in his life.
TLOTR is a story about how england changed during ww1 and the middle/upper classes didn't like it.

Completely wrong, Tolkien and C.S Lewis fought in the trenches together.

Also, not sure if trolling, but if so. It's a good attempt.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by vocoderboy

I tend to agree more with this interpretation than with those who say 'it doesn't have a meaning and is just a story written for the enjoyment of it'. But I don't think it is racist. Look at the friendship between Legolas and Gimli rather than how the dark humans/orcs battle against the white essentially British protagonists. Also, wasn't Tolkien in WWI and lost the majority of his friends in the trenches and the opposite of what you're saying is true?

I think the novel as a whole is wonderful and extremely imaginative, despite having many flaws - the pacing is very off, it's very black and white, has very one-dimensional characters with few human traits (Boromir being an exception), having Gandalf die and come back is cheap and a lot of other things but it still is a story that has left a huge impact on generations and sold over 150 million copies (one of the best selling books of all time).

It was the book that got me into reading in the first place. With that said, my grown-up self thinks The Hobbit is the better written book with a more focused narrative, more interesting characters (flawed hero Thorin beats one-dimensional perfect Aragorn any day of the week) and better villain in Smaug (Sauron is lame, a burning eye - really?) but I still think that The Lord of the Rings is the more exciting read and the one I'd pick as my favourite without a single doubt.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR

having Gandalf die and come back is cheap

Eh, not really. He's basically immortal anyway. His physical form can be killed, but he can take form again. The Maiar are pretty deeply fleshed out in Tolkien's other works, so it isn't like Gandalf coming back was just an offhand idea.
Quote by daytripper75
Eh, not really. He's basically immortal anyway. His physical form can be killed, but he can take form again.

That makes it less cheap then
I love the films, I have a copy of the books and sometimes I randomly open it up, read this corny as hell pseudo-medieval speech and put it back. It's hilarious and I don't think I'd be able to take it seriously.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
On the real I was given the trilogy when I was a child and I haven't read a page of any of it
Quote by HomerSGR
I tend to agree more with this interpretation than with those who say 'it doesn't have a meaning and is just a story written for the enjoyment of it'. But I don't think it is racist. Look at the friendship between Legolas and Gimli rather than how the dark humans/orcs battle against the white essentially British protagonists. Also, wasn't Tolkien in WWI and lost the majority of his friends in the trenches and the opposite of what you're saying is true?

I think the novel as a whole is wonderful and extremely imaginative, despite having many flaws - the pacing is very off, it's very black and white, has very one-dimensional characters with few human traits (Boromir being an exception), having Gandalf die and come back is cheap and a lot of other things but it still is a story that has left a huge impact on generations and sold over 150 million copies (one of the best selling books of all time).

It was the book that got me into reading in the first place. With that said, my grown-up self thinks The Hobbit is the better written book with a more focused narrative, more interesting characters (flawed hero Thorin beats one-dimensional perfect Aragorn any day of the week) and better villain in Smaug (Sauron is lame, a burning eye - really?) but I still think that The Lord of the Rings is the more exciting read and the one I'd pick as my favourite without a single doubt.

my apologies, he was indeed in WW1 as a Second Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers(wiki) as opposed to my original statement.
in fact after reading his bio i redact the majority of my statement.
i still really dislike TLOTR books.
Last edited by vocoderboy at Dec 27, 2014,
Quote by vocoderboy
my apologies, he was indeed in WW1 as a Second Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers(wiki) as opposed to my original statement.
in fact after reading his bio i redact the majority of my statement.
i still really dislike TLOTR books.

So not trolling? I do apologize calling you at as a troll when it was ignorance, feel bad now!

Generally what I've found Tolkien does best is world building, like Robert Jordan in a sense.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
So not trolling? I do apologize calling you at as a troll when it was ignorance, feel bad now!

Generally what I've found Tolkien does best is world building, like Robert Jordan in a sense.

no one likes trolls
I think what Randall thought of them, LOOOOONG

but I grew up on hobbit so dat nostalgia. It's no Asimov's Foundation though (HINT)
His writing style is indeed laborious to read, and oft redundant passages. But his ability to provide clear settings, characters and events that are easily imagined was brilliant, as long as you have the patience for it.

I would say his biggest achievement was being able to create a whole world, it's history, languages, peoples, legends in such a way that you could just read the stories and get much enjoyment from them, or you could really dig in if you so wished and become enthralled.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I would say his biggest achievement was being able to create a whole world, it's history, languages, peoples, legends in such a way that you could just read the stories and get much enjoyment from them, or you could really dig in if you so wished and become enthralled.

I think this is the part that gets overlooked by the casual observer. The amount of world building that Tolkien did is pretty staggering. For a history nerd like myself, it's brilliant.
Quote by steve_muse
I love the films, I have a copy of the books and sometimes I randomly open it up, read this corny as hell pseudo-medieval speech and put it back. It's hilarious and I don't think I'd be able to take it seriously.

this
I much prefer the Hobbit over the LOTR books. I think the farthest I've gotten is about 2/3 through Two Towers, because they are just really dry. I love that there is just more in them, but actually reading them is kind of a chore.

But I think some of it might just be because the book I have is all of the books, plus appendices, a dictionary, and maps, all in one book. So it winds up being like 1700 pages long, which is really intimidating to actually pick up and read.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Dec 27, 2014,
Page 1 of 4