I've started a symphonic death metal project called Khrysaor last year. Without any actual orchestra experience (I'm 16 years old.. guitarist for 10 years) I've started composing with a cheap MIDI keyboard and some East West libraries, and I've done some pretty good job. I wrote an EP and an album. However, the next compositions I want to make, I want them to be more sad, dark, epic. Until now, most of my compositions are pretty.. neutral. My goal is to write songs which are dark and epic, that gives you chills when you listen to it. Examples are "Minotaur" by fleshgod apocalypse, "a great mass of death" by Septicflesh..
I need your tips. In what scales should I write, any particular arranging/composing techniques I should use..
Last edited by guitarpro2play at Dec 27, 2014,
Don't admit to committing crimes on the internet. You can edit your post to remove the confession.

Learn the songs that you think are epic and identify the epic parts. Could be chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms... Probably not scales though - they are too broad and versatile to inform the mood of a piece.

I would think that symphonic death metal bands owe a lot to orchestral music, so find out who your favourite bands have been listening to. Probably Wagner, Holst, maybe Stravinsky... These guys made pretty epic orchestral music. You can usually learn a lot and be more original by going to the source.
Quote by Declan87
Don't admit to committing crimes on the internet. You can edit your post to remove the confession.

Learn the songs that you think are epic and identify the epic parts. Could be chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms... Probably not scales though - they are too broad and versatile to inform the mood of a piece.

I would think that symphonic death metal bands owe a lot to orchestral music, so find out who your favourite bands have been listening to. Probably Wagner, Holst, maybe Stravinsky... These guys made pretty epic orchestral music. You can usually learn a lot and be more original by going to the source.

Hm, that might be it.. Will remove the "illegal" part there. Thanks..