Hi all, I've been looking to buy a new guitar lately, and it's come down to two choices, the LPJ and Tremonti.
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-lpj-2014-electric-guitar-rubbed-vintage-burst-satin
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/prs-se-tremonti-custom-electric-guitar-grey-black

Mark Tremonti is my idol, and I love to play alter bridge, however I also like playing more classic and hard rock stuff (Foo Fighters, Van Halen, Led Zepellin, RHCP, GNR) which is also the style of my own music which I think the LPJ would be better suited for, so its a tough decision.

I'm also planning on buying a Fender Mustang III as an upgrade to my Mustang I to accompany either of these guitars.
The MT is thin compared to a Les Paul and I think for less money you can get the SE245. I own 2 CS Re Issues and the SE245 & I'm very happy with it. I've also heard great things about the Bernie Marsden SE as well. Two options to add to your list.

Some people are very happy with their LPJs as well so I guess you'll just have to try them and see. IMO the SEs will be more consistent than the LPJs meaning you'll likely find more differences between the LPJs you try than the SEs.
Moving on.....
Id go with the LPJ just because im more a gibby guy but they are both great guitars, try each out because they have different neck profiles and scale lengths so thats going to make a difference and is something to consider. Both will suot what you want though.

Dont know much about the fender mustangs, ive heard they are pretty decent, but you may want to consider getting a different amp. If your going to buy new consider going used if you can, your money will go further and you will have more money to work with as far as an amp goes. Their are risks with going used though.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
If you're going to buy a *Gibson* Les Paul, my advice is to pack away some serious bank and get one of the over-$3K versions rather than make do with an LPJ (discontinued now), which was about the cheapest Gibson was able to produce an LP with their logo on it. Overall, it's nowhere near up to the standard of a $500 Korean guitar. IMHO, YMMV and apologies to current owners and all that.

Any of the PRS SE line represent good value in this price range; they seem to do a really good job of maintaining quality levels on a very consistent basis.
Quote by dspellman
If you're going to buy a *Gibson* Les Paul, my advice is to pack away some serious bank and get one of the over-$3K versions rather than make do with an LPJ (discontinued now), which was about the cheapest Gibson was able to produce an LP with their logo on it. Overall, it's nowhere near up to the standard of a $500 Korean guitar. IMHO, YMMV and apologies to current owners and all that.

Any of the PRS SE line represent good value in this price range; they seem to do a really good job of maintaining quality levels on a very consistent basis.

Not often you admit that

TS:
I'd try the Gibson (and everything else you can afford), but Gibson's quality varies greatly from guitar to guitar (throughout their range in my experience), whereas PRS tend to be more consistent.

At the end of the day, no advice can beat getting out there & trying the guitars you're interested in. Just don't rush into any quick decisions, find the guitar you fall in love with
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Not often you admit that

Usually understood as a default, but occasionally, an owner will be all upset by it, and I'm still full of the Christmas spirit <G>.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by EVH98
Mark Tremonti is my idol, and I love to play alter bridge, however I also like playing more classic and hard rock stuff (Foo Fighters, Van Halen, Led Zepellin, RHCP, GNR) which is also the style of my own music which I think the LPJ would be better suited for, so its a tough decision.

Either guitar would work great for hard rock. The Tremonti has it's very own character to it, and it will feel different due to the neck profile. But fact of the matter is, it was certainly inspired by the Les Paul, like countless guitars before and after it. No reason it wouldn't fit in just as well with that kind of music.

Having played one of each in the store, the Tremonti looks nicer and has a really comfy neck. The LPJ feels like a "dirty" Les Paul, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think they'd be great for grunge or punk where looks don't matter, it's all about the rock and roll

One thing to consider is if you'll need a trem or not. It may come in handy for some Van Halen work.

At the end of the day though, you gotta go with what fits with YOU, whether its a Tremonti, a Les Paul, or something totally different. Mark is my favorite guitarist and a huge inspiration to my style. I even think PRS is a better company than Gibson has been in recent years. But at the end of the day nothing feels at home in my hands quite likes a well made Les Paul.
Thanks for the advice guys, can't wait to try them out, hopefully Dawson's will get some LPJ in stock for me to try out!
Last edited by EVH98 at Dec 28, 2014,
Quote by Ghostmaker
Either guitar would work great for hard rock. The Tremonti has it's very own character to it, and it will feel different due to the neck profile. But fact of the matter is, it was certainly inspired by the Les Paul, like countless guitars before and after it. No reason it wouldn't fit in just as well with that kind of music.

Having played one of each in the store, the Tremonti looks nicer and has a really comfy neck. The LPJ feels like a "dirty" Les Paul, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think they'd be great for grunge or punk where looks don't matter, it's all about the rock and roll

One thing to consider is if you'll need a trem or not. It may come in handy for some Van Halen work.

At the end of the day though, you gotta go with what fits with YOU, whether its a Tremonti, a Les Paul, or something totally different. Mark is my favorite guitarist and a huge inspiration to my style. I even think PRS is a better company than Gibson has been in recent years. But at the end of the day nothing feels at home in my hands quite likes a well made Les Paul.

Very very helpful advice, thank you very much, and no tremolo has never really enticed me, so will probably head towards the LPJ.
One more question guys, what's the difference between LPJ, Melody Maker, and Tribute?