Hello,
I'm looking for a modeling amp and noticed the vox VT20+, seems like a great amp.
Yet i'm wondering if its any good for rock/punk-rock.
Perhaps someone is willing to make a short recording of his/her preset on the VT20.
To give an idea what I normally play I'll list a few song that I really like.

Basket case - green day
All the small things - blink 182
I love rock 'n' roll - Joan Jett

That should give you guys an Idea right?

so would this sorta music go nice on the Vox VT20 or would you recommend an other modeling amp?
The VT range is good, but you should also look at the Peavey Vypyrs if you're after heavier sounds, the Vox is great for crunchy tones, but as you get heavier the Peavey takes over as the best in class.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The VT20+ is good but it has pretty good speaker and you want a bigger speaker for that kinda sound.

For that stuff I'd rather get a vypyr tube.
Hell of a funny amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I don't know of any modeling amp (close to the price your looking) that models Fargen amps at all. But most Fargen amps I have been around (not a lot) are based on Marshall plexi/800 and the VT does model Marshall amps.

I will also say I would prefer the Peavey Vypyr over the VT20. You might find a used Vypyr 30 which has a 12" speaker and will sound better for what you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not lookin for an exact model of the fargan, I just like the sound of that one, the Crunch in it and was wondering if the VT can get that kind of sound.

Luke
Quote by luke.geelen
I'm not lookin for an exact model of the fargan, I just like the sound of that one, the Crunch in it and was wondering if the VT can get that kind of sound.

Luke

Yes the VT can do that Marshall crunch. But like I said I would highly suggest you get an amp with a 12" speaker, the 8" speaker in the VT20 will do ok at low volumes but not at louder volumes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes the VT can do that Marshall crunch. But like I said I would highly suggest you get an amp with a 12" speaker, the 8" speaker in the VT20 will do ok at low volumes but not at louder volumes.

I'm not planning to use it for gigs, just for practice in my room.
All thanks for the advice, I have (well... now) 1 more question:
Does anyone know a good site for presets of the VT20 valvetronix.net doesn't have any for the VT20...
Start with all the EQ knobs at noon and add or takeaway what you feel it needs. The VT series is pretty easy to get a good sound from.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Does anyone know how long the tube from de VT20 'lives'?
and where to buy original new ones, I found a lot of em but none from vox self.
Quote by luke.geelen
Does anyone know how long the tube from de VT20 'lives'?
and where to buy original new ones, I found a lot of em but none from vox self.

That tube is a 12ax7 nothing special at all. Any 12ax7 will work just fine and they will last years in that amp typically.

Vox does not make tubes, there are only a few tube makers in the world these days and they produce and rebrand tubes for different names all the time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hey, so I maneged to make time and in a few weeks I can go to a music store ( http://www.bax-shop.nl ) and was wonderin wich amps should I really give a shot. I wamt a modeling one, the Vox VT and fender mustang are already on my list but the peavey vypyr they don't ( can't really find them here in the netherlands at all).
Besides that, are there any other modeling amps that I should really try?
Quote by luke.geelen
Hey, so I maneged to make time and in a few weeks I can go to a music store ( http://www.bax-shop.nl ) and was wonderin wich amps should I really give a shot. I wamt a modeling one, the Vox VT and fender mustang are already on my list but the peavey vypyr they don't ( can't really find them here in the netherlands at all).
Besides that, are there any other modeling amps that I should really try?

Fender Super Champ.

Also, the older VOX Valvetronix models are good to try too.
Quote by Will Lane
Fender Super Champ.

Also, the older VOX Valvetronix models are good to try too.

I'm afraid the Fender is outside my budget.
I own two VOX VT30 amps. They get the job done whether it is a quiet and clean gig in a club/restaurant or a heavier classic rock gig. I have one amp set up for clean jobs and the other amp set up for rock rooms. We don't do metal however so I can't comment on that. We do classic rock (ZZ Top, Santana, Journey, blues etc.). The VT30 has a 10" speaker and I mic it with a Shure SM57 through the PA just to get more balance not more volume. The VT30 is surprisingly loud. The one thing I will add is that you can get almost any sound out of it and the effects are pretty good but you need to spend hours working on the sound and creating your settings. It's not a quick thing and I have read that some people get frustrated that they aren't getting what they want right out of the box. You need to really spend a lot of time tweaking your settings (I just did one of my amps again last night for an upcoming New Year's gig). It's definately worth the time and effort. I also suggest if you get a VT series amp, get the (not included) foot pedal that allows you to switch between your pre-sets. You'll go crazy playing a gig without that pedal. It's another $50-60.00 but you will need it.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 29, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74
I own two VOX VT30 amps. They get the job done whether it is a quiet and clean gig in a club/restaurant or a heavier classic rock gig. I have one amp set up for clean jobs and the other amp set up for rock rooms. We don't do metal however so I can't comment on that. We do classic rock (ZZ Top, Santana, Journey, blues etc.). The VT30 has a 10" speaker and I mic it with a Shure SM57 through the PA just to get more balance not more volume. The VT30 is surprisingly loud. The one thing I will add is that you can get almost any sound out of it and the effects are pretty good but you need to spend hours working on the sound and creating your settings. It's not a quick thing and I have read that some people get frustrated that they aren't getting what they want right out of the box. You need to really spend a lot of time tweaking your settings (I just did one of my amps again last night for an upcoming New Year's gig). It's definately worth the time and effort. I also suggest if you get a VT series amp, get the (not included) foot pedal that allows you to switch between your pre-sets. You'll go crazy playing a gig without that pedal. It's another $50-60.00 but you will need it.

To bad the diy schematic for the footswitch is so complicated.
Quote by diabolical
No problem with the VT doing punk, just not sure if that's the right wattage in your case, i.e. most likely it won't cut it above a drummer.

I'm planning to use it as practise amp, so I don't need to cut above a drummer.