Hi there,

I was just wondering, why are the lyrics so negative/dark in heavy/alternative rock/metal bands? I mean, for example I could only find 1 song by Breaking Benjamin that's not about loss, pain, misery or whatever. Their music is good, but why so dark? Gives me the creeps listening too it for too long.

Look at bands like Skillet, Nickelback (Yes just for reference here no hate please), 3 Doors Down, 30 Seconds To Mars, You know what kind of music I'm talking about.

Al their top songs are songs about something negative (Put aside love songs), or not happy at least.

What do you guys think about this?

Greetings
I don't know... Maybe the lyrics fit the music. It would be strange to write a br00tal sounding song about happiness.

I'm not really familiar with the music those bands play but if you for example look at thrash metal lyrics, they are usually about war, insanity, death... That just fits the music. I mean, that's what the music sounds like.

Imagine a Slayer song about love. That just doesn't sound right.

Writing hateful lyrics to a peaceful song would also sound strange. It's kind of the same as playing a shred solo to a really slow song. It just doesn't work.

Just ignore the lyrics. I don't listen to lyrics that much. I mainly focus on the music. Lyrics are just an extra - if they are good, great and if they are not that great, I just focus on the music.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 27, 2014,
Aggressive songs about bunny's and love would just be silly.

Some dudes may have been raised/lived through some really tough situations that changed them and singing these songs that you see as negative may actually be a positive release for them and there fans.

Some writers use there songs as a platform to bring issues to light.
They probably often even make some depressing shit up just to have words there that fit the song.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I don't know... Maybe the lyrics fit the music. It would be strange to write a br00tal sounding song about happiness.

I'm not really familiar with the music those bands play but if you for example look at thrash metal lyrics, they are usually about war, insanity, death... That just fits the music. I mean, that's what the music sounds like.

Imagine a Slayer song about love. That just doesn't sound right.

Writing hateful lyrics to a peaceful song would also sound strange. It's kind of the same as playing a shred solo to a really slow song. It just doesn't work.

Just ignore the lyrics. I don't listen to lyrics that much. I mainly focus on the music. Lyrics are just an extra - if they are good, great and if they are not that great, I just focus on the music.

Yeah that's definitely true. I just wonder how they must feel writing albums full of negative and dark stuff. Doesn't it affect their own mood?
^ I don't know. I think it may be relieving to write about negative stuff. That's a good way to deal with it.

But really, I don't think all bands take their dark lyrics too seriously. Sometimes they just try to shock people. Or it's "cool" to write about that kind of stuff, I don't know.

If the music sounds dark, it usually also has dark lyrics in it. Many lyrics were inspired by novels or history. They may not tell anything about the singer's life story. The history event/interesting novel just may have inspired them to write a song about it. Dark lyrics require dark music. Dark music requires dark lyrics. That's how it goes. Why do people want to watch horror movies? It's the same reason as why some people enjoy dark lyrics.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 27, 2014,
Quote by larsatol
Yeah that's definitely true. I just wonder how they must feel writing albums full of negative and dark stuff. Doesn't it affect their own mood?

Well, writing about your "pain" or "misery" or whatever you call it can be a way to cope with what's affecting them, like depression, or some dark moment in their lives. Also, most of these bands are composed of/made to appeal to teens and etc (not trying to be offensive) because it's often a phase of angst and many suffer bullying, etc, whatever. Plus, like Maggara said, it's to match the music. All of these alternative rock/metal bands have lyrics like that, just like Thrash Metal talks about war and destruction and etc, Pop music talks about partying and sex, etc...

Personally, happy lyrics bother me more than "dark" lyrics , most of the time they feel forced. But like Maggara said, pay attention only to the music if the lyrics bother you. I'm pretty sure they don't write music to make people feel down.
I think it's alot easier to write sad songs than feel good upbeat lyrics, atleast for me.
Personally, I really enjoy when the lyrics and music of a song clash with each other. It's fun. Like the Beatles' Maxwell's Silver Hammer. My favorite happy-go-lucky song about a serial killer.
Because it helps them connect with a younger audience. Look at any teenage rock fan's Facebook and there'll be quotes from these bands such as; 'Can you tell the look in our eyes? We're going nowhere', or 'On his face is a map of the world', 'If I go crazy will you still call me Superman' etc. This generation seems to love engaging with the darker side of life, and these bands discuss that to connect with their target audience. I really like some of these bands, sometimes they have something clever to say, sometimes it's just music to rally an audience, but it's enjoyable. Even more 'mature' bands do this, Kamelot's Poetry For The Poisoned is almost an exercise in the darker side of reality, as is Sonata Arctica's Days of Grays, for example.

Nowadays, it seems like bands have a duty to give memorable quotes that mean something to remember, for me now, my favourite songs all have quotes I love; 'To be rich is to dream, to relive the memory', 'There was a time when I could tell the crooked from the wicked one', 'Only such a melody comes without a sound, more than faintly heard by those who know what they have found'. I think that nowadays people want something a bit deeper, whether that means something they find more 'real' or something poetic, and the bands write music to serve the listeners. This is why we've seen Fantasy almost completely disappear in Metal and Rock, and I don't think it's a particularly bad thing. Nickel back only really became the personification of bad music when they recorded a song that glorified drugs and money while asking us to look at that photograph, and I wonder if Slipknot have a place in modern music after hearing Devil In I which sounded like a shallow, bored, stompfest, though I've never been a fan, haha!
Simple. It's the same reason that Black Sabbath became popular after they started writing darker music. It sells. Darker lyrics and darker music sells.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Simple. It's the same reason that Black Sabbath became popular after they started writing darker music. It sells. Darker lyrics and darker music sells.

not really tho
banned
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

There are surely markets for that, yes. But considering how the majority of mainstream pop is about butts and getting wasted, nah not so much my friend.

Music is a way of coping for some people. They are able to express their thoughts and feelings through sound and voice. If what they are expressing is negative/nihilistic, then so be it.

There comes a point where negative becomes immoral, but that's another argument.
Quote by Will Lane
There are surely markets for that, yes. But considering how the majority of mainstream pop is about butts and getting wasted, nah not so much my friend.

Please listen to some mainstream pop.
I imagine it is because songs with a "darker" mood, instrumentally, go well with darker lyrics.
Quote by Will Lane

Please stop right now.
I think the lyrics and style of songs from bands like Breaking Benjamin are so negative because the songwriters use music as an outlet. They've been through some pretty intense, miserable stuff and it's reflected in the songs they write. And when you think about it, dark songs are the ones we identify with the most. Sure, happy songs can be good, but in our darkest hours we listen to things that we can relate to.
some bands have negative lyrics because they are actually negative

some other bands have lyrics that people just interpret as being negative

additional bands have negative lyrics because it's a way to get teen-angst cred

most bands have terrible lyrics.
It's Breaking Benjamin, not Supporting Benjamin And Encouraging His Aspirations And Dreams

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana