I own the Yamaha pacifica 112J guitar for 3 months and I've seen that the guitar has passive pickups, maybe changing the pickups to active pickups will improve the sound and make it more versatile?
I play mostly rock and metal such as Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Guns N' roses.. and the sound that I get isn't quite impressive.
Last edited by gabisimonov at Dec 27, 2014,
Put some bareknuckles in that MF
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What's your amp? Don't upgrade your pickups before you have a good amp. The stock pups are okay, so your bad tone is probably due to your amp, unless you're one of those beginners who start with a 1000$ tube amp.
How about a new guitar? Pacifica is nice, but not really a "metal" guitar. I doubt changing the pickups would improve the sound a lot
Quote by guitar/bass95
What's your amp? Don't upgrade your pickups before you have a good amp. The stock pups are okay, so your bad tone is probably due to your amp, unless you're one of those beginners who start with a 1000$ tube amp.

+1.
I have the exact same guitar, the stock pups aren't great, but they're not too bad either. They sound decent through a good amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i don't think active pickups necessarily sound better or more versatile. as the other people have been saying, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

The other thing is, you've only been playing for 3 months. the more you play and practise the better you'll sound, even with your current kit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitar/bass95

I have the Roland MicroCube GX, well the amp isn't the best amp, but currently I don't have any money for a decent amp like Peavy Vypr 30 or Fender Mustang,
but I can afford a good neck pickup like Seymour Duncan.

So should I save money for new amp insetad?
Quote by gabisimonov
I have the Roland MicroCube GX, well the amp isn't the best amp, but currently I don't have any money for a decent amp like Peavy Vypr 30 or Fender Mustang,
but I can afford a good neck pickup like Seymour Duncan.

So should I save money for new amp insetad?

Yes. Pickups won't fix what ails you. The Micro Cube is great for what it is, a tiny play anywhere practice amp. I love mine but it is no substitute for serious tone. Consider a new amp or a Pod as a much better way to get you in the shred zone. You might find a used bean for less than $100 and you are there.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/msg/4801048769.html
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 27, 2014,
^ Agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?