So, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a cheap, 30w+ tube amp. Preferably used, as I tend to get damn good deals buying used. I found an old Randall on guitar center. Are the RX120D's any good (It's only $150). I play in an experimental metal band. I need high gain, but I also need nice cleans. I also need to be able to change channels via a footswitch.

Thanks

Edit: Realized the RX120D is solid state. But I saw a B-52 ATX100 for $180. I know those are tube, however, it sold before I had the chance to grab it.
Last edited by guitar42697 at Dec 27, 2014,
B52 amps are known for pretty bad build quality.

What is your budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cheap and high wattage tube usually means it sounds like poo. Focus more on the sound you are going for and your budget. Good things happen that way. Maybe a Pod XT is in your future for the shred tones. You can play that through anything.

B52=poo
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Here are a few amps to consider that are cheap but have a solid build

Peavey Triumph 120 combo $199 (build a wooden box and turn it into a head)
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Triumph-120-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110625300-i4039002.gc

Peavey VK100 head $249
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Valve-King-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110761829-i4091210.gc

If you can find a Peavey VTM60/120 or Ultra/Ultra+ that would be a good choice. The VK100 will do what you want and sound pretty good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Take a look at the Peavey JSX.. there are a couple on the used section for GC for $399 or lower.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
high gain good cheap..... it really depends how nice you want it for how cheap and what you can find used i guess. if you can find a 6505 for under 600 bucks theres your bet right there but if your looking for something cheap cheap used or new ish and your not really worried about like what the inside is like not trying to have anything done with it other than play it a bugera 333XL is a good way to go altho you will be told how shitty it is on the inside it actually sounds pretty damn nice for what it is i dont imagine its any shittier than any chinese Randall in the same price range they had a model that was pretty much in the same range of amp what was it the RT100 or some shit or if you want something a little more american quality that you could actually mod into something later look for a late era crate blue voodoo thats what i wish i had done when i got my bugera alho they probably arent to far off eachother in sound quality and the bugera is a 3 channel with a damn good noise gate built in. Bugera, Randall, Crate Blue Voodoo. and i do emphasize the voodoo and if your trying to find a head for less than 200 dollars your best bet would be to save up 200 more dollars and look for any of those 3 i just said on ebay or else just go buy an ounce of pot and talk about that amp you were gonna buy
Last edited by KillDeathFace at Dec 28, 2014,