Hello, UG forum community! This is my first post here so I'll try to do my best. Alright, so I just got my first Guitar a couple weeks ago, It's a Washburn X12 QVS, which if anyone wants to, I would like to know more about. quality wise. I got it from my local guitar shop for 200$ used including a gig bag, a new set of strings, and some picks. but in absolutely great condition, After awhile of looking I found one little scratch which could have been made by me. Now, to my actual question. I just went up to the local pawn shop to check out the guitars there, two of them caught my eye. First is the Epiphone Les Paul, after some research I found that it looks like an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II with the Quilted maple finish, except that the back plate doesn't have any knobs on it, it's just flat. My camera won't connect to the computer at the moment or I would post some pics, I'll either find a way to connect this camera to the PC or go take more pictures with a different one. They're asking 350 for it, The body looks to be in good condition, some minor spots but nothing big. The neck is also in good condition it looks like. The pickups don't look great, but I think it's mostly cleanable. The pick guard is really yellowed but I don't think that matters and the bridge looks somewhat worn down. I was really just wondering if it was like a super good deal on it, and if it would really play better than my current one. if not, I'm not really interested.

The next one, I'm not even sure what it is. It looks smaller compared to the Les Paul. I mostly just wanted to know what it was because it looked interesting, not to actually buy it. Like with the Les Paul, I can't post pics quite yet but I'll try to kinda describe it. It says Greg Bennett design on the head stock, and looks like it has one Humbucker and two Single coil pickups. The pick guard, body shape, tone and volume knobs all look like that of a Strat to me.

Thanks for any help!

If anyone wants to see some pictures of the guitar I currently own, just ask and I'll get some up. And if this helps, I am wanting to learn to play Rock songs, like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, stuff like that. Although I am still extremely new to this, just finished my first real guitar lesson.

If this is the wrong section, or I did something wrong, please say so.
Welcome to the forums!
The Washburn looks like a pretty decent guitar for a beginner, sounds like you got a good deal on it.
I'm not sure what you mean by the back plate not having knobs on it. You you mean tone and volume knobs on the front of the body?
Gold plating tends to fade on Epiphones, the pickups on my SG are the same.
Not sure about the Greg Bennett, according to his website he only makes acoustics and the discontinued electrics he used to make did not include a HSS (humbucker and 2 single coils) Strat-shape guitar.

In my opinion, I'd say you're better off staying with the Washburn for the moment. There won't be a huge difference in playability between it and the LP. If I were you, I'd spend money on getting the Washburn set up by a professional. It will likely play a whole lot better.
Stick with guitar lessons and try to improve, we can't tell you which guitar feels and plays better to you. That is what you will figure out on your guitar-playing journey. Guitarists all have their own preferences, this is why there are thousands of different makes and models on the market today. Hope I helped
Quote by nathan:-)
Welcome to the forums!
The Washburn looks like a pretty decent guitar for a beginner, sounds like you got a good deal on it.
I'm not sure what you mean by the back plate not having knobs on it. You you mean tone and volume knobs on the front of the body?
Gold plating tends to fade on Epiphones, the pickups on my SG are the same.
Not sure about the Greg Bennett, according to his website he only makes acoustics and the discontinued electrics he used to make did not include a HSS (humbucker and 2 single coils) Strat-shape guitar.

In my opinion, I'd say you're better off staying with the Washburn for the moment. There won't be a huge difference in playability between it and the LP. If I were you, I'd spend money on getting the Washburn set up by a professional. It will likely play a whole lot better.
Stick with guitar lessons and try to improve, we can't tell you which guitar feels and plays better to you. That is what you will figure out on your guitar-playing journey. Guitarists all have their own preferences, this is why there are thousands of different makes and models on the market today. Hope I helped

Thanks so much! And by the back plate, I mean the plate on the back of the body of the guitar, on top of where the electronics are. It seems most of the Les Paul Ultra's Have some kind of knobs, that are like Treble, Bass and Gain. And yeah, My instructor pretty much set it up and played some riffs on it. Plus the color of it the best color I've seen on a guitar in my opinion.

About the Greg one, Yeah I researched it and couldn't find any like it, even on Ebay.

One small question I have about my washburn, when I turn the tone knob with any speed in either direction, there's a pretty noticeable scratching noise, but coming from the amp like static sounding almost. Would that be my guitar or my Amp? My amp at the moment is a cheap practice amp that I got for like 20$ as a small combo with the Guitar.

Thanks again!!
Last edited by Mallowpuffs at Dec 27, 2014,
Actually after listening, it seems both the volume and the tone knobs give off some kind of static noise when turned with the amp on. Both when I have my Headphones plugged in and when I don't.
Last edited by Mallowpuffs at Dec 30, 2014,
The Ultra has controls on the cavity control plate for the extra pickup ("NanoMag?") hidden in the fretboard end. If it's missing those controls, it's likely that the guitar isn't really the Ultra or that someone has modified the guitar, taking the NanoMag out of the circuit.

As for the "static," it's likely that the pots need cleaning (a doze of DeOxit) and/or the connections (possibly the output jack) have a loose wire or a bad solder joint.
Quote by dspellman
The Ultra has controls on the cavity control plate for the extra pickup ("NanoMag?") hidden in the fretboard end. If it's missing those controls, it's likely that the guitar isn't really the Ultra or that someone has modified the guitar, taking the NanoMag out of the circuit.

Yeah that's what I was seeing by looking online. Thanks for help!

Quote by dspellman
As for the "static," it's likely that the pots need cleaning (a doze of DeOxit) and/or the connections (possibly the output jack) have a loose wire or a bad solder joint.

Now, if I brought that to be "Checked out" by an expert, should I let him do it? Or is it super easy to do and not harmful to the guitar?

Thanks again!!
Quote by dspellman

Ahh that's what was meant by controls on the back.
If it is an ultra, it would have been modified. Why anyone would remove the hidden pickup is beyond me. Chances are it's another model with a quilt top as dspellman suggested.

The scratching noise is what we call 'scratchy pots'. If I were you I'd probably just spend the $10 on pots and replace them and not bother cleaning the current ones, unless you happen to have suitable lubricant for them already. A bottle will probably cost you as much as at least one new pot! You can buy them on eBay for $5 each. Chances are that your current ones are cheap and not that great in terms of quality. Plus you get to learn how to do some basic mods on your guitar! You do need to know how to solder though, or know someone who can solder them in for you.
Quote by nathan:-)
Ahh that's what was meant by controls on the back.
If it is an ultra, it would have been modified. Why anyone would remove the hidden pickup is beyond me. Chances are it's another model with a quilt top as dspellman suggested.

The scratching noise is what we call 'scratchy pots'. If I were you I'd probably just spend the $10 on pots and replace them and not bother cleaning the current ones, unless you happen to have suitable lubricant for them already. A bottle will probably cost you as much as at least one new pot! You can buy them on eBay for $5 each. Chances are that your current ones are cheap and not that great in terms of quality. Plus you get to learn how to do some basic mods on your guitar! You do need to know how to solder though, or know someone who can solder them in for you.

Is there some videos/websites I can look at? I have never soldered before, but I have the stuff to do it. With a little skill is there really no way for it to harm my guitar? I just like being on the safe side.

And again, Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Also, it seems that there's tons of different kinds, what would work in my Washburn X12?

And I just have to ask this, When is it better to upgrade/mod a Guitar rather than buying a new Guitar? Like getting new pickups and such? I know that the X12 is a cheaper guitar so would it worth it to buy a new Guitar? Or would it be alright to like add new pickups/wiring and such to this one? Of course whatever I do will be at least a year from now if not more, I was just wondering mostly. I need a new Amp before I do anything like that And I just finished my second lesson so I'm pretty noobish.
Last edited by Mallowpuffs at Dec 31, 2014,
Well, the local guitar shop said to spray WD40 inside of the pots, which he helped us do and said if they don't get better he'll get us a new pair of pots. After doing that the scratchy noise seemed to have gone away. Is it bad to spray WD40 in them or something? But anyways that problem seems to be solved.