I got a Orange Micro Terror for Christmas and was wondering if I could just plug it in and play it through the headphone jack without plugging it into a cabinet. And if so, could I run the headphone out into my computer and do some low-qual recording?
I read somewhere that turning a head on without running it into a cab can melt its insides or whatever. Is that just with pure tube amps (micro terror is a tube base and solid-state power amp)? Does it apply more to higher-wattage amps (micro terror's only a 20-watt)? Or would I risk melting my new toy?
I checked the user manual for the device, but got sort of mixed answers.
Thoughts?
Custom-Built Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Orange Rockerverb 50 Combo
It's got a SS power amp. You'll be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd plug it in anyway, just to make sure
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Cathbard is right, it is a SS power amp, they are not picky like a tube power section is.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mayge
could I run the headphone out into my computer and do some low-qual recording?

Not without using a proper interface to connect to your computer. And then you'd probably be better off with amp sims.

For recording info, go to the Recordings forum & read the stickies.

If you just want to play with recording using the equipment you have though, use the USB out on the Mustang listed in your sig.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Not without using a proper interface to connect to your computer. And then you'd probably be better off with amp sims.
It's a headphones out, the line in on whatever sound card will do for "some low qual recordings".
You'll still need some editing though TS - cab sim and mixing.

Though yeah TS, if you want to make nice sounding recordings on the cheap you want a nice audio interface and amp sims.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.