My friend wants me to teach him to play electric guitar, and he wants to learn rock.

My background is in classical guitar with fingerpicking techniques and also classical piano.

How would you go about teaching him rock? Should he learn to read music? Should I ignore fingerpicking and just focus on playing with a pick? Should I use tablature only?

I'm not really familiar with teaching someone just electrical guitar and rock, maybe some out there can suggest or give some advice?

Thank you.
I taught my brother a bit of basic guitar-playing, here's what I think you should do:
- Get your friend started with playing before laying all this theory down on him, that way he's got something to practice and you can correct his technique.
- Start with a few basic chords that can be played in a song, but can also be picked (think house of the rising sun or fade to black)
- Start him off with a pick, even though you're into classical fingerpicking stuff, chances are he doesn't care about it. Get him to practice fingerpicking a bit later on maybe.
- Ask him what he wants to play! If a newbie is kept interested they will keep practising, making them improve. Look at some songs he wants to play and teach him them. Be sure to teach him how to use read tab so he can learn other songs himself if he likes.
Hope this helped
Quote by DjangoR
My friend wants me to teach him to play electric guitar, and he wants to learn rock.

My background is in classical guitar with fingerpicking techniques and also classical piano.

How would you go about teaching him rock? Should he learn to read music? Should I ignore fingerpicking and just focus on playing with a pick? Should I use tablature only?

I'm not really familiar with teaching someone just electrical guitar and rock, maybe some out there can suggest or give some advice?

Thank you.

Don't.

No seriously, don't.

You don't know what you're doing; you would be teaching someone material that you're learning about just before you taught it. Tell your friend to go to someone else who knows what they're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well my dad got me started on a nylon string acoustic.I was into G'n'R and Hendrix and classic rock.My dad played folk style finger picking but he taught me my first few chords.When i eventually got a beginner book i could play all the basic open chords and some bar chords.You could teach him the basics so he has a bit of a head start when he goes his own way.Can't see any harm in it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't.

No seriously, don't.

You don't know what you're doing; you would be teaching someone material that you're learning about just before you taught it. Tell your friend to go to someone else who knows what they're doing.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
justin is the way to go i been following him for 2 months and i watch a lot of videos on youtube
Quote by Black_devils
Get your friend started on this course it has all the bare essentials all the way to basic open chords to barre chords, and 16th note strumming patterns within the intermediate course.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php
^ Link above

This is good advice.There was nothing like this when i learned.No YouTube or online courses.It was people i knew,Group lessons,Awful quality Hotlicks videos and books.There is so much info to take advantage of these days.
Yeah justinguitar.. Im a month in and only read this thread for any tips.

I first started playing around by moving down frets on the same string and keeping all fngers down. Was challenging enough and made an engaging intro to guitar, then went t justinguitar