I am actually a beginner player. With that said, I can spend around $600 - $700 on the guitar itself. I rather spend more now and work myself into a better guitar. I more interested in better quality for the money.

So far I have on my list
1. PRS SE Tremonti Custom- it has a tremolo
2. Epiphone Les Paul Tribute 1960 with Gibson 57 USA pickups

Out of these two, which one is better built and which one would you get and why?

If you want to recommend any other guitar in this price range feel free to.

Thanks for answering
Tough choice, both are decent guitars.

The Epiphone is a classic LP style guitar. The PRS will probably have the better build quality, plus the extra functionality of the trem. However, a tremolo can be a bit of a hassle for a new guitarist. Personally, I didn't own a guitar with a trem until I had been playing for several years.

That said, between those 2, I'd go PRS.

You might also consider Reverends. On the eBay list, you'll even see a Roundhouse, their (sadly discontinued) take on the LP.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?price_max=701&query=Reverend&product_type=electric-guitars&make%5B%5D=reverend

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=250&_udhi=701&_nkw=reverend+guitars&_dcat=33034&rt=nc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 28, 2014,
What have you got in mind for an amp? The majority of your tone comes from the amp. Also, if you provide this information we will be better able to assist you with recommendations:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
If I woke up as you, and had $700 to spend on an electric guitar, I'd search for a close to "mint" used Schecter UltraCure. I have some guitars that cost three times as much, but the UltraCure is equal to all of them in Quality and playability. Or I'd stretch my reach and go for a new one (about $850), with the rosewood fretboard and abalone moon phase markers.

It's large and heavy, which is not a problem for me, and I think even adds to the sound quality, but the weight is a drawback for some.

Here's a good review, found right here in UG.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/schecter/ultracure?no_takeover
Last edited by Honorism at Dec 28, 2014,
Since your looking at PRS, here is a few USA made PRS for $799
www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-2013-S2-Mira-Vintage-White-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110430442-i4026297.gc
www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-Mira-X-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110790458-i4097584.gc

Or go used for the PRS. You can get the Singlecut trem used for <$350 most any time and it is pretty much the same guitar as the Tremonti
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 28, 2014,
Quote by nathan:-)
What have you got in mind for an amp? The majority of your tone comes from the amp. Also, if you provide this information we will be better able to assist you with recommendations:

When I started this quest I spent all the time learning about guitars. Not really that much on amps.

Someone told me to buy an used tube amp from Craig's list but I wouldn't even know if I would be taken advantage of.

From my limited time learning about amps, I thought I would end up with a line 6 for under $200. I could spend a little bit more but which one, I don't know.

---------

When I first started this quest I heard the sound coming out a Minarik lotus studio extreme and decided that will be my first guitar. However, even though I live 10 minutes away from their headquarters, I can not find anyone to buy the Guitar from.

The reason I like the custom SE Tremonti is because it is solid mahogany. It does not have a maple cap, just a maple veneer. I was told if I put some good quality Seymour Duncan's, I don't know which ones, I would have the sound and quality of a $2000 - $3000 guitar.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Or go used for the PRS. You can get the Singlecut trem used for <$350 most any time and it is pretty much the same guitar as the Tremonti

Which PRS are you referring to?
Quote by Honorism
If I woke up as you, and had $700 to spend on an electric guitar, I'd search for a close to "mint" used Schecter UltraCure. I have some guitars that cost three times as much, but the UltraCure is equal to all of them in Quality and playability. Or I'd stretch my reach and go for a new one (about $850), with the rosewood fretboard and abalone moon phase markers.

It's large and heavy, which is not a problem for me, and I think even adds to the sound quality, but the weight is a drawback for some.

Here's a good review, found right here in UG.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/schecter/ultracure?no_takeover

I don't really want a large and heavy guitar. I don't have the biggest hands either.
Quote by Bruin18
Which PRS are you referring to?

The PRS SE Singlecut trem model.

These have been around for several years and will be more available used when compared to the new Tremonti custom
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Some are discouraging me fro getting a tremolo guitar for my first one. What do you guys think? What makes it so challenging for a first guitar?

Thanks
It is more mechanically complex than a hardtail. More moving parts means means more things can go wrong- that's why cheap tremolos are to be avoided at all costs- and tuning & restringing are more of a hassle.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 31, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It is more mechanically complex than a hardtail. More moving parts means means more things can go wrong- that's why cheap tremolos are to be avoided at all costs- and tuning & restringing are more of a hassle.

+1
I only own 1 guitar with a trem (well 2 but only 1 that is playable) and it is a PRS with an amazingly good trem. I have heard mixed reviews on the SE series trems, But I kinda think it is wrong to not have a trem on a PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Bruin18
When I started this quest I spent all the time learning about guitars. Not really that much on amps.

Someone told me to buy an used tube amp from Craig's list but I wouldn't even know if I would be taken advantage of.

From my limited time learning about amps, I thought I would end up with a line 6 for under $200. I could spend a little bit more but which one, I don't know.

---------

When I first started this quest I heard the sound coming out a Minarik lotus studio extreme and decided that will be my first guitar. However, even though I live 10 minutes away from their headquarters, I can not find anyone to buy the Guitar from.

The reason I like the custom SE Tremonti is because it is solid mahogany. It does not have a maple cap, just a maple veneer. I was told if I put some good quality Seymour Duncan's, I don't know which ones, I would have the sound and quality of a $2000 - $3000 guitar.

you seem a bit confused and perhaps haven't done that much homework. a crap amp isn't the way to go. for the money you are talking you can find a perfectly good used guitar and amp that will do fine for now and you'll be able to grow with. putting new pickups in a guitar is no guarantee that it will sound way better or match a way more expensive guitar. while the PRS may be made out of some kind of mahogany don't think that that is the same mahogany as say a high end Gibson Les Paul. actual maple cap is better than a veneer in many cases. bottom line there is a lot to learn and there is no substitute for experience.

think harder on getting a better amp. the worlds greatest guitar will still only sound as good as the amp will allow.
I think 700 dollars is a tough price point. You buy a new PRS SE and you've got a pretty good guitar, but it'll be worth half of what you paid for it as soon as you start playing it. On the other hand you're also near the bottom end of used MiA Strat range, and I think used Gibson Les Paul Studios are in that ballpark as well. If you get one of those you'd have nicer hardware to work with and the guitar probably wouldn't change value too much even as you put some wear on it.

Here is an analogy that might not directly apply to you right now, but should be a useful lesson all the same.
Many of us become tempted by the idea of getting a cheaper guitar and upgrading it. You can spend a lot of money hot-rodding a Honda Civic but it'll never be anything more than a hot-rodded Civic. When you try to re-sell that car you're not going to get any of your money back. But if you buy a Corvette instead then you'll have a higher performing guitar from the beginning. If you decide to sell the car you can count on getting what the car is worth, rather than what you spent on it.
Additionally - a hot-rodded civic might be able to match a Corvette performance-wise but it's probably going to be finicky and a pain in the ass to keep it running that way. All of the Corvette parts are engineered from the beginning of the design process to be used in a performance car. It is capable of performance that the average person will never attempt to use. A civic on the other hand is designed toward a price point and a generally different sort of user experience. You can drop a huge engine into the car, but huge engines are heavy. You'll need to stiffen the suspension, which will reduce ride quality. To get ride quality back you'll need to make other changes, which will necessitate still more changes. Etc...

Short version - if you can't get a Corvette then you should at least try to limit the amount of money you spend on the civic. Get a used PRS SE for about 350$ and use that until you can afford a nicer guitar.
^^Any new guitar takes a hit the minute it's been used. Gibsons are no exception. I've owned 4 Gibson LPs, CS R0 50th Ann V2, USA Trad+, R7 & R8. I still have the R7 & R8 and probably will for life. I lost $1800 on the R0 and $650 on the Trad+ selling used at market value.
The SE will lose $200-250 but to realize that you have to sell it and there'd be no reason to really, it's well built and will last.
I would recommend trying the SE Bernie Marsden, I have the SE 245 & like it very much but I've heard nothing but great things on the BM even from people whi tried and liked the 245. I doubt you'll find a better guitar new for this price range.

Bernie Marsden

Buying a decent guitar should be your primary goal. You can then experiment with amps using your guitar. I see you're a beginner so all you need is a decent modelling amp for home use for now. The last thing you need (or anyone close enough to listen) is a loud tube amp when you're 1st learning.

And don't worry about the wide fat designation for the neck, PRS necks are normally quite small and their wide and fat is nothing like Gibson's.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 31, 2014,