I recently purchased an Ibanez RGD421 (which I would've shared an NGD post but I'm in the middle of modding it right away instead). I bought this guitar to have an easier chance at lowering tuning all the way down to Drop A. Currently I have on there (because these strings were readily available to me from other sets) 10-13-17-28-38-60. The 60 string doesn't achieve a properly intonation on when tuned to A.

I'm thinking that the first 5 strings should go 13-18-30-42-52(54?) but I can't figure out how large I should go for the dropped A string. The thing is that I believe anything larger than 62 won't fit in the eye of the tuning peg (I already tried with a 65 bass string and it won't go through).

So it comes down to this: 1) What size strings should I look at for Drop A on a 26.5" scale neck, and 2) do I file out the eye of my tuning peg or are there aftermarket machine heads with wider eye holes that I can invest in?
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

62 should still fit. Atleast i have not encountered a tuning peg that is too small for that string. If it really is too small then you need to drill the hole larger. For B tuning IMHO d'addario 13-62 light baritone set is spot on and well balanced tension from string to string.

Honestly though, 60 should be enough for Drop A on 26.5 scale, bit loose but very playable. If it does not intonate i believe something else is off. My 7 string is 27" scale and 62 is very tight and 60 is not that far off.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 28, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
If it does not intonate i believe something else is off.

Between combating fret buzz and high action and while doing some truss rod adjustments, I can never seem to get a proper intonation on A. Well, it's more like if I tune to proper A at octave, it seems that open A is anywhere from 20-40 cents flat while all other frets appear to be in tune (if that makes any sense). I have the saddle pulled back all the way without the spring on saddle length adjusting screw (it uses Ibanez's Gibraltar 6 string bridge if you're familiar with that at all).

I think the next set of strings I'm going to order is definitely going to have a 62 string in there now.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Dec 28, 2014,
Quote by FoX KiLLa
The 60 string doesn't achieve a properly intonation on when tuned to A.

Then you’re doing something incorrectly. A 60 should be a little loose in A but there shouldn’t be intonation problems. You should even be able to use a .054 if you keep the action up enough that it doesn’t buzz.