Both are considered low end units
Please don't suggest something else , i know they're both not that good

My main interest is a good distortion tone
I don't care for most of the other effects
A good distortion tone comes first !
Ps . i play extreme metal if you'd like to know
Get the Zoom G1Xon. It is not a low end unit.

The older version you are looking at isn't worth having.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Not trying to be mean but, what does it matter? You said you didn't want any other suggestions, you're mind is made up between those two. But they're both terrible, especially for distortion sounds, so nobody cares which one you get.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I know dude
But knowing which's less terrible could help
And even though they're both far from professional the zoom isn't that bad after all
Whats your budget? Help us help you to find something that you'd actually want to play, not something that you think is less than good.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by DeathmoniC
I know dude
And even though they're both far from professional the zoom isn't that bad after all

The Zoom is great if you buy the right one.

Just not the one you're asking about.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by DeathmoniC
I know dude

I, literally, can not think of a more effective way to achieve horrible distortion tone than either of the two. They are both equally terrible. UG can be incredibly useful for giving ideas for options that you may not realize you have. If you want suggestions, cool, UG can help.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by DeathmoniC
fine , what do you guys suggest ?
when does they start to get actually good ?

They get good with the one I suggested in my first reply.

I paid £40 new, it gives great tone & has loads of features. Seriously, look into it, it's a great unit.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Check out the Zoom G3. They're cheap but they're a great piece of kit, far better than any Zoom mfx ever made, except the G5. They have a looper, a metronome with dozens of different drum beats instead of tic tic tock tic, they sound great through headphones. Lots of weird noises to work with, the slicer is very cool, as is the reverse delay (tap tempo). There's an effect called "bomber" that's pretty cool for weird noises plus the typical harmonizer and ring modulator. Its quick to operate, user friendly and very durable too.
The G1on, G3 and G5 all use the same basic set of effects & amp sims - a set of effects that has been significantly upgraded from the earlier units you were originally asking about.

They sound great, and have more effects included than most people will ever need. These effects can be set up in patches/banks of up to 6 at a time (including an amp/cab sim). All units include a looper, drum sequencer and USB (the G1on USB is for firmware updates only, the G3 & G5 are also a USB interface for recording).

From memory, the differences are:

G1on: Focus on switching between preset patches, slightly fewer effects compared to the larger units. Includes an aux input so you can play along to an MP3 player etc. UK price about £40 new. There is also a G1Xon that includes an expression pedal that costs a little extra, usually around £65.

G3: Focuses on control of individual effects, which can be set up in separate banks. Includes 3 separate pedals. UK price about £110 new. There is also a G3X that includes an expression pedal that costs a little extra, usually around £140.

G5: Works the same as the G3, but has extra pedals for control (including an expression pedal) and includes a tube boost pedal. UK price about £200 new.

As you're looking to go cheap & only need something for home practice, I'd recommend the G1on. Listen to this recording - all the guitars (including the bass) were recorded using nothing but the preset patches on my G1on.

For £40, you can't go wrong. If you were looking to do gigging, I'd recommend saving for the G3 or G5, but as you're obviously just thinking about a practice tool, the G1on will be plenty.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at May 6, 2015,
Quote by GaryBillington
The G1on, G3 and G5 all use the same basic set of effects & amp sims - a set of effects that has been significantly upgraded from the earlier units you were originally asking about.

They sound great, and have more effects included than most people will ever need. These effects can be set up in patches/banks of up to 6 at a time (including an amp sim). All units include a looper, drum sequencer and USB interface.

From memory, the differences are:

G1on: Focus on switching between preset patches, includes an aux input so you can play along to an MP3 player etc. UK price about £40 new. There is also a G1Xon that includes an expression pedal that costs a little extra, usually around £65.

G3: Focuses on control of individual effects, which can be set up in separate banks. Includes 3 separate pedals. UK price about £110 new. There is also a G3X that includes an expression pedal that costs a little extra, usually around £140.

G5: Works the same as the G3, but has extra pedals for control (including an expression pedal and includes a tube boost pedal. UK price about £200 new.

As you're looking to go cheap & only need something for home practice, I'd recommend the G1on. Listen to this recording - all the guitars (including the bass) were recording using nothing but the preset patches on my G1on.

For £40, you can't go wrong. If you were looking to do gigging, I'd recommend saving for the G3 or G5, but as you're obviously just thinking about a practice tool, the G1on will be plenty.

Thanks man a pretty good answer
Nice song too (y)