Page 1 of 3
HI folks,

Looking to spend no more than £300 on a good practice amp. I am considering:

Peavey vypyr
Line 6
Blackstar

Any ideas/ advice very much appreciated?

What do you guys think?
Jet City 22H and a Harley Benton 1X12 from Thomman until we know more.

260 including free shipping.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
out of the three, Peavey Vypyr any day.

If you can, get a tube 60 will be a bit more future proof.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Up for the vypyr tube 60 idea.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Fisheth24
Jet City 22H and a Harley Benton 1X12 from Thomman until we know more.

260 including free shipping.

This
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was originally going to recommend a Vypr tube used, but after searching for one on and off for a couple of years, I never found one in the UK.

They're pretty uncommon.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
how quietly do you have to play?

what do you mean by metal and rock?

what's your current gear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies.

No gigs anytime soon just need it for home use as a practice amp.

I have and old fender frontman 15W with an Ibanez rg, looking for something more advanced with functions like a usb connection to software, backing tracks, different preset sounds, gain, mid treb, reverb etc.

Will play shred stuff, satriani, Vai, classic rock, led zep, van Halen, 80s metal.

Thanks again
Last edited by gravyYelp at Dec 28, 2014,
Jet City 22H+Cab and a USB interface will be perfect for that then... Might be a tad over budget though
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 28, 2014,
How would that setup work never used a cab before. What kind of price would it be?

I can't find many online dealers for them is that a bad thing?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

and a used M-Audio Fast track and a SM57 so you can record or something. that's what I'd do here
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 28, 2014,
yeah for those tones a jet city would be awesome, but it depends on exactly how quietly you have to practise- I know you said home use only, but some people live out in the middle of nowhere and some people live in city apartments.

a boost pedal would be handy, too- boss sd1, digitech bad monkey, something like that.

EDIT: you're ok with tubes, just to check?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies, nothing too loud I have neighbours.

Tubes are no probs
Use a volume knob with a boost?

That's what I'd do here.

I play my 22H at slightly louder than TV volumes and I think it sounds great...

Rehersal volumes however, sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhLUQGjByI
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks for the replies.

OK great, that sounds awesome.

Some marshall combos here, they look great:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid22240/cid691/marshall-mg15cfxms-15w-micro-stack-with-fx-124-carbon-fibre-finish.asp

Slightly over budget:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/guitar-amps/103680-marshall-dsl15h-head-mx112-cab-rf1-reverb-rg1-modulation-pedal#sterling_uk

Read some good revies of Orange too.

What do you think?
Avoid the MG and the Blackstar.

Still think the JC's the best bet after you mentioned some of the 80's stuff. The DSL could cover it but like you said, over budget and I didn't think much of it when I tried it when testing out my ESP
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 29, 2014,
Quote by gravyYelp
What makes you say that bud?

Thanks again

MG is just a can of bee's and Blackstar are infamous around here for being liars... (Inb4 Cathbard)

My personal opinion is that they sounded really flat when I played one, when testing a Schecter out. Bare it in mind, the guitar has really hot pickups so I was expecting a bit more of a response from it. Also Blackstar are the guys behind the JCM 900, which I've never liked, not much of a Marshall guy though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The cabs a bit naff, IMO.

If the amps like the bigger version it should be ok, but it doesn't have that huge treble that you associate with the 80's like the Jet City/Soldano stuff.

If you're wanting to do the IRT route I'd go the studio personally, footswitchable and can be used as a USB interface...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_irtstudio.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

That's what I'd go for... Cheaper than 499 and the cabs better (Two V30's are the industry standard for heavier music, though they're not liked by everyone)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 29, 2014,
OK great.

I like the jet city, but the 5 days delivery is far too long to wait I'm too impatient :-)
Completely worth it though, generally when I've ordered from Thomman it's been three at most.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Would a half stack be the way to go? Can you add cabs, upgrade in the future?
Quote by gravyYelp
Would a half stack be the way to go? Can you add cabs, upgrade in the future?

Yeah you can change cabs and heads as often as you like.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
For bang for your buck nope, other things I can think of would be the EVH 5150 mini but that's out of budget.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If low volume is really a concern (again, it depends on exactly how low you mean), I've heard that the 50 watt jet city head actually sounds better at very low volumes than the 20 watt head. That's only hearsay since I've only tried the 50, but the people who have been saying it are generally reliable.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blackstar HT-20 would definitely give you the sounds you are looking for. In that price range. I have one and it is a great amp. This forum tends to run very anti-Blackstar but you will get a ton of Jet City recommendations. Both are good amps, just different sounding.

Without getting into the purist tube debate and how Blackstar achieves clipping, try them out. For me, it is kind of a silly debate since so many players add overdrive pedals to drive the sound anyway, but that is really another subject.

I like to play similar styles, albeit a little more diverse, I compared the iMarshall DSL 40w and 15w amps, Orange, Egnater, Jet City and Fender. All multiple models before landing on the Blackstar. Again, I chose based on what I thought sounded the best. All had different pluses and minuses. I thought the Marshall classic gain was the best for Rock but couldn't take the distortion. Orange sounded fizzy to me and the Egnater plain. I liked the Fender but the models I liked were too loud for home use. The Jet City was solid, I just thought the Blackstar had a little more modern distortion sound for me. I like the amp to drive distortion, therefore, maybe pedals could dialin these sounds with the other amps.

Hope this helps.
I forgot to add that the Blackstar HT-20 sounds great at bedroom levels. It is a little darker at lower volumes, some compare it to covering the amp with a blanket, but I have a BBE Sonic pedal that really makes this amp sound great at bedroom levels. Once you get the master volume up beyond 3 or 4 (which is loud), it brightens up.
To be fair, it's not so much the "purist tube debate" as the "i don't like people who are trying to talk me into giving them my money lying to me (or very strongly implying something which isn't true, if not outright lying) debate"

But yeah, admittedly it's probably not worth biting off your nose to spite your face over. If you prefer the sound of the blackstar, that's fair enough (i haven't tried it). I did try the artisan, which is all-tube, and I didn't much like it. So
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MAChiefs
but I have a BBE Sonic pedal that really makes this amp sound great at bedroom levels.

Wel your obviously new to the world of amps, everyone I know that has used a BBE SS or maximize likes it for a short time then it is off the pedal board for good. The BBE sonic Maximizer is basically an EQ for idiots
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Wel your obviously new to the world of amps, everyone I know that has used a BBE SS or maximize likes it for a short time then it is off the pedal board for good. The BBE sonic Maximizer is basically an EQ for idiots

the BBE SS has one tone knob and your calling it a EQ for dummies ??...lol ... maybe for a guitar that only has a volume knob ........ I like the SS myself , sounds great playing by your self and at low volumes like Macchiefs , but in the Band mix you can tell a darn thing .... maybe a recording studio could tell a difference but in the Mix I can't hear a benefit or difference ..... I still keep it on the pedal board and if I take the board with me I will have the SS on .....
Buy the ****ing JCA and an overdrive. What is all this bullshit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use a blackstar HT5R and a peavey classic 50 212 both at bedroom levels. Wattage can be deceiving because you tend to think a high wattage amp will be to loud but most play well at lower volumes too.

Next is an ab box to run them both together
Quote by Robbgnarly

Have been playing since 1984. Lastly, I would not call other people idiots when your foundational argument is: "everyone I know".
Quote by Cathbard
Buy the ****ing JCA and an overdrive. What is all this bullshit?

This.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Dave_Mc
To be fair, it's not so much the "purist tube debate" as the "i don't like people who are trying to talk me into giving them my money lying to me (or very strongly implying something which isn't true, if not outright lying) debate"

But yeah, admittedly it's probably not worth biting off your nose to spite your face over. If you prefer the sound of the blackstar, that's fair enough (i haven't tried it). I did try the artisan, which is all-tube, and I didn't much like it. So

That is fair. I don't feel mislead but I definitely understand the issue and why some won't consider Blackstar.
Page 1 of 3