Early, because I wasn't really ready to post this, as I always have tons of modification plas and I don't usually like to post a NGD until after it's finished. I've had some sneaky suspicions about some things, thought, so I did some research.

It's a 1987 Stratocaster, in keeping with a little fetish I have, it's an MIJ. Those of you who know me are well aware with my affair with MIJ/CIJ Fenders and their copies (Tokai especially). At least, so I thought. Then when I was modding around I noticed some things were not right...

o The Truss Rod adjustment was in the heel, not the headstock
o It had an 8-screw 1 ply pickguard
o It had a stamp saddles, not the blocks like they used in the E-series Strats
o They felt like Vintage Frets?
o No Skunk Stripe?
o Gloss maple instead of the E-series unfinished?

Now, I suspected a Partscaster because the guy had swapped for Gotoh tuners and put two roller string trees on instead of the standard single t-style. Also, he lost a saddle and put a block one on the E-string, but that's a small matter.

I continued further by swapping the pickguard for a 3-ply Tortoise Shell one and swapping the pickups out for Fat-50's. Another thing struck me as I opened the thing up; three single coil routes instead of the HSS that most MIJ's are?

Well, I went looking around and found these:
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=667536
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.blackman4/models.htm

Opened up the neck pocket, and sure enough:

ST-362V

I stumbled my way into an 87' MIJ 1957 Reissue. And to think, I was considering re-painting it! The odd thing I'm finding about that one block saddle on the low E is that it makes it ring out heavier than the others just slightly, which makes it fantastic for surf!

The other thing I did was take a die to a Jazzmaster trem arm to make it fit. I like them better, as they reach all the way past the neck pickups where I do most of my freehand strumming.

I think I'm going to put that white pickguard back on...

EDIT:

Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

It's a '62 RI. The '57 RI has a Maple fretboard, different neck heel markings, and 7-screw PG.

Not sure what to think now, several googles tell me it's a 57', but I know Ippon knows his stuff. Hmm.

EDIT AGAIN!:

Got email back from Fender. It's a 62' RI. Good thing, too, because I was wondering why it wasn't a V shape!
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 28, 2014,
a 57 reissue with a rosewood fingerboard are you sure? nice looking axe. hmmmm.... didn't someone point out recently that single coils pickups hum and aren't any good. oh well just replace them them LOL. enjoy
Quote by monwobobbo
a 57 reissue with a rosewood fingerboard are you sure? nice looking axe. hmmmm.... didn't someone point out recently that single coils pickups hum and aren't any good. oh well just replace them them LOL. enjoy

Yeah, all the 57' and 62' RI's they made between 84'-87' were Rosewood. Historically, they didn't put Rosewood on Strats until 1959 if I remember correctly. I suppose they took their creative liberty with it. Look up the ST-362V in google and you'll find they all have rosewood.
Quote by JustRooster
Early, because I wasn't really ready to post this, as I always have tons of modification plas and I don't usually like to post a NGD until after it's finished. I've had some sneaky suspicions about some things, thought, so I did some research.

It's a 1987 Stratocaster, in keeping with a little fetish I have, it's an MIJ. Those of you who know me are well aware with my affair with MIJ/CIJ Fenders and their copies (Tokai especially). At least, so I thought. Then when I was modding around I noticed some things were not right...

o The Truss Rod adjustment was in the heel, not the headstock
o It had an 8-screw 1 ply pickguard
o It had a stamp saddles, not the blocks like they used in the E-series Strats
o They felt like Vintage Frets?
o No Skunk Stripe?
o Gloss maple instead of the E-series unfinished?

Now, I suspected a Partscaster because the guy had swapped for Gotoh tuners and put two roller string trees on instead of the standard single t-style. Also, he lost a saddle and put a block one on the E-string, but that's a small matter.

I continued further by swapping the pickguard for a 3-ply Tortoise Shell one and swapping the pickups out for Fat-50's. Another thing struck me as I opened the thing up; three single coil routes instead of the HSS that most MIJ's are?

Well, I went looking around and found these:
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=667536
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.blackman4/models.htm

Opened up the neck pocket, and sure enough:

ST-362V

I stumbled my way into an 87' MIJ 1957 Reissue. And to think, I was considering re-painting it! The odd thing I'm finding about that one block saddle on the low E is that it makes it ring out heavier than the others just slightly, which makes it fantastic for surf!

The other thing I did was take a die to a Jazzmaster trem arm to make it fit. I like them better, as they reach all the way past the neck pickups where I do most of my freehand strumming.

I think I'm going to put that white pickguard back on...

Congrats!

It's a '62 RI. The '57 RI has a Maple fretboard, different neck heel markings, and 7-screw PG.

Hnggggggggg.

Looks awesome.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

Yup. My '57 had a maple board with the skunkie.

Anywho, nice score Rooster. sweet guitars them MIJs
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
omg i love it

**** man i get so jelly of your strats
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Red strats with tortoise-shell pickguards are delightful.

Gorgeous find, here's hoping it sounds as gorgeous as it plays! Also you're feeding my internal conflict about whether to play my strat or my Carvin more.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Good that you followed up with Fender.

Looks sexy, specially with that PG . Does it have the notch for the truss rod adjustment on the neck heel?

BTW, the MIJ '62 RIs I had came with different string trees and logo/decal. Now I'm confused.
It's in the heel.

I'm finding out that there's a difference between the ST-362V and the ST-62. I couldn't tell you what it is. I think there's an E-series-esque 62 RI that would be akin to the current 60's Player Strat, and the ST-62 is more like the actual 62' AVRI.

I keep finding 62's that are a bit different. I've found a handful of others that have the same logo/string trees as mine, which I assumed were trees the owner swapped out, guess not?
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 28, 2014,
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Awesome
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Swapped out the scratchy 5-way and rewired it to be like the G&L PTB system. I put the white guard back on after thinking about it. I'll throw up another photo soon
noooooooo tortoise shell looks a hundred billion times better than white on strats
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The tortise shell looks great on red I will keep that in mind for my strat. Happy NGD when can we hear some tones.

I dunno if I'm too fond the the Tortoise, honestly. My thoughts now are drifting towards a mint to make it look more correct, or going with an anodized gold...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by JustRooster

I dunno if I'm too fond the the Tortoise, honestly. My thoughts now are drifting towards a mint to make it look more correct, or going with an anodized gold...

Go Mint, 3-ply, with the proper truss rod adjustment notch:

Quote by dannyalcatraz

The Japanese flag on my MIJ Strat? That sounds pretty darn tempting.
Ees ver rrrrock an' rrrroll, meester.

jake - '62s should have a mint guard like the one on ippon's post above.

gotoh tuners and those string trees look like stock MIJ fare from the time. they may be original if they were out of the RI trees/tuners at the moment. it wouldn't surprise me at all.

interesting color, dakota red that hasn't faded?

that's a hell of a nice find. if you decide to flip it let me just say dibs right now.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 31, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020
interesting color, dakota red that hasn't faded?

It's an 80's Fender. With all this lacquer I'm sure I could use it to shield my vital organs from a nuclear blast.
Quote by JustRooster

Thoughts?

honestly i love it.

but if you do that to my 62 RI i'm going to kick you in the balls.
It's not an ST-62, it's an E-series ST-362V. Essentially the same as the Classic Player 60's Strat Fender makes today. Makes me go "hmmmmmmm...."

If do Black into Red, I'll probably throw that Tortoise Shell back on.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 4, 2015,
Happy NGD. I have the MiJ 57RI from the mid 80s and it´s one of the best Strats I´ve ever played.
Nice!

Let me know if you ever don't want it anymore...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks wicked now rooster. Totes jelly.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That looks so nice, rooster.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Ippon
Now you need to refinish a Sunburst the same way, but in Daphne Blue.

I still have a bunch left from the Jazzmaster...