i have a really cheap strat copy i got from my grandfather(he passed about away a year ago) ...
this is the model

the guitar means a lot to me, i mainly want to play alt rock/ grunge is it a good idea to upgrade the humbucker , and what can i do to make sure the guitar stays in tune as long as possible ? i want draw out the best out of this guitar,
ofc im not expecting too much, i just want a guitar that stays in tune, i want to play it home with guitar rig .
Last edited by pandalee at Dec 28, 2014,
Does the guitar feel good to play? Is the neck straight and can you get the strings low enough without major string buzz and dead notes? If yes then mod away! If not then perhaps you can keep it as wallhanging memento about your grand dad. Anyway you can get some good parts for cheap if you look outside of the big name brands. GFS, Irongear, Entwistle...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If the guitar is solid, then yes upgrading is a good idea. www.guitarfetish.com has some good but reasonable priced pickups and hardware
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As long as it plays OK when it's in tune, then your first step is to find the weak links in tuning stability - is there anything that almost always causes it to go out of tune?

Once you can figure that kind of thing out, you'll know(or be able to find out) what you need to do to fix the issues you have.
the neck is straight and comfortable, the action is a bit too high IMO, but it's nothing serious, i'll pay a guy 20$ for a proper setup, they stay in tune as much as you can expect from a 100$ strat (it's ok but it could be better)
should i give it a try ?
what country do you live?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pandalee
macedonia, why're you asking ?

Because some brands or stores are much cheaper in certain countries. You may want to look at Iron Gear pickups (they are in the UK). www.guitarfetish.com has some good cheap pickups, but they are in the USA so there would be no savings for you there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mod that bad boy, frist thing u do is replace the tuners so it stays in tune.
And you can get pick ups on eBay cheap.
Good luck.
Quote by Tazz3
Mod that bad boy, frist thing u do is replace the tuners so it stays in tune.
And you can get pick ups on eBay cheap.
Good luck.

The tuners might be fine; tuning issues could just as well be the nut. First thing to do would be to pop some lubricant(like ground-up graphite from a pencil) into the nut slots and see it that improves matters.