Hey everybody. I'm looking to buy a guitar specifically for drop A stuff. I plan on playing Slipknot, Amon Amarth, Parkway Drive, and similar artists. Is this guitar:
http://www.espguitars.com/products/9958-esp-frx-ctm-stbcsb?category_id=1963492-frx-series-guitars
With these pickups:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-ahb-3-mick-thomson-emty--signature-blackouts-active-humbucker-set#productDetail
And these strings:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRDDT13?adpos=1o2&creative=55397720281&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzvmkBRCm3ZbV-4-hwrYBEiQAgLOw60wjBMdmdn6EnUmOxJrqoxCyklpQIXuDNKf_BLX55ZcaAq0F8P8HAQ
Optimal? As you can see price is not the issue. I am looking for the best sounding drop A guitar I can get. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
What's your current gear?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
You need an amp?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have an amp now. Just a small one though. A couple options for sound fxs and base options. I am going to get a new one once i decide what guitar to get though.
For what you want, look at Baritone guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're spending $5000 on a guitar and you still aren't satisfied with the pickups, you're picking absolutely the wrong instrument.
...especially since you can go full custom at that price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
For what you want, look at Baritone guitars

Also, this.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Best sound in Drop A is gonna be a bass guitar. You do realize the guitar is a MID RANGE instrument. Your wanting to do bass tones. Get a bass player and play a real guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So you would buy a $5000 guitar and then change the pickups? Also, the guitar comes with passives. Installing actives on a passive guitar doesn't always work (you would need to have space for the batteries - and you would also have to change the pots).

I don't think you know what you are doing.

If you want those pickups, get a guitar that comes with them stock. I'm sure there are guitars with similar specs for a lot cheaper (the guitar doesn't even seem that special when it comes to features - it just looks fugly and costs a fortune). To me it feels like you are buying the guitar completely based on its looks.

Also, if you are going to play in drop A, a guitar designed for lower tunings (longer scale length) could be a better idea - maybe even a 7 string.

Also, why not just tune down your current guitar? You don't need a new guitar if you want to play drop tuned stuff, considering that's the only tuning you are playing in. If you play in different tunings, another guitar wouldn't hurt. But really, decide what features you want your guitar to have. There's no point in buying a $5000 guitar and then modding it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115