Is there some way I can get around this? We're a band, we'd like to tour, but all of us have jobs...
Be self-employed, have a job that gives you leave, have a job that lets you leave and come back (unpaid)

That's about it.
Check out my band Disturbed
Use your holiday from your job, when you want to tour? It's what we have done in the past Or, I guess, take it unpaid/ask if you can not work a few days but make it up the next week or over a few weekends?

There are ways in most professions, but if you'll in a strict profession where you can't have emergency time away for a few days/weeks, then touring is probably not something you can commit to.

Also, from what I (think I) remember the singer of one of, if not THE, most popular Metallica tribute bands is a lawyer but manages to gig not just around the UK but in other countries so there must be ways around it in bigger/more career-driven jobs.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by mantonnewtonsqu
we'd like to tour

but are you good enough to tour is the question
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You get to quit your job and do all of those things when your band is so good professional music people will invest time and money in your band. It's really that simple. Don't quit your job chasing "teen dreams". If your band gets to the point that you are drawing an audience, professional agents, managers (real managers, with a track record), promoters, and others will all come knocking on your door with contracts, endorements and advance money to allow you to quit your job (for a brief time). Untill you are packing a club every night, it won't happen. All the Soundcloud, YouTube and similar demo postings and the constant "my friends think we're great" won't do it. Getting out and playing live every week, cultivating a real regular following in the hundreds every time you play, playing with band members who have a 100% professional attitude, might do it. Just might.
If there are at least two bands in your area that you honestly think are better than yours and can draw a bigger crowd on any given night, it isn't going to happen. Don't let it stop you from trying, but don't throw your job away chasing a rainbow. Work hard at it. Play with serious musicians who really know their stuff and share a similar desire to make it happen. If it doesn't happen, don't let it stop you from just playing and enjoying what you do. Hopefully that's why you started playing to begin with.
Quote by Rickholly74
You get to quit your job and do all of those things when your band is so good professional music people will invest time and money in your band. It's really that simple. Don't quit your job chasing "teen dreams". If your band gets to the point that you are drawing an audience, professional agents, managers (real managers, with a track record), promoters, and others will all come knocking on your door with contracts, endorements and advance money to allow you to quit your job (for a brief time). Untill you are packing a club every night, it won't happen. All the Soundcloud, YouTube and similar demo postings and the constant "my friends think we're great" won't do it. Getting out and playing live every week, cultivating a real regular following in the hundreds every time you play, playing with band members who have a 100% professional attitude, might do it. Just might.
If there are at least two bands in your area that you honestly think are better than yours and can draw a bigger crowd on any given night, it isn't going to happen. Don't let it stop you from trying, but don't throw your job away chasing a rainbow. Work hard at it. Play with serious musicians who really know their stuff and share a similar desire to make it happen. If it doesn't happen, don't let it stop you from just playing and enjoying what you do. Hopefully that's why you started playing to begin with.

+1

Until it becomes your profession, your band is just a hobby. At the end of the day, the chances of your band making it big are extremely slim, so you have to put your day job first. That's what pays the bills.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by snipelfritz
***** yourself out.

This. About a dozen blowies from each band member each night of the tour should cover your losses, near enough.