Hey, I'm changing from my two active emg 81s (with volume/tone and 3way switch) to passive pickups, the EMG alx specifically for the gain booster, and I was wondering what I require when it comes to tools (soldering iron etc), do I need new pots or whatever they are called and what to do with my neck pickup? Can I just leave it unused for some time and add another pickup to the neck position later, does it have to be passive too?

Anything noteworthy when installing new pickups, especially with the gain booster? (space in the guitar, wiring etc?)
A soldering iron and solder is about it, some small spanner to undo the nuts for the pots and I think that's probably about it.

You can leave the neck pup for now but not use it, not sure you'd have room for everything and you'll need the power for the booster.

I take this is that boost pot that jackson used? So you can go from no boost to full boost and anywhere in between? If so you'll also need to drill a hole for the pot.

For wiring diagram etc google is perfect, should be able to find info from emg themselves. A google of the booster will show you how to wire it in.
Quote by Twidler
A soldering iron and solder is about it, some small spanner to undo the nuts for the pots and I think that's probably about it.

You can leave the neck pup for now but not use it, not sure you'd have room for everything and you'll need the power for the booster.

I take this is that boost pot that jackson used? So you can go from no boost to full boost and anywhere in between? If so you'll also need to drill a hole for the pot.

For wiring diagram etc google is perfect, should be able to find info from emg themselves. A google of the booster will show you how to wire it in.

Can't I just use the hole for the existing volume knob? Yes it's similar to the je-1000, I think I can accommodate the battery in the battery slot since I won't be needing it anymore?
I'm not sure on the booster you're wanting to use but on the jackson one the pot wasn't a volume pot for the guitar but dedicated to how much boost you got so it couldn't be used as a volume. The pot would fit fine in any existing hole you have but it just depends on how that particular boost works and whether you mind not being able to turn the volume up and down.

The one I'm referring to is usually called an after burner