Looking for a pretty cheap nice sounding overdrive. I wanna use it as substitute for my amps overdrive, which is kinda like a Fender Deluxe. Just want to know if there's other pedals I should check out. I was kinda turning toward the EHX. Tell me what you think.
Thanks
Last edited by GuitarsGood at Dec 28, 2014,
Not quite the same kind of overdrive. Will you use it as a boost?

Personally I'd go with the Soul Food. You might like the Bad monkey as a boost better though.

If that's possible, go to the music store and compare them side by side. From gain to 0 to 10.
Le Soul Food. The extra bit of money paid for it is worth it. I'd really only use the BM to push an amp to saturation, not make the saturation itself. Although for ~$40 the BM is darn good, the SF takes the cake (and what a good cake it is).
Bad Monkey. it has a better eq section and in my experience makes a good boost or overdrive sound. the Soul Food seems to be favored as a boost pedal by most of it's users. since you are saying you want the pedal to be the source of your overdrive sound then seems like the BM would be a good choice.
it all depends what sound you are going after.

The Bad monkey is a tubescreamer style OD. With a slight mid hump and bass roll off.

The Soul Food is a Klone. Really transparent so will boost without changing your tone.

Personally i would go with the Soul Food. transparent ODs work better with my setup. (have tried both tubescreamer and transparent.)

Maybe look into something more "Marshall in a box" sounding.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
it all depends what sound you are going after.

The Bad monkey is a tubescreamer style OD. With a slight mid hump and bass roll off.

The Soul Food is a Klone. Really transparent so will boost without changing your tone.

Personally i would go with the Soul Food. transparent ODs work better with my setup. (have tried both tubescreamer and transparent.)

Maybe look into something more "Marshall in a box" sounding.

My thoughts too.

You might also find the Soul Food doesnt have enough drive to use as a dedicated OD so the MIAB suggestion or at least something a bit more gainy would be the way to go.

Not saying the SF is bad but its not for everybody.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i'd probably say the soul food. though i'm not sure either is maybe the best option. maybe one of the cheaper OCD clones? Not sure how close it sounds to a deluxe either, mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The more you turn up the gain on the Soul Food, the more brittle it sounds. If you're mainly looking for gain, Id go with something else. If you don't use a lot of gain the sf would be very good, but lots of gain certainly isn't the sf's best trait.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
This is very subjective, and it's going to have to do more with your guitar and amp, as well as what your trying to do.

Like others have mentioned, the Bad Monkey is more like a Tubescreamer OD, and will work better as a stand-alone OD than the SF, it has a bit more gain.

If you have something like a tube amp that you need just a little more gain on, but you don't wanna change the sound of the amp, look at the Soul Food.

That being said, the bad monkey may well not be enough gain by itself to do what you want. My advice would be to go to a local music store with your guitar, and start trying out all the different OD pedals into an amp that is comparable to yours. You may well find you like something else entirely, which isn't uncommon at all.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Dec 29, 2014,
my ears must be ****ed because i'd rather have the soul food for a standalone od than a bad monkey (at least for most things). also as Funk Monk says, if the SF doesn't have enough distortion on its own, the bad monkey probably has less...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
my ears must be ****ed because i'd rather have the soul food for a standalone od than a bad monkey (at least for most things). also as Funk Monk says, if the SF doesn't have enough distortion on its own, the bad monkey probably has less...

I don't know about that. Even my SD-1 has more juice than the SF. Also Monk said the BM has more gain, not the SF.

Personally I'd rather the BM.

Don't get me wrong, the SF is a nice pedal but it's not the first thing I'd recommend for a standalone. It's a good pedal for some color but it doesn't grind.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 29, 2014,
huh. mine seems to have a fair amount of dirt in it.

and yeah apparently i misread that bit. but still. i'd say my SF has more dirt than my BM (or my SD1, come to that).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

and yeah apparently i misread that bit. but still. i'd say my SF has more dirt than my BM (or my SD1, come to that).

I think you should try them side by side again. Fair amount of dirt isn't what I'd call it. Unless Allmans is a 'fair bit of dirt'

When I get home, I will too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 29, 2014,
Weird. People are saying that the Tubescreamer-based BM is best for standalone OD, while the Klon-based SF is really just for a boost.

I thought it was the opposite? Tubescreamers are for boosting into dirty break-up, and Klones are for creating their own break up.

Then again, it could just be the individual pedals.
Quote by Dave_Mc

The SF has "boosted power rails" which means (I guess) that it has more headroom to push an amp. So you're probably getting more grit from pushing your amp to OD while also the SF is sending a dirty signal.

And really, a lot of this comes from gear and personal preference. Up to you, OP.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 29, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane
Weird. People are saying that the Tubescreamer-based BM is best for standalone OD, while the Klon-based SF is really just for a boost.

I thought it was the opposite? Tubescreamers are for boosting into dirty break-up, and Klones are for creating their own break up.

Could be. At the end of the day it's all personal preference but I just never liked the SF as a standalone OD. I'll try it out again but that's how I felt about it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Dave_Mc

It may have more to do with your pups and amp. Don't you play pretty gainy stuff? I use a single coil guitar, almost exclusively, and through a Blackface Fender flavored amp. Maybe the SF acts differently with humbuckers and a gainy amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Will Lane

The SF has "boosted power rails" which means (I guess) that it has more headroom to push an amp. So you're probably getting more grit from pushing your amp to OD while also the SF is sending a dirty signal.

And really, a lot of this comes from gear and personal preference. Up to you, OP.

the Tubescreamer was originally designed as a dirt pedal. the using it as a boost thing kinda got popular in the 80s when paired with what was then a high gain amp.

I think that part of the problem on this thread is a very loose definition of what kind of gain the OP wants. I don't think he is looking for a high gain sound. tubescreamer through clean fender is more like the SRV thing.

the Soul Food seems to be popular with those who can't afford the the supposed "holy grail" sound of a klon. personally I don't see what the big deal is. I've never even seen a klon let alone been able to play through one. maybe it's great maybe not. I've been able to get great tones out of my tubescreamer variants. I think in the end the Soul Food will end up as a flavor of the month pedal.
Instead of a bad monkey you want a used hardwire CM-2.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by monwobobbo
I think that part of the problem on this thread is a very loose definition of what kind of gain the OP wants. I don't think he is looking for a high gain sound. tubescreamer through clean fender is more like the SRV thing.

This.

It all depends on how much dirt is needed, what amp is being paired with it, and with what guitar.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think you should try them side by side again. Fair amount of dirt isn't what I'd call it. Unless Allmans is a 'fair bit of dirt'

When I get home, I will too.

yeah but i kind of can't be bothered because i just got my pedalboards sorted out and the bad monkey is off the board now.

i guess i could try it against my hardwire od, but IIRC it has a bit more gain on tap than the bad monkey.

or against my sd1 or VS route 808.

probably won't get round to it for a day or two.

Quote by Will Lane
(a) Weird. People are saying that the Tubescreamer-based BM is best for standalone OD, while the Klon-based SF is really just for a boost.

(b) The SF has "boosted power rails" which means (I guess) that it has more headroom to push an amp. So you're probably getting more grit from pushing your amp to OD while also the SF is sending a dirty signal.

(a) I was under the impression that both were really considered to be more useful as boosts, and that people had problems with both for standalone overdrives. Personally though I quite like the SF as a standalone OD.

(b) Yeah I wouldn't be certain I didn't have a bit of a boost going on the pedal. I'd need to try it again to be sure.

Quote by lucky1978
It may have more to do with your pups and amp. Don't you play pretty gainy stuff? I use a single coil guitar, almost exclusively, and through a Blackface Fender flavored amp. Maybe the SF acts differently with humbuckers and a gainy amp.

nah i normally use it with my lower gain amps and with lower output pickups

I do play a lot of higher gain stuff too... but (IIRC) what I'm basing what I said about the SF on is lower gain kit alongside it.

to me (and from memory, I haven't played for a few weeks because my ear problem has been acting up ) my SF has a similar amount of gain on tap to my Joyo OCD clones. Not really full-blown distortion pedal territory, but not far off either.

I might be misremembering, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^^ I agree, both are more useful as boosts IMO. IIRC TS said he is trying to replicate his fender deluxe's OD. I don't really remember what the HRD's drive channel sounds like, but I think it's a little bit more gain than the Bad Monkey and Soul Food has.

One person mentioned the Boss SD-1, that might be a good pick
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Get both they are cheap compared to other pedals and sound different enough to not overlap. As long as you have room on your board that is., Had the Bad Monkey loved it & miss it, plan on getting another soon. I Still have the Soul Food and wouldnt be without it,

I might add one bonus on the Bad monkey over most other TS type pedals is the emulated out it can be run into the mixing board and in the unfortunate event your amp should toe up in the middle of a song the sound guy can just un-mute the BM channel and your still rockin
Last edited by Tone is King at Dec 31, 2014,
If its within your budget, try the Boss OD-1X.

I'm not a huge fan off Boss pedals myself, but this thing sounded great through my VOX AC30, and my buddies Fender HRD. Tons of gain on tap. I'm mean, it won't do metal by it's self, but it'll do hard rock thru a clean fender.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
different flavors. bad monkey is more of that screamer, compressed, mid hump tone. soul food is going to be more upcompressed, almost boost like type pedal.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^ yeah. at least when run as a boost (with level up high and drive down low).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not a huge fan of the Bad Monkey as a stand alone OD, unless the 0-gain 10-vol can give the amp enough juice for what I need. Once you start adding the pedal's gain into the equation, things go down hill. It is awesome as a boost however.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP