Hi,

so for a while now I've been practicing several techniques and learning songs in a more organized manner, meaning i would master what i was learning before moving on to anything new. But lately I've been wondering if my practice routines should be more structured.

I do all of my practicing in blocks of two hours, and i like to work on one specific thing for that two hours, weather its a lick, song, or etude, with a little break in between. I usually kick of the day with alternate picking, followed by legato practice and then either learning a song or sweep picking. It's a little unorganized after alternate picking and legato. And I need to fit in tapping as well.

If I practice for 5-7 hours a day, what would be a good way to break up all these techniques over a 7 day week? Not to mention Jaming and scales as well....which i always seem to neglect. I know very little theory.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by McZaxon at Dec 29, 2014,
What I always tend to do is practice what is needed most for as long as it works out fine. If I start to get drained I either switch to something that's easier because when trained things always seem easier, OR I switch to doing anything else. Just leave it be for a while.
Damn dude you make playing guitar seem like a chore, why not practice and play what you like at the given moment
Quote by McZaxon
Hi,

so for a while now I've been practicing several techniques and learning songs in a more organized manner, meaning i would master what i was learning before moving on to anything new. But lately I've been wondering if my practice routines should be more structured.

I do all of my practicing in blocks of two hours, and i like to work on one specific thing for that two hours, weather its a lick, song, or etude, with a little break in between. I usually kick of the day with alternate picking, followed by legato practice and then either learning a song or sweep picking. It's a little unorganized after alternate picking and legato. And I need to fit in tapping as well.

If I practice for 5-7 hours a day, what would be a good way to break up all these techniques over a 7 day week? Not to mention Jaming and scales as well....which i always seem to neglect. I know very little theory.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I suggest you make sure to spend 10-15 minutes learning some new chord voicings and arpeggios ... utlimately a soloist is as good as his/her chord knowledge.

Also, keep a note of particular phrasings you like, and use your own note choice. Experiment with rhythm (as in note placement and duration in time, when to start and stop a phrase, crossing a bar, syncopation etc) ... this can definitely make you a more expressive player.

Experiment with feel, dynamics ... playing purposely ahead or behind the beat, accenting certain notes.

Experiment with dressing up notes (slides, vibrato, whammy bar, harmonics).

Ideally, you want to be balanced between technique and musical expression (the latter partly comes from applied music theory knowledge).

Make sure you know your interval shapes ASAP, and try to learn their sounds over time.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by jerrykramskoy
I suggest you make sure to spend 10-15 minutes learning some new chord voicings and arpeggios ... utlimately a soloist is as good as his/her chord knowledge.

I completely agree with you there. I will definitely get started on that. Thanks very much!