I recently started weightlifting and because I practice about a few hours a day and weightlifted just about everyday my fretting hand has developed some wrist pain. Is there a way around this?

I am sure some of you do both guitar and liftweights so how do you workout both efficiently? should i space the time apart from my workouts and guitar practice more?
Not at all.

Proof:

It's all a matter of practicing both guitar and weightlifting with proper technique to avoid injuries that could occur. Muscle/bone pain is almost always a result of poor technique.
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 29, 2014,
Maybe i should warm up my wrist every time i do anything with my hands. Because i never had a wrist issue until i started lifting
Sounds like you need to reevaluate your form. The pain is likely more a sign of improper lifting.
Quote by davidsanjenis
I recently started weightlifting and because I practice about a few hours a day and weightlifted just about everyday my fretting hand has developed some wrist pain. Is there a way around this?

I am sure some of you do both guitar and liftweights so how do you workout both efficiently? should i space the time apart from my workouts and guitar practice more?

Be careful, and listen to your body. Poor technique with either, when you're pushing the limits, is a potential minefield.

I was seriously into both weights and guitar for a long time, and my technique was fine ... but I never stretched much, got too tight in the chest/shoulders/neck/arms, resulting in my fretting arm's ulnar nerve coming out of its groove while doing a load of tricep dips. I've never fully recovered, even after an operation to sort the mess out. Pre-operation, I gradually lost the use of my 3rd and 4th fingers, and the hand muscle wasted (nerve controls blood supply). Good news is it slowed me down and forced me to not rely on technique, and hence concentrate much more on musicality.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by vayne92
Not at all.

Proof:

Hahaha. Just what I was thinking. It's crazy how huge John Petrucci got between like 2003-2005. Clearly hittin the weights, and chugging muscle milk. And, as if it were possible, he only got better at guitar during that time, as well.
Maybe I could weight to get a heavy guitar called Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro to play. Epiphone guitars can be a bit heavy to hold tho.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Definitely stretch out your wrists before and after you play. Icing can help too if it gets worse
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals