Hi all,
I was wondering is it possible to make an amp - well just the head , for under £100. Well more specifically is there a very cheap kit. Possibly a tube amp would be better, but would I be able to create a cheap one from scratch. So yeah Im guessing it would be a very low voltage but what I really want is 3 EQ settings, Volume and a nice distortion channel. I don't know if this would be possible.

So to sum it up, preferably a tube amp, kit or from scratch depending on price really and try to keep it under £100.

And finally only the head I want to build.
I've seen tube amp kits for 5 watt heads, but they generally go for around £200.
Maybe if you sourced the components separately, you might be able to reduce the cost, but not by much. You could try using cheaper components of equivalent ratings, but I think if you're going through the trouble of building something by hand, you might as well use quality components.

You can make a solid state amp with all the features you want for around £20-30.

EDIT: You could buy a used Valve Junior or Fender Champ and add a 3-band EQ to it. This guy did it (PDF warning).
Last edited by sashki at Dec 29, 2014,
Why do you have 2 of the same thread? You aren't gonna get answers quicker by spamming the forum...

Here's my post from your other one:

Maybe if you're looking to build something super simple and you could source the parts yourself (I.E. not a kit) but no you won't find any sort of amp kit for that cheap.

This is one of the cheaper kits I found:

http://triodeelectronics.com/champrebuild.html

Still more than 100 GBP but if you can get schematics for it and find parts locally then you could probably keep the cost under.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 29, 2014,
Are you doing it because you enjoy making things, or because you want an amp for cheap?

Because if you want an amp for cheap it's probably going to be no more costly to just buy a ready-made Jet City amp head on Thomann (assuming you want tube). That'll cost more like £200-£250 though. But I can't see a kit being much less- as sashki says, the kits are normally more like £200, and they're usually low gain, vintage-style amps (which doesn't sound like what you want).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
First of all sorry for posting twice I didn't realise I had posted twice as I think it reloaded the page where you make the thread and because of this I presumed it hadn't posted so I clicked it again. Anyway to do with what I asked, I guess a solid state may be alright, but as I have heard great things about tube amps I was thinking of trying and making one so I could have one. I also hear that tube amps are significantly louder for instance a 10W tube would be louder that a 10W solid state. And about building or buying I did think about buying one but I'm interested in finding out about how amps works and as I have recently built a guitar I enjoy building guitar related tech. By all means Im not very experienced but I just want to understand how they work and potentially have a relatively cheap amp at the end. Oh and another thought do you think it would be cheaper to find say a damaged head of an amp and just repair it or adapt a cheap combo amp and change parts etc. On the topic of this is there anyway to change a solid state to a tube amp? Sorry for all the questions!
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
First of all sorry for posting twice I didn't realise I had posted twice as I think it reloaded the page where you make the thread and because of this I presumed it hadn't posted so I clicked it again. Anyway to do with what I asked, I guess a solid state may be alright, but as I have heard great things about tube amps I was thinking of trying and making one so I could have one. I also hear that tube amps are significantly louder for instance a 10W tube would be louder that a 10W solid state. And about building or buying I did think about buying one but I'm interested in finding out about how amps works and as I have recently built a guitar I enjoy building guitar related tech. By all means Im not very experienced but I just want to understand how they work and potentially have a relatively cheap amp at the end. Oh and another thought do you think it would be cheaper to find say a damaged head of an amp and just repair it or adapt a cheap combo amp and change parts etc. On the topic of this is there anyway to change a solid state to a tube amp? Sorry for all the questions!

If you're really that interested then you should try and do it properly.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Valve-Amplifiers-Morgan-Jones/dp/0750656956

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0080966403/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0750656956&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05JJBXB5CMP3P2HVB6M7

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=8351281491&noworks=1&query=how+to+build+electronic+equipment&qsort=&page=1

and some on the computer I guess:

http://www.guitarstudio.tv/documents/Designing-V-T-Amplifiers.pdf

There's probably better books you can find too.

To answer that last part. No, not most of the time. Especially when you're a novice with no idea what he's doing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 29, 2014,
What about the Tube Cricket?

Tube pre-amp, with SS output, diy solution simple to build, should come in at under £100.

If you search there are kits available or the PCB, then source parts via usual sources.
Thanks that's a really good idea - never heard of something like that before though so I will need to look into it. So is this cricket tube a type of amp (like tube amp or solid state). Also is this amp reliable - well I did a quick search and one site said there was lots of feedback. Anyway any extra info on this cricket tube would be helpful.
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Dec 30, 2014,
It's an Amp. The valve forms the pre amp and the LM386 is the power amp.

I'd suggest reading up on basic amps and filters am a VERY basic intro to valves.
So that it all makes a bit more sense.

The other thing about the Tube Cricket is that the valve part is basically the same preamp for a complete valve amp, for a true valve amp the power amp is made up of valves instead of the LM386.

I'm sure if you search there are a number of alternatives to the Tube Cricket.
So I have been looking into the Tube Cricket and its almost what I want though I would prefer something with 3 EQ settings. So now my plan is to buy a hybrid amp kit, so any recommendations of cheapish kits under £100 or something similar.
An amp kit that is affordable and has everything you want except for the price is the hi-octane kit from ax84. Its around 211GBP shipped to uk.

3 band eq and a really nice distorted sound. The thing about this kit is that they give you all the materials, but you have to build the entire thing from 0. This means youd have to drill holes into the blank chassis, drill and install turrets(pain in the ass beyond belief), and follow instructions to the t. If you have all the proper tools to do the project, this amp can be finished in a few days.

I recommend Merlin Blencowe's book on preamps as well as the p1-ex theory pdf. these provide lots of knowledge for absolute beginners to pros and will give you an understanding of how amps work:

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Tube-Preamps-Guitar-Edition/dp/0956154522
http://ax84.com/static/p1x/p1-ex-theory.pdf

On the question of whether you can convert a solid state am to a tube amp, no.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Best suggestion I've seen is to find a used Epiphone Valve Junior and then go find some of the six billion modification kits that are out there. Better yet, pick up the EVJr and a used Boss GE-7 (7-band EQ pedal.