Hey. So I wanna buy a budget electric guitar (up to 320&euro for Rock and Metal. I play stuff like Bon Jovi, Slash's new stuff, Deep Purple, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden so you understand I am looking for something versatile, and I don't want a second-hand. After searching I narrowed it down to those guitars:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard

- Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe

- ESP LTD EC-256

As you can tell I love the LP shape Anyway which of those do you think is the best for that kind of music? If you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them. Oh and I am located in Greece so I'll probably buy my guitar from Thomann.
Last edited by Joj0s at Dec 29, 2014,
I know you get more motivation out of playing a guitar that you love the look of but in the end the sound and playability is what you're looking for. That said, all 3 guitars should fit what you want to play. Best thing to do is to play all 3 of them and see which one you like more. Which one of them feels more comfortable to you would probably be the deciding factor, especially the difference in fret size. Between these 3, your amp is going to make a bigger difference.
Oh I forgot, I already own a Line 6 Spider IV and that's what I'm gonna be using until I save up some more for a better amp. Sadly though, I am pretty sure my local music store only stocks an Epi LP Standard, so I doubt I can try them all out.
I wouldn't bother with an Epiphone Studio.

The LTD guitars (while they look very much like LPs) have somewhat different features. They have a much slimmer neck, different control layouts + coil splits and jumbo frets IIRC.

Personally, I would try out as many guitars as possible and then make a decision based on that. That being said, Epiphone LP Standards are good guitars and the LTD EC-256 isn't too bad either so it's really what works better for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you haven't played an LP before, I'd just keep in mind that the Gibson and Epi versions are pretty difficult to get used to due to the way they attach the neck to the body, there is a massive heel and if you haven't had much experience with them then getting your hands used to that heel when playing the upper frets can be 'challenging'... Does the LTD have a contoured neck joint at all? If I were looking around for a Les Paul shaped guitar and weren't being nit picky about the brand then the first thing I would be looking for is some refinement in the upper fret access.
Quote by dazza027
If you haven't played an LP before, I'd just keep in mind that the Gibson and Epi versions are pretty difficult to get used to due to the way they attach the neck to the body, there is a massive heel and if you haven't had much experience with them then getting your hands used to that heel when playing the upper frets can be 'challenging'... Does the LTD have a contoured neck joint at all? If I were looking around for a Les Paul shaped guitar and weren't being nit picky about the brand then the first thing I would be looking for is some refinement in the upper fret access.

Doesn't that pretty much apply since it's LP shape? I would ditch the LP shape for a superstrat if I really wanted good fret access. Although I've never heard of contoured neck joint but still.

I agree though that he should try out a LP first as there are a couple things which make it different. Just to name a few, higher fret access, weight, toggle switch position, un-contoured back. Not bashing it as I myself have an epi LP custom but just features to take note of.

One thing about LTD's though, every single one I've seen/played and owned have XJ frets. They take a while to get use to if you're unaware of what they are. Basically with XJ frets, you don't press all the way down or too hard on the strings as they're meant to give a slight scalloped frets effect. They are quite comfy once you get used to it but whether or not you'll like it depends on your preferences.

So basically, it all comes down to the same old advice. Try it out and see if you like it.
OK, I am gonna try them both out and see which feels better. Just in case they aren't in stock or something though, can you guys recommend any other guitar within this budget that would fit the styles I mentioned?
Last edited by Joj0s at Dec 31, 2014,
Gia sou from Cyprus! So, if you're buying from thomann, they have free returns. Therefore, you could order those 3 guitars and maybe something completely different, like an RG with a Floyd. Then you pick one that sounds and feels best, and return the other 3, getting your money back. That way, you get the low prices of online superstores like Thomann and the privilege of playing the guitars you're going to buy.
I think the LTD is flatter, lighter, more comfortable and generally a faster/metalier version of the LP. Less bluesy though. It's been some time since I tried one, so I'm not sure if this is correct.

EC's have a notch for your belly (similar to a Strat), and one for your wrist in the cutaway for more comfortable upper fret access, which is nice. A Les Paul is simply flat on the back, with poorly rounded edges (said it somewhere else, to me the Les Paul is a very uncomfortable guitar, but some like it). The LTD also has XJ frets, which some dislike, but I find them faster, easier, and much better for bending. Homepage says it has a thin U neck, which may be thinner, and thus faster, than the Paulas' necks.

I don't know how heavy it is, but iirc the ESP EC was very light compared to a Les Paul. Epiphone says the Standard is about 8.5lbs, and the "lightweight" Studio 8.8lbs. I'm not sure if I understand their concept of "lightweight", in both relative and absolute terms.

The Les Paul is a very early design, and it shows. The EC is a somewhat modernised version with better comfort and playability (as far as I'm concerned), so personally I'd probably choose that one.

BUT: in the end most important is how it sounds, and there's probably not much you can do but trying them out. Imo Epi's do have a bit of that lovely vintage Gibson character, while I think LTD's are a bit more "modern" sound-wise. But I can't say anything solid here.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by Asado
Gia sou from Cyprus! So, if you're buying from thomann, they have free returns. Therefore, you could order those 3 guitars and maybe something completely different, like an RG with a Floyd. Then you pick one that sounds and feels best, and return the other 3, getting your money back. That way, you get the low prices of online superstores like Thomann and the privilege of playing the guitars you're going to buy.

you get free returns if something is faulty, I don't know if you'd get a free return if you just don't like the thing... especially if it was pretty clear that you ordered 3 and were only ever planning on keeping 1. I could be wrong, of course, but I wouldn't want to bank on a free (international!) return in that case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you get free returns if something is faulty, I don't know if you'd get a free return if you just don't like the thing... especially if it was pretty clear that you ordered 3 and were only ever planning on keeping 1. I could be wrong, of course, but I wouldn't want to bank on a free (international!) return in that case.

Umm actually thomann approve of this system themselves and encouraged me to do just that. They include a shipping post card thingy in the box that is already pre-paid. You do not even have to talk to them, just mail it away and the card has your customer number so as soon as they receive it, you get your money back.
oh ok if they actually said to you, that's different. that's pretty excellent service.

I just generally err on the side of caution, just in case. I'm paranoid that if I did that I'd break the other two somehow.

EDIT: I would definitely contact thomann first before trying that, though, just in case. I've certainly never got a prepaid postage slip in my thomann parcel (at least to the best of my recollection), and if they're not going to honour that (frankly pretty generous) deal, you'd want to know before you'd handed over any money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 2, 2015,
Well, which Epiphone Les Paul standard guitars are you talking?

If you are looking for this, I would say yes.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar-100237216-i1320937.gc
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal