Im not versified enough in amps to know whats good or bad and whats needed for home or whats to big

Im pretty deadset on a blackstar for playing black metal and stuff.
Just get a used HT 5.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Im not versified enough in amps to know whats good or bad and whats needed for home or whats to big

Im pretty deadset on a blackstar for playing black metal and stuff.

So how are you dead set on one if you said the first part? By all accounts you don't know what's good or bad so you shouldn't be 'dead set' on anything.

What's your budget, what's your gear now, what genres do you play (aside from balck metal), where are you located and will you buy used?

Best thing you can do is try out a bunch of products and find what you like. I mean physically try them too. Not YT demos and soundclouds.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So how are you dead set on one if you said the first part? By all accounts you don't know what's good or bad so you shouldn't be 'dead set' on anything.

What's your budget, what's your gear now, what genres do you play (aside from balck metal), where are you located and will you buy used?

Best thing you can do is try out a bunch of products and find what you like. I mean physically try them too. Not YT demos and soundclouds.

Im in iowa, cant find crap besides the main stuff here. Budget 300-400$. Anything metal, nothing else

I can buy used if its trustyworthy enough. But rather buy new electronic sutff. My current gear is a Roland Cube 20x and Older model Paul allender SE with the passive pickups
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Im in iowa, cant find crap besides the main stuff here. Budget 300-400$. Anything metal, nothing else

I can buy used if its trustyworthy enough. But rather buy new electronic sutff. My current gear is a Roland Cube 20x and Older model Paul allender SE with the passive pickups

Where in Iowa around?

What kind of tones are you looking to get? Any specifics like bands etc... ? Just so we can recommend something a little closer to what you want.

If you don't mind going used. Something like a Peavey 6505 combo would be really good for heavier genres. They tend to be about 300-500 used too so it's something to look into. Might be able to grab something like a Jet City too but really it depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.

If you can find them, older peavey ultras are also pretty good for metal and tend to be cheapish.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Where in Iowa around?

What kind of tones are you looking to get? Any specifics like bands etc... ? Just so we can recommend something a little closer to what you want.

If you don't mind going used. Something like a Peavey 6505 combo would be really good for heavier genres. They tend to be about 300-500 used too so it's something to look into. Might be able to grab something like a Jet City too but really it depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.

If you can find them, older peavey ultras are also pretty good for metal and tend to be cheapish.

Im in Des Moines

Let me pull up a few videos as examples for a tone im looking for. I really wouldnt know how to describe them

@10 seconds with the SD Blackouts 8 AHB1. That sound is really nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYDYiOIuC8

The tone for Cradle of Filths Midian album is my main goal a nice mid bass without sound like crap. Also want to be able to get High Treble and bass without a mudding sound for metalcore.
You could for sure get something like that out of a 6505 combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMx8p5u99jg

It might be a bit out of the budget but it would probably be worth it if metal is what you're into. Although on the Iowa craigslist, somebody has one up for 380. Not sure if it's super out of the way for you or not though.

Maybe a JCA22 as well but I'm not too familiar with that amp so hopefully somebody can chime in and give more suggestions.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You could for sure get something like that out of a 6505 combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMx8p5u99jg

It might be a bit out of the budget but it would probably be worth it if metal is what you're into. Although on the Iowa craigslist, somebody has one up for 380. Not sure if it's super out of the way for you or not though.

Maybe a JCA22 as well but I'm not too familiar with that amp so hopefully somebody can chime in and give more suggestions.

Ive had a few people say that amp is good. I would love it at some point but right now thats out of my budget. And i dont buy of craigslist
Based on your budget and sound, I would not recommend the HT-5. It isn't going to give you the heavy distortion you are looking for. There are a few solid state amps that could give you that kind of sound, within that budget, I would look at Vox VT series, Randall or something similar.
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Ive had a few people say that amp is good. I would love it at some point but right now thats out of my budget. And i dont buy of craigslist

And why not? I just bought an old upright piano for $200 that plays fantastically. You just have to be smart about it.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Quote by RealUnrealRob
And why not? I just bought an old upright piano for $200 that plays fantastically. You just have to be smart about it.

I dont trust people on craigslist. Plain and simple
Quote by ibanezn00b5
I dont trust people on craigslist. Plain and simple

Never had a musician screw me out of anything on Craigslist...that's "guitar candyland"
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by teamscorpions
Never had a musician screw me out of anything on Craigslist...that's "guitar candyland"

I agree but some people don't want to. No point forcing them even though it's a better option.

FWIW TS, a lot of the guitars and amps I've owned through the years are from things like ebay/craigslist/kijiji. I never had a problem because obviously you check everything out and test it before you commit to a purchase. That's just common sense though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by teamscorpions

Im not refering to what they sell you. Im refering to people as people. I dont trust craigslist. After hereing people killing on it and stuff
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Im not refering to what they sell you. Im refering to people as people. I dont trust craigslist. After hereing people killing on it and stuff

Wow.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i'm no expert, and in the grand scheme of things i don't know good gear, but i went from a cube-15 to an HT-5 and was satisfied with the leap. i'm still using it, actually. and i do play black metal. decent metal tones, black or otherwise, can certainly be dialed in without any help from pedals. but, i've always preferred using less gain rather than more.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by teamscorpions

It can be. If you know EXACTLY what you're looking for, you'll probably do fine. Novice players may get screwed over by less than honest sellers.

Knowing is half the battle!
**** Blackstar, the dodgey c****. You're broke, in the US, and playing metal - why don't you have a 6505 of some sort already?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 30, 2014,
A Peavey 6505 is definitly the way to go for you.
If you don't like buying from craigslist check the used section of guitar center. There are a couple of 6505 combos on there for 399$
Quote by ~Luke~
A Peavey 6505 is definitly the way to go for you.
If you don't like buying from craigslist check the used section of guitar center. There are a couple of 6505 combos on there for 399$

Heres the thing thought a 6505 is 112w. Thats wayyy to loud for my bedroom and with other people in the house

Does peavy make a 6505 in a 60w head? I would love a head and cab over a combo but if the head cant be a lower wattage then i may as well stick with a combo amp
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Heres the thing thought a 6505 is 112w. Thats wayyy to loud for my bedroom and with other people in the house

Does peavy make a 6505 in a 60w head? I would love a head and cab over a combo but if the head cant be a lower wattage then i may as well stick with a combo amp

No. Its a 1×12 combo amp means 1 12 inch speaker. Pretty sure its 60 watts too...

The head is 120 watts

Quote by lemurflames
Use the volume knob if it's too loud

This
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 30, 2014,
Watts don't equal volume. Use the volume knob. If it's too loud, all amps will be too loud. They're amps, after all.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No. Its a 1×12 combo amp means 1 12 inch speaker. Pretty sure its 60 watts too...

The head is 120 watts

This

I cant find a combo amp on the 6505 though. Just the 6505+. Unless im not looking in the right place

I much prefer the tone on the 6505 over the 6505+. 6505 > 6534> 6505+
Quote by ibanezn00b5

Yeah, but the 6505 has this novel design feature called a volume control which takes care of that problem.

The combo has 2 speaker outputs so you can connect the amp to whatever speaker cabinet you want, just as you can with any head.

You can also very easily convert the 6505+ 112 into a head, as the entire amplifier assembly comes out of its case in one piece.
Quote by ibanezn00b5
I cant find a combo amp on the 6505 though. Just the 6505+. Unless im not looking in the right place

I much prefer the tone on the 6505 over the 6505+. 6505 > 6534> 6505+

THe difference tonally between the + and the regular version is not very significant on the high gain channel if you were to A/B the two heads. The + has the advantage of having a more usable clean channel than the regular version because the + has a bit more headroom and independent EQ controls for the clean and high gain channel, while on the regular version, the controls are only shared. THe only sacrifice you make with the + versions is that there is slightly less gain, but honestly the + has way more gain than you could ever want, so it isn't an issue whatsoever.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 30, 2014,
Quote by lemurflames
Watts don't equal volume. Use the volume knob. If it's too loud, all amps will be too loud. They're amps, after all.

Then i would have to keep the volume at like 1 and its going to sound crappy becuase its not at the volume it should be at to get the best effect from it
6505 212 and 5150 212. Heard they sounded different than their head versions, though. Haven't compared them myself.

1 on my 5150 212 is quite loud. But still sounds good. When I run it at whisper volumes, the volume knob tapers in a weird way and the amp just sounds like a fizzy mess. Same with my 5150 III.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Dec 30, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yeah, but the 6505 has this novel design feature called a volume control which takes care of that problem.

The combo has 2 speaker outputs so you can connect the amp to whatever speaker cabinet you want, just as you can with any head.

You can also very easily convert the 6505+ 112 into a head, as the entire amplifier assembly comes out of its case in one piece.

THe difference tonally between the + and the regular version is not very significant on the high gain channel if you were to A/B the two heads. The + has the advantage of having a more usable clean channel than the regular version because the + has a bit more headroom and independent EQ controls for the clean and high gain channel, while on the regular version, the controls are only shared. THe only sacrifice you make with the + versions is that there is slightly less gain, but honestly the + has way more gain than you could ever want, so it isn't an issue whatsoever.

I read up on that. Ive watched vids comparing the 2. I still prefer the 6505 tone over the +

Quote by lemurflames
6505 212 and 5150 212. Heard they sounded different than their head versions, though. Haven't compared them myself.

1 on my 5150 212 is quite loud. But still sounds good. When I run it at whisper volumes, the volume knob tapers in a weird way and the amp just sounds like a fizzy mess. Same with my 5150 III.

So do you like that sound with your volume at low?
At quiet, whisper volumes. No. But sometimes I don't have a choice. 1 sounds great to me. Just enough to really get the speakers moving and it is the highest I can push it before I need to put ear plugs in.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by ibanezn00b5
Then i would have to keep the volume at like 1 and its going to sound crappy becuase its not at the volume it should be at to get the best effect from it

This is the case with some amps, such as wanting to get an overdriven tone from something like a Marshall Plexi, but not so much with the 6505's. The preamp is what gives the vast, vast majority of the amp's saturation and compression, so the amp is going to sound relatively similar at bedroom volumes than it will on stage volumes.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
out of around 13 or 14 tube amps i ownat this moment, do only two (the splawns) couldn't do quiet. 5150's are fine. i am not an EE, but IIRC ten times the wattage is twice as loud. i have owned a lot of the little heads and regretted it. so just dial it in and you will be fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used--Peavey--6505-Plus-120W--Black-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110187622-i3778673.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-EVH-5150-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110783891-i4110993.gc

Watch used listings for these two amps.

Keep in mind the tubes will most likely need to be replaced. Mine arrived with power tubes that didn't have much life left in them.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used--Peavey--6505-Plus-120W--Black-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110187622-i3778673.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-EVH-5150-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110783891-i4110993.gc

Watch used listings for these two amps.

Keep in mind the tubes will most likely need to be replaced. Mine arrived with power tubes that didn't have much life left in them.

Hm for that price, i could just buy a new 6505+ 112 new and not have to worry about buying used.
You could do that, yup. Music Go Round has some for $400 used, before tax/shipping.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
You could do that, yup. Music Go Round has some for $400 used, before tax/shipping.

Are the 6505 hard to find or Discontinued? i see plenty of the plus versions
I think the 6505 212 are discontinued. Stores stopped listing them. The 5150 212 and 6505 212 are made in the US while the 6505+ 112 is made in China, IIRC. I'm guessing the 212 wasn't selling very well since it's so easy to get one used.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2