I've made a few recordings using a zoom h1, needless to say the recordings were not great.

One comment made on them was "it could be helped by widening the sound, so it's not so mono"

Now, I only have one amp, is it possible to make stereo recordings with just one amp or do I need to invest in another?

I was looking at the Focusrite scarlett 2i2. I had been recommended a 2 input audio interface, is this what I need or, again, would I need two amps for this to use both the inputs? Or two mics? Would using just 1 mic result in a mono sound?

Sorry, have no idea.
Last edited by marklcfc at Dec 29, 2014,
You can definitely make stereo recordings with one amp. I assume the commenter was talking about multi-tracking; if not, then I have no idea.

Anyway, you multi-track by recording the same part twice (NOT copy-pasting one take) and panning each take hard left and hard right, between 70-100%. It fills out the sound immensely.

One of my favorite things to do is to multi-track two takes, so that I have four of them, and do two distorted and two overdriven, then blend them all together.
Oh right, is that the only way to get stereo? It takes me about 10 attempts just to get 1 version right,so it would be be difficult to replicate that after :/

As I create quite an ambient sound with effects
If you can't play it consistently then you need to practice more. Two or three takes is fine, but if I were an engineer (or a band member) and you took 10 takes to get it right I'd tell you to come back when you can play your part.
I don't mean to be a dick but you should treat recording yourself the same as if you were recording in a studio. Put in the same amount of effort preparing, set time aside to do it properly, set a deadline for it to be finished. Your recordings will likely improve significantly by doing this.
Regarding the audio interface, do I need a 2 input interface like the focusrite 2i2? I'll only be using 1 mic and 1 amp. I wasn't sure whether I was suggested that I get a 2 input interface to use with 2 mics / amps.
The H1 has a stereo mic and can actually make pretty decent recordings with a little trial and error. Recording one track of guitar from one close mic'd source will always sound like mono at first. You could use reverb and delay to create more of a soundstage. It just depends on your end goals.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
you can:

1) overdub

2) record with 2 mics, 1 amp. place them wide enough to make the wide sensation. obviously 2 separated channels.

3) use your effects stereo outs and either use 2 amps or 2 amp sim (i tend to prefer this for those kind of goals)

4) use a stereo spread/wide plugin, wich gives you a pseudo stereo feel.

in first 3 scenarios you want to hard pan btw.
One of the reasons the usual recommendations are for 2 input interfaces, is that there are very few good 1 channel ones. IIRC there's an Apogee, but that's about it for good ones (and they're mac only).

2 mics on one amp won't do much in the way of widening in my experience. For it to work there has to be enough difference in the sound, but if the playing is identical (same source) then it's going to have to be a different tone due to mic placement, which leaves the mix feeling lopsided.

I usually have a similar issue with two amps/reamping twice/two amp sims. Because you have to have a different tone to get the stereo effect it tends to feel lopsided, with one side sounding brighter and the other darker (or scooped/mid-heavy, etc.).

Stereo spread plugins are the plague, avoid them if at all possible. They work mainly of a concept called the Haas effect, which is a result of shifting one side by 20msec or so to make them out of phase. Sounds a bit off on speakers, but when you put headphones on it feels like you're brain's being sucked out of your ears.
Quote by chatterbox272
They work mainly of a concept called the Haas effect, which is a result of shifting one side by 20msec or so to make them out of phase. Sounds a bit off on speakers, but when you put headphones on it feels like you're brain's being sucked out of your ears.

Is this not recommended then?
I tested it out and my recording sounded way better. "it's clear one's mono and the other is really wide" is what was said when comparing the original to the new one
Last edited by marklcfc at Dec 30, 2014,
The problem arises with headphones or mono playback. Try hitting the mono button on your DAW which and listen to it, it'll sound thinner and emptier than it did before because of the phase cancellation. And it often results in a rather uncomfortable feeling when listening through headphones (especially in-ear headphones) again due to the phase cancellation.

It's a cheap trick, and it has all the downsides of a cheap trick. It's very rarely used outside of beginners who refuse to put in the time and effort to learn to play well enough to properly double track.